1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Drug info - The First Time Questions and Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by stndguy, Mar 2, 2004.

1. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    There are dozens of mushrooms that look very similiar to liberty caps, the chance of finding them growing in your yard is very small espicially as many of the look-alikes would be a more obvious contender, unless of course you live on land that is a suitable enviroment. Do you have cattle on your land by any chance?

What have you done to positivly identify them, have you taken a spore print or are you comfortable enough with mushroom identification to know they are liberty caps? I ask because there are many similiar mushrooms that will make you pretty ill if you have it wrong.

As for doseage, dont count them, weigh them.
    If they are fresh then 15 - 20 grams is a good dose, if they are dried then 1.5 - 2.0 grams.

2. smw66466

smw66466 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've done a lot of drugs, but never a psychedelic. The closest thing I've done to psychedelics such as Mushrooms, Peyote, or LSD is DXM. I've done a fourth plateau dose a couple times and achieved ego death once. I never had any problems. I've also experienced hallucinations on Welbutrin and DPH which I didn't handle as well as I did DXM. DPH scared the hell out of me. How well prepared do you all think I am for the mushroom experience and what kind of dose should I do? I was thinking I'd just eat an eighth but a lot of people have told me that the first time I should try a half eighth and not to do anymore until my next time.

3. ljfe

ljfe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Depends on the strain of mushrooms. The first time I did mushrooms I was 13 years old and ate an 8th of Gold Caps (Cubensis). It was too intense...just over the top. I didn't really have visuals during that trip, but thought I was going to die and had an out of body experience. I repeated the same dose months later and had an even worse trip with visuals.

That being said, DXM is a strong drug. You seem to have experience. I had done DPH prior to my mushroom trips as well.

If you're looking at trying Cubensis specifically, ~1.7g is a pleasant place to start. More depending on how much ego death you want...or if you near the 1/8th range, how bad of a trip you are willing to experience. Am I glad I experienced those trips looking back? Of course! But maybe at a little older age lol.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  4. fluffle

fluffle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    sup dudes, afof is looking to do shrooms for the first time he is 153lbs .. 18 years old.... 5'7".... what would be the appropriate dose for him to take?

5. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Read my post a few above yours.
    This question has been asked and answered many times, if you read the thread or UTFSE you will find answers without having to post.

Obviously it will depend on what type of mushrooms you have, but psilocybe cubensis are the type that are most commonly sold. If they are these then the dose i mentioned above is a good place to start.
    Makesure to research them as much as possible so you know what to expect.
    Take them somewhere you feel safe and comfortable, with people you are comfortable around and when you are in a good, happy head space.

You can always try a lower dose of a gram dried or 10 grams fresh to get the minimum of effects for the first time.

Make sure you weigh them using a good scale.

Having a sober sitter is also recommended.

6. Christophoros

Christophoros Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Is psilocybin something that is necessary to have a sitter for? Or is it fine if two friends take it together for the first time on a low dose (like 1g)?

7. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    While I certainly do think it's a good idea to have a trip sitter for your first trip, I also wouldn't say it's an absolute necessity either as long as you (and your friend - there are few things that suck more than dealing with someone who is freaking out while you are tripping yourself) are well prepared and are fairly confident that you can handle anything you may encounter on the inside (although a little pre-trip anxiety is completely normal). There are tons of people who took their first dose of a psychedelic alone and were just fine.

However if things do wind up getting rough, it can be extremely reassuring to have someone around who knows what they are doing in the real, materialistic world. Especially if they are a good sitter, someone who you feel comfortable with and can just be yourself around, and who respects psychedelics and those who are on them. Someone with experience with psychedelics is a major plus.

Sometimes it just depends on what kind of friends you have though. For example, my opinion is that you'd be better off without a sitter if the only people willing to do it have a poor attitude towards it, or are unlikely to show respect and understanding. Psychedelics make you really sensitive to other people's moods and vibes, and tripping around the wrong people can affect you more than you might think.

You've got the right idea as far as dose goes though. Keep it low the first time, and stay positive. You can always take more next time.

8. Vater Satan mit uns

Vater Satan mit uns Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o from U.S.A.
    I have never done shrooms before, but I have always wanted to try them. What are the chances of having a panic attack and or severe anxiety when taking them if you commonly have it without any drug? Would smoking weed with them help any bit? I really would like to know. Personally, I do not want to do a large dose because I fear there would be repercussions.

9. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Everyone reacts differently to psychedelics, so it's really hard to say for sure man... But I would say that having a preexisting anxiety condition would surely increase the risk of this surfacing while tripping. Psychedelics do just amplify what you're currently feeling, after all... If you're happy, tripping will make you euphoric. If you're sad, tripping may make you cry like a 3 year old. And if you're a little anxious, tripping could cause you to panic.

Psychedelics can be unpredictable, and we all have rough or difficult experiences at some point, no matter how strong willed or well prepared you may think you are, but it's important to keep in mind that if you are really worried about having a panic attack or bad trip it might be a good idea to hold off until you get your confidence up a little. Again, tripping will cause you to experience your current emotions and thoughts tenfold, intensifying your worries and fears of having a bad trip and making it much more likely to actually happen. As a result, this confirms your uncertainties and makes future trips much more difficult. A bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy really.

I would hold off on the weed until you are able to get a taste for how you handle mushrooms on their own. Weed itself can cause anxiety in some people, and although many (myself included) enjoy smoking a bowl while tripping, it has been known to lead to extreme anxiety in some when taken in combination with a psychedelic.

If you have weighed the risks and decide to try it out, remember that taking psychedelics is kind of like driving a car: Odds are you will not get in an accident, but there is always that chance, and the probability increases depending on how reckless you get. Keep the dose low, consider having a sober sitter with you (or better yet, have an experienced friend trip with you, if possible), and if you have access to them keep some benzodiazepines on hand as a last result if things get to be too much.

Above all, stay positive! :)

10. malborochildren

malborochildren Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Testing

malborochildren added 5 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

before use of these mushrooms, i was a very calm and psychically stable person.
    but after eating amanita muscaria mushrooms, while in affect by this drug,
    suddenly, without true reason, i decided to commit suicide!
    suddenly i started to smash my head into wall, then into floor!!
    and when i understood that i will not succeed to commit suicide this way,
    i started to scream hysterically like a slaughtering animal.
    then my neibhours came and called an ambulance.
    yet they kept me in hospital only a day, and then released after i calmed down.
    (because they were legal at these years)

but after some time had passed, i decided to try psilocybe cubensis (magic mushrooms).
    this time, the consumption of these mushrooms - this drove me to complete insanity and psychical exhaustion!
    i no longer could separate reality. i was crying all the time, calling for help.
    i became completely lost. i do not find the right words to explain how i felt...
    even many days after this "journey", i could not calm down.
    the people around me, my relatives, noticed this (it was impossible not to notice).
    so they called an ambulance. this time doctors admitted that i became mentally ill,
    and placed me into psychiatric hospital. now i am sick of schizophrenia,
    i am using hard medicine (zyprexa), and every week have to go to hospital.
    but this does not help. i can't sleep, and if i sleep i dream nightmares,
    i can't work - so i have very shitty situation with money.
    and i never stop thinking about committing suicide.

however, on the other hand, i admit seeing some nice visuals, rainbows, nature looked very beautiful.
    but this positive experiences, compared to the psychical damage which i suffered,

is really not worthy. do not to risk to suffer so much with many years lasting mental damage.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  11. pseudoscience

pseudoscience Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    (deleted)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  12. VikendicaGuy

VikendicaGuy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from croatia
    Hello, I'm new here so I wanted to ask you guys for some help with the shrooms. Me and 4 of my friends did a lot of stuff so we can say that we've been thru a lot and we know each other well enough so we are covered on that part, we are also going to have trip sitters with us in the house in case of an emergency. My questions to you are: What is the best magic truffle for a beginner and can you recommend something slightly more stronger than that? How much should each of us take and how long will it last? We heard that we can make a tea out it instead of chewing on it and can someone describe a process step by step so we don't fu*k something up? Thanks for your help!

13. Ms2k

Ms2k Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    im so glad im not the only one. i was freaking out thanks

Ms2k added 5 Minutes and 26 Seconds later...

AFOAF told me to Start off with psilocybe cubensis, A good trip each of you should take half an eigth. It should last about 4-6 hours. i have no knowledge on the tea SWIM eats them with strawberrys

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  14. Elster

Elster Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from currently Germany
    Hi everyone,

I’d love to read your opinions about my plans.

I have little experience with drugs but I’m very attracted to some kinds of experiences and for some time I’ve been looking for opportunities to try various things (unfortunately I’ve been living in countries where it’s not possible to get such substances legally and I don’t have the necessary social connections, knowledge about where and how to move, and more. I was already scammed by drug dealers.)

Anyway, I smoked cannabis for a few years as a teenager (now I’m 31), ate a couple of space muffins 5 months ago, and tried salvia divinorum in the last months but I didn’t felt anything (I ‘m not giving up). With cannabis too I had no or very low effects by the way. And then I get drunk sometimes, which is easy.

I’ve never tried mushrooms but I will next week as I’ll spend 4 days in the Netherlands. I’m going there only to have these kinds of experiences and to have a good or interesting time. I want to make these days count, since I normally don’t have access to these substances. So I would like to try something each of the 4 days.

Would it be feasible / advisable to eat (low dosages of) mushrooms for 4 days? (I read that the tolerance builds up fast, but as a first-timer I would be satisfied with low-medium trips anyway. Actually I’d be better avoiding powerful trips as I’ll have no sitter and I’m not a very cheerful person, although I’m mentally healthy and stable.)

I’m open to suggestions about how to use these days: perhaps would it be better, for example, to take mushrooms on day 1 and 3, and something else on days 2 and 4? (Something reasonable for an unexperienced user and buyable in a smartshop. I’m open and curious about many drugs.)

15. Kathy1221

Kathy1221 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Somewhere over the rainbow
    Please read more on this site. Several post before yours, Phugushead gives a great plan for using mushrooms. There are many other posts about using mushrooms. You need to know what kind you are planning on taking. Being by your self and an unexperienced user, will be a tough way to start tripping. Please make sure you are in a safe place and take small amounts, if you go through with your plan to do this. You are smart to want more information and searching this site is a great way to find out what you need to know. The Search Function is at the top of the page - underneath your user name. There lots of first time user experiences! Good Luck on your trip! :cool:

16. Elster

Elster Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from currently Germany
    Ok, sorry. I read quite a lot and I thought mine was a particular enough question, but I'm doing as you suggest.