The issue of potency

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by Benzeneringz, May 20, 2006.

1. Benzeneringz

Benzeneringz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Smoking several bowls of lower-potency 'commercial' ganga cannot compare to smoking a little 'high potency' bud, IMO. It would make sense that the amount of lower-quality bud you smoke would make a difference in the overall intensity of the high but I don't find this to be true. For example, smoking a lot of low-quality weed doesn't take me to the place a little bit of sensamilla does. Anyone know what I mean? I would guess that the chemical composition of 'good' marijuana differs from 'okay' marijuana when it comes to cannabinoids, but delta-9-tetrahudrocannabinol is the same no matter where it's found. So when you smoke a lot of 'okay' pot, the level of THC in your blood should get up there to around what it is when you smoke a little good pot. But this just isn't the case. Perhaps the difference in THC is much larger than I imagine it to be when it comes to ditchweed v. sensamilla. Perhaps there is a greater influence of other cannabinoids than what I imagine. Anyone have any input, if I'm even making sense.

2. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yeah your making sense,
    Low quality weed is more useful for making hash oil, or making hash rather than having to smoke loads to get an effect, Also THC is not the only thing in weed there are many others CBD, different variations, It also depends on how the plant was treated when was grown, how the bud was harvested if harvested to early for example (THC as the plant ripens the little white hairs on the buds gradually go brown as it matures, while this is happening the THC is degrading into other variants like CBD) This alters the high most weed will have verifying amounts of the psychoactive chems which in someways dictate on how the high will be , weather it be a heady high, or couch lock kinda high, most strains tend to have a combination, no weed is never the same well apart from if it came from the same plant. But hows its handled before the user gets it also plays apart.

3. Benzeneringz

Benzeneringz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I know of tetrahydrocannabinol degrading into cannabidol and whatnot. I don't think you understood my question. I don't want to try and explain what I mean but thanks for the input anyway.

4. freespirt

freespirt Newbie

Reputation Points:
    actully low grade pot gives you lowgrade hash fer exaple my used 1oz of afgain and he got 2grms of oil. he then bought a 1oz of press and got alittle over a gram. its just prof. the better the bud the better the hash oil bubble or kif. and i fell sorry for anyone smoken press my buddie benn feeding me mrnice g13 and some white widow :)

5. deadhead

deadhead Newbie

Reputation Points:
    "Just okay" pot is filled with other cannabinoids, the cannabis effect is one of the most complex of psychoactive plants... Cannabis has more than 60 cannabinoids, and even though delta-9-thc is the most know the others certainly play a role...
    Just look at dronabinol (pure thc), totally diferent effect.

6. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Good hash/hash oil is made from resin from the plant. In South/South-West Asia they tend to just throw out the weed itself.

7. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yes Good hash and oil but it still comes from the buds regardless of its quality sweetie. but common sense if its better material to begin with the final product be good as well. , people use hash or green to make oil. You can also hand rub buds to make hand rubbed pollen (hash) best with disposable gloves. Swia has found hand rubbed to more potent. rather then other methouds the bubblebag is still yet to be tried.

Also swia hates using the term hash now because of the crappy low grade hash has taken its name, hence swia calls it kif,pollen,

Still nothing beats nice home grown northan lights or a heavy indica strain with dence trichrome production... mmmmm:smoker:

8. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Swim call good stuff hash and the other stuff zegg (shit).

Swim thinks that good Afghani, Nepalese, or Lebanese hash beats the shit out of any weed he has ever tried (though Swiss indoor comes close).

He likes the hallucinogenic "stoned" feeling alot more than just being high.

9. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Swia herself likes a mixture can seee where your coming from, if u love the hallucinogenic type, Haze are a must depending on its genetics,plant health etc..

depends on swia mood, social settings sativas are brillant, skunk haze in perticular make swia very chatty not stupidly giggerling at everything like some strains do but also great for meditating with providing u had practice first sober. you can reach all sorts states.. Indica tends to make swia munch out more which is good for medical applications like chemo patients eating,hiv sufferers as it can allow them to eat however as thc lowers the immune system it could be counter productive... sorry lost in it again lol:crazy

10. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    If you didnt mean what alicia or SWIa seemed to say ( from reading your first post i would have answered similarly) what did you mean Benzeneringz? its a a bit unfair to start a topic and then hide your thoughts away. you mention chemical composition, I would guess that all bud contains the same things just quantities varies.

11. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Over time thc degrades into other cannaboids cbd and a great deal many others depends on how it is kept even in plastic bags the cure. cure after harvesting when dry of course changes the becomes more smoother to smoke and gradual removeal of moisture in the bud themselves..

12. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    exactly, the way it was origionally proposed SWIM wondered if benzeneringz or SWother than him thought that "good bud" just contained some cannaboids while "low quality" bud contained a wider variety or different ones.
    SWIM aimed by his previous post to say that to my knowlage all bud harvested at somthing like the right time would contain all the same things just in different amounts rarther than none of one type of cannaboid and some of another.
    I was questioning ( not intentionally in a stupid or mocking way) the thread starters use of the tearm "chemical composition", and trying to decide wether benzeneringz Or SWIben was trying to say all the same things are there in good and bad bud but in varying amounts ( which I would agree with)
    OR
    that better bud contained not quantity wise but just there or not different cannaboids. (with this I would dissagree)
    With much respect to Alicia or SWIA I have an ok or good understanding of THC breakdown into other cannaboids. thanks anyhow as many people still seem not too

13. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    its early days geezaman. peope are gradually becoming more and more a where of the growing practices.

also some harvest at different stages of of flowering growth if harvested to early as the white hairs or creamy white hairs. the high will be heady,more hazy, then if they were to go brown,orange,red harvested at the time will produce a more body couch lock strain depending on whether its a sativa or indica. Swia personally like a balance of the two. its largely down to taste.

14. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I have been going on the 70% guide ( harvest when 70% of th 'hairs' on the bud have turned) so far and seems to have succeeded this time, but of course when snipping the first few buds especially if there is a bit of a drought on what is actually about 40% is near enough 70%. I would guess he judged this harvest best so far, harvesting only 2 buds way too early (and not the nice big top colas like last year lol) then getting about 1/4 of the harvest slightly early for a nice high over stone and so far 1/2 of the harvest at around that 70% mark for slightly more stone than high and as of yet still 1/4 of lower buds to mature, these will probably be harvested somewhere in between. my only sadness this year has been the taste, which is not that great on KC36s. hopefully next year or later this year with another grow under my belt, he will be more experienced and have yet better results.
    I just love these Little flights of fantasy this site allows us!:D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  15. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    yes its great, like that.. grapefruit strain nice too

16. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    just out of interest, is that previous post suggesting that You thinks KCs grapefruit has a more pleasant flavor compared to KC36. or just as stated that grapefruit is nice. been intending to try another strain for a while and will probably be considering taste and aroma when deciding. with a lack of space KC36 has Bent sWIMs only success so far and after getting a female, cloning rejuvenating and cloning again has seemed sensible (and worthwhile Rather than risk 3-4 months of wasted time on a male) don't suppose SWIalicia has any knowledge of nebula or belladonna of paradise seeds? at the moment one of these is likely to be my next venture, still hoping to rejuvenate Sabrina for another season of KC36 though. KC36s worked well for SWIM while at home because of low sent and when noticeable sent was somewhere between a pine forest and cat piss ( both better than a smell of skunk for covertness sake) sadly even though the end product is not, the taste can best be described as musty/moldy.

17. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Hmmm...I would think that the reason why you don't get the same high when using schwag is the ratios between different cannabinoids. I've heard that most of the schwag in the US is imported from Mexico (the reason behind the "bricks" of marijuana, for exportation) so, it takes some time to get to the consumer. Also, these "bricks" are crushed marijuana which is a "no-no", it crushes the precious trichomes which contain most of the cannabinoids. If Marijuana is not stored properly then it will degrade. THC has a tendency to degrade into CBN and CBD over time. CBN doesn't have psychoactive effects, although, CBD does but they're not the same as THC. So, I would suspect the reason why one cannot attain the same high is because the ratios are most likely vastly different. Also, it usually appears to swim that a lot of kind bud seems rather fresh and better taken care of in general (of course, because much of the low-grade stuff is taken from fields of marijuana plants which don't receive as much attention).