The legal status of DXM

Discussion in 'DXM' started by Paracelsus, May 14, 2007.

1. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This thread is intended to collect factual information about the legal status of DXM (both in medicine and pure form) in countries around the world. Please provide also forms of medically used DXM available and sales restrictions (age limits, quantity limits, ordering over the net, etc.).

If possible, please post reference.

Do NOT copy info from Erowid, etc. Their legal status section on DXM is based on reports from users who do not always know what they are talking about (I verified this with my country).

I'll start with my country.

ROMANIA

DXM HBr is tehnically prescription only. Available as syrup (two brands that I am aware of 1 respectively 1.33 mg/ml) and tablets (one brand, two dosage variations: 10 and 20 mg). Both types tehnically prescription only. Preparations widely sold without prescription in many pharmacies, even to minors. Some pharmacies refuse to sell large quantities or when the customer looks otherwise suspicious.

For the US, I'd be interested in both federal and state laws.

Last edited: May 14, 2007
  2. Female

Female Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.S.A.
    Crap, SWIM just posted a thread about the change of law regarding DXM in her state and country. I will add to it here.

United States - Virginia State Law;

Dextromethorphan HBr is avaliable as syrup (Dexalone I believe) and in liquid gel form (15mg/20 pills per bottle is normal dosage for the gels that she sees). It is over the counter, until recently, (May 25th, 2007) where it is now restricted only to 18 years and older, and may be removed off the shelf and placed behind pharmacy counters.

So far, pharmacies are now being educated on the details regarding the abuse of the drug, and may be looking deeper into the persons that are buying this drug.

This is all I know off the top of her head. Any person willing to correct/add would be appreciated.

3. Pomzazed

Pomzazed Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from thailand
    Thailand
    DXM is currently still uncontrolled, there are still advertising many DXM containing medications on TV.

However, buying DXM med in large amount will catch you some eyes.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    While dextromethorphan is not a controlled substance (USA), using it in any manner that is inconsistent with the use as stated on the label is illegal.. So you could be arrested for taking more than 2 teaspoons or whatever it says to take for your cough.

Having the pure molecule is not illegal. But to offer/use as a drug without FDA approval (homemade cough syrup, anyone?) could get one into a nasty legal jam.

5. Paracelsus

Paracelsus Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    On Erowid it says that some US states have made pure DXM or DXM used for any other reason than as a cough suppressant illegal. Illinois is one of them if I recall correctly. Does anyone have some reference on this(preferably first-hand from a law website or similar)?

6. Veteran Joker

Veteran Joker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What's the legal status regarding England? Rumour has it that it can potentiate cannabis.

7. Sangye

Sangye Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Oregon:

DXM is uncontrolled in Oregon, as of the last time I went to the store. Many store chains have adopted policies requiring cashiers to card buyers, hoever, presumably because it is against store policy to sell it to minors.

As someone said above, taking any OTC medication in a manner inconsistent with it's product labeling can be tried as a federal offense, and punishable as such. I'm not sure about this, but it would stand to reason that if you were caught buying an unreasonable amount of DXM-containing meds, police could theoretically investigate you, as it would present "probable cause" of a federal offense.

DXM powder, however, is not an OTC med and is also uncontrolled (as far as I know) in Oregon, so that's an obvious loophole.

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo was outright refused the sale of 2 - 8 ounce bottles of cough syrup. And Bongo don't look like no kid. Bongo demanded to see the supervisor of the store (chain-store). The byotch called the boss.

Bongo gave 'em both a basic lesson in how to read a label. What Bongo wanted was guafenisen. NOT DXM! They apologized. Bongo told 'em to shove it up their ass and went to another store.

9. jcdjinn

jcdjinn Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    In California, I am carded whenever buying robotussin because he looks young and the legal age limit is 18, but many places don't seem to follow this rule. Also, SWIM once tried buying three bottles at once and was told he could not purchase more than 2 bottles at once.

10. Shiacmkmleer

Shiacmkmleer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    IDK if theres a legal thing (ill bet its just store policy) but I get carded at the pharmacies near my house. Although if someone is under 18 they can go around and I've heard generally within 5 trys they can get it.

11. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It's over-the-counter in Texas (a small country in between the US and Mexico).

Amusing note: Swim once had a bottle of wine and a bottle of Robitussin in his shopping basket at the grocery. He was carded for the cough syrup after the clerk had passed the wine through uneventfully. I am 32 years old. :)

ECL