Culture - The Little Book of Ketamine

Discussion in 'Ketamine' started by Grautr, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Grautr

Grautr Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    someone who SWIM knew told him once that the woman who
    wrote this book died after taking ketamine and then froze to
    death outside sitting under a tree. Can anyone confirm this
    story or is it an old wives tale?

2. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    It is not an old wive's tale.

The woman was Marica Moore. She was a writer on astrology, yoga and other esoteric subjects, who at the age of 48 became fascinated by ketamine. Before dying she wrote a fascinating book called "Journeys into the Bright World" (1968, supposedly co-authored by her husband, Howard Altounian, MD). She developed the idea of "Samadhi therapy" (ketamine therapy) and chronicled her use of the drug in great detail, but in those days the dangers of psychological addiction to K was not well understood. Her husband was an anesthetist, so she had ready access to it, but as he was becoming worried about her by then daily use of the drug she took to going into a nearby forest and injecting herself with it under a tree so he would not know. One day she died of exposure at the age of 50-- he took two years trying to find her. (A couple of web sites say that she injected herself whilst in the tree, but that's not true!)

There are more details in Karl Jansen's "Ketamine: Dreams and Realities" which anyone interested in K should read.

Another ketamine enthusiast, DM Turner, author of "The Pyschedelics Guide"died after injecting K and falling into a bath.

John Lilly, author of "The Scientist" and dolphin researcher, the most famous of all ketamine users, nearly drowned to death and was interned in psychiatric hospitals a few times. Two of his friends 'researching" K also died.

It's a unique and bizzare drug, but needs to be treated with respect!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  3. Grautr

Grautr Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Thanks very much for confirming that story. Indeed it should be treated with respect. Although I dont know of anyone who died from ketamine use I was at a party once where someone k-holed and fell out of a seventh story window. Amazingly he survived.

4. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Wow! Probably because he was so relaxed! Jansen, who must know more about the recreational use of ketamine than anyone else, confirms that very few people have died as a result of ketamine. ODing is virtually impossible, especially if you snort it. I love the effects of it, but I don't take it very often.

5. circsee

circsee Newbie

Reputation Points:
    is it worth reading?

6. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    ^If you mean "The Little Book of Ketamine"-- yes, its a good introduction or primer. If you are interested in ketamine, Karl Jansen's book is essential reading. The book is not advocating the use of ketamine, as it is very clear about the dangers involved.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  7. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    That ties it! I'm going to write: The Golden Guide to Disassociative Anesthetics. Bongo will be in a book store near you for the signings.

8. JewishNazi

JewishNazi Gold Member Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Funny fact: While drunk-drivers cause more car accidents than sober drivers, they also sustain less injuries because their bodies are less rigid

9. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I can believe that-- does it apply to apes driving under the influence of ketamine?

10. JasK

JasK Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I tried that... Cruising on K. The only carcrash I could make was with parked cars. Didn't hit anything, lucky enough. You can't drive fast enough on K to kill yourself. At least I couldn't....
    I got home alright, but way later as planned. ;)

11. napoleon in rags

napoleon in rags Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I cannot stress how unsafe that sounds, ketamine slows my reaction time by a good COUPLE OF SECONDS, and that's a lot of time even if you're driving slow

12. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    Driving on ketamine, if you can even remember what a car is, sounds like a recipe for suicide...

13. DonPeyote

DonPeyote Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Actually, I quite enjoyed driving on low doses Of K.
    Everytime I drove home from Tijuana with a new batch, I would IM waiting in line for the border, then IM once evry 15 minutes, for the 75 mile drive home. Only .25-.45 cc's each shot though......

Also, I noticed that some of the batches manufactured clandestinely for the black market in Tijuana were absolutely ecstatic and euphoric as compared to the Ketaset, Ketalar, TTokyo brand, etc pharmaceuticals. Possibly they made batches of the stero-isomer which is more potent, with no preservative. The stuff was amazing!

DP

14. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    When I am on ketamine, everything moves with a slow frame rate. He can literally walk down a set of stairs and still imagine himself at the top of the stairs by the time he reaches the bottom. Walking down a set of stairs is hard/scary enough, I do not want to even think what it would be like to drive.

Enquirewithin.....do you have any idea how John Lilly's friends died while "researching" ketamine?

15. DonPeyote

DonPeyote Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Darn! My Cat is writing posts again under my name!
    Bad Kitty!
    Meorw, Meow, MMMMf (Sorry in Catonese.....)

DP

16. enquirewithin

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I'll have to look it up. I recall that one of them may have driven off the edge of a cliff! He was probably under the influence. People knew much less about the dangers of ketamine then.

17. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I thought the effects ketamine has on driving skills are pretty obvious. That is a hell of a way to die though. Cant say I would complain.