Drug info - The Midazolam (Versed) MetaThread

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by feenixdung, Aug 29, 2004.

1. feenixdung

feenixdung Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have a vial of Midazolam (Versed) 10mg is it possible to drink the injectable form of this drug? Will it change the effect of the drug and answers would be helpful

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
  2. Gahaba22

Gahaba22 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I would think that you could. However, with so little payoff, I would not risk it. You have to look at the risk/benefit.

geeb

3. BA

BA Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    IV sedation for mechanical ventilation: load with 0.2 mg/Kg, then begin infusion with 2 mcg/Kg/min. Increase infusion rate every 30 minutes in increments of 1 mcg/Kg/min. until desired level of sedation is obtained. Concurrent sedation with morphine is used in children.

IM sedation for procedure or pre-op: 0.08 mg/Kg/dose, give 1 dose only.

Rectal sedation: 0.3 mg/Kg/dose, diluted in 5 ml normal saline, give one dose only

Metabolized by hydroxylation and conjugation prior to excretion in urine. Metabolites have little sedative effect.

Toxicity Respiratory depression (particularly with excessive doses or rapid IV infusions), hiccoughs, nausea, vomiting, headache, drowsiness.

References Benitz & Tatro, Pediatric Drug Handbook, 2nd edition, page 92, 1988

VERSED is a sedative that requires administration and individualization of dosage. Clinical experience has shown VERSED to be 3 to 4 times as potent as diazepam. BECAUSE SERIOUS AND LIFE-THREATENING CARDIORESPIRATORY ADVERSE EVENTS HAVE BEEN REPORTED, PROVISION FOR MONITORING, DETECTION AND CORRECTION OF THESE REACTIONS MUST BE MADE FOR EVERY PATIENT TO WHOM VERSED INJECTION IS ADMINISTERED, REGARDLESS OF AGE OR HEALTH STATUS. Excessive single doses or rapid intravenousadministration may result in respiratory depression, airway obstruction and/or arrest. The potential for these latter effects is increased in debilitated patients, receiving concomitant medications capable of depressing the CNS, and patients without an endotracheal tube but undergoing a procedure involving the upper airway such as endoscopy or dental

Reactions such as agitation, involuntary movements, hyperactivity and combativeness have been reported in adult and pediatric patients. Should such reactions occur, caution should be exercised before continuing administration of VERSED

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2007
  4. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Anyone ever tried this ?

I came across of 130 of these, 7.5mg and 15 mg.

Do they have any recreational value ?

I heard they're pretty strong, but 15 mg dormicum = 20 mg Diazepam.

So i'm a bit confused [​IMG]

5. BlueMystic

BlueMystic Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    They do have recreational value. Some people like to IV these. As they are one of the only pill form benzo's that can be safely IV'd. Edited by: BlueMystic

6. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    versed (midazolam)

I've had an anxiety and panic disorder for 30 some odd years and have tried many benzo's ,but I have never tried versed. On other sites some people claim it is like taking 6-8 mg. of xanax. Can anyone give me any clues to this benzo? I'm having a hard time believing the claim compaired to taking that much xanax to 7.5 mg. of midazolam.Any info would be great ,thanks.
    I'm new here and I hope this is not a stupid question.

7. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    i have heard that it is very strong. im not sure of the ratio with xanax, but it is used widely as an anesthetic. Are you speaking of a pill? i have never heard of a pill, only a syrup/liquid. i would think it would be too strong for anxiety issues, maybe at a very very small dose. But anyway it is a much stronger benzo compared to xanax and triazolam.

8. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks- you can find them at 7.5mg. on some international OP's .I'm mainly curious to try to save some cash instead of what I have to pay now.

9. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    hmm id try those if i was still into that. i have taken massive amounts of xanax before and felt barely anything( when i had a tolerance), but my bet is that even with a tolerance u take a couple of those and you'll def be feeling it. That pill is probably used for surgeries and things where they need to knock u unconcious for a procedure. u probably take like 1 an hour before the operation and another right before. so with a tolerance and for recreational use id say that same dose would be fun. let me know how it works if u try it. it may be worth one last benzo binge.haha

10. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I just might try them. If I do I will tell you all about it.

11. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Does anyone know more about the effects of this drug? I'm very curious and am dwelling on using them. Any info would be very wecome. Thanks.

12. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o
    My use them and thinks their poo poo. I have the roche 7.5mg tabs and they dont even put swim to sleep, he can take 10 and not feel much.

I am going to desolve 10 of them and drink it and see if it does anything this morning.

13. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Now I'm realy in limbo about using them.
    mark v - do they work for anxiety and are there any side affects that might stop me from trying them? Can you tell me how they compair to xanax or valium ? Thanks

14. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I don't think they are usable for anxiety, because they are sleeping pills.
    Maybe in a small dose, you feel relaxed, kinda like Lorazepam.
    But there are better benzo's out there for anxiety IMO.
    Versed is mostly used for operations, as an anesthetic and are rarely prescribed by any doc or psych for sleeping disorder because of the nasty withdrawl effects it causes, even after a week.
    I used them once for about 10 days in row and got withdrawel symptomes during the day.
    So be carefull with this one, it's not like most other benzo's.
    Way too strong and I would not recommed using them recreationally, because they are VERY addictive and withdrawel symptones you get are real nasty and are surfacing even after using them for a short period.
    My advice : stay away from them ! ;-)

15. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thanks mark v , You have made my decission for me.

16. mark_v

mark_v Newbie

Reputation Points:
    All i know is that SWIM's friens keep begging him for some Versed.
    They prefer it over Xanax.
    But swim just used them to get some sleep, and that helped a lot.
    Far more better then Ambien... for sleeping that is..

17. dr ACE

dr ACE Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
  18. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I was given it when getting some teeth out, it was strong, very strong.

19. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Some more Info

As far as SWIJ is aware Versed is only available as a parenteral formula and (in the US) as a syrup which is only liscensed for paediatric sedation. It is a a schedule IV drug in the US and schedule 4 in the UK. She does not believe it exists in tablet form.

(mostly) From rxlist:

VERSED is a water-soluble benzodiazepine available as a sterile, nonpyrogenic parenteral form for iv or im injection. Each mL contains midazolam hydrochloride equivalent to 1mg or 5mg midazolam compounded with 0.8% sodium chloride nd 0.01% edetate disodium, with 1% benzyl alcohol as preservative.

Midazolam is a white to light yellow crystalline compound which is insoluble in water. The hydrochloride salt of midazolam, which is formed in situ , IS water soluble.

Chemically, midazolam HCl is 8-chloro-6-(2-fluorophenyl)-1-methyl-4 H -imidazo[1,5-a][1,4]benzodiazepine hydrochloride. It has the empirical formula of`C 18 H 13 ClFN 3 ·HCl, and a molecular weight of 362.25.

It is used as a premed for medical procedures and also in anaesthetics. It is not used for it's anxiolytic or hypnotic effects. It induces a strong anterograde amnesia (it prevents the formation of new memories):

In one adult study, when tested the following day, 73% of the patients who received VERSED intramuscularly had no recall of memory cards shown 30 minutes following administration; and 40% had no recall of the memory cards shown 60 minutes following administration.

Elimination of the parent drug is via hepatic metabolism, therefore it should be used with caution (as with most benzos) in people with a history of liver disease or excess alcohol intake.

Half-life is significantly increased in the obese, the elderly, those with congestive cardiac failure, liver failure and renal failure.

It is 3-4 X more potent (per mg) than diazepam.

As an im premedication dose is approx 5mg 1 hour prior to procedure.
    When given intravenously it is given as a titrated dose, 1mg at a time, every few minutes until the desired level of sedation is achieved.

As it is given parenterally the risk of severe respiratory depression is very real. This is associated with a very real risk of periods of anoxia (and subsequent brain damage). Paradoxical agitation is also common. People who have been given midazolam often become disinhibited sexually.

As with all benzodiazepines a physical tolerance to and dependance occurs rapidly.

An antidote is available (Flumazenil). This is only indicated for iatrogenic (doctor-induced) benzo overdose as in benzo-dependant patients it will rapidly lead to withdrawal (and potentially life-threatening seizures).

SWIJ has a single recreational experience of midazolam (iv).

She had a trusted sitter and the dose was titrated carefully. She was benzo naive at the time and used approx 1mg every 5 mins until 6mg were reached: At this point she was euphoric, sedated and having auditory and "thought process" hallucinations. She felt very sexual. Her sitter (female) reports that she was rather "frisky" also;)

The entire experience lasted approx 45 mins, with about an hour of grogginess after and a headache shortly after that. A degree of amnesia was present, but she retained the flavour of her experience. With hindsight this was an incredibly stupid and dangerous thing for her to do and certainly not an experience she would repeat.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2006
  20. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I know that Dormicum is a incredibly strong anestetic.They used it to keep my grandad in a coma for a week.I think they used a solution of 40-50 ml per day, so it's very strong...