TEK - The Original TEK For Making Hash Oil

Discussion in 'Hashish & BHO' started by Marsofold, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Marsofold

Marsofold Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    When I was young, he used to make hash oil from marijuana. He looked up the procedure in the Pittsburgh Carnegie Library archives from the original turn of the century (1900 era), first extracting hash oil from some Columbian Gold circa 1979. His first attempt without using acid for the isomerization step worked, but wasn't quite as good as he'd hoped. Afterward, he followed the original recipe exactly and got noticably stronger results. The recent oil TEKs using butane may be fast, but they lack the isomerization step that makes the oil significantly stronger. Here is the classic recipe SWIM followed that is 100 years old:
    -------------------------------------------------
    1-pound pot was deseeded and refluxed 24 hours in 1500ml of C2H5OH (95% ethyl alcohol). The fiber was then strained out and additional C2H5OH added to increase the volume to 750ml. 5ml of 3% HCl was added and the extraction was simmered for 11 hours and cooled. 12ml of NH4OH (10% strength ammonium hydroxide) was added and stirred into the extract, followed by the addition of 1875ml of water. 600ml of ethyl ether was added, mixed well, and allowed to rise to the surface. The ether layer was removed to another container. Another 600ml of ether was added, mixed well, and after layer separation was removed and combined with the earlier ether extraction to bring the total ether volume to 1200ml. The ether was then evaporated down to 100ml. 100ml of C2H5OH was then added and the mixture was then evaporated down to approximately 21 grams of oil estimated at 40% THC concentration.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Comments: a reflux apparatus was constructed from a modified stainless steel pressure cooker. Everclear 95% alcohol was purchased from a local liquor store. The HCl was 30% concentrated acid from a hardware store which was diluted 10:1 to make a 3% premix for the convenience of using a 5ml volume. The ammonium hydroxide was the strongest non-soapy commercial brand I could find. The ether was distilled from starting fluid in the reflux apparatus (insane, but I was young then). The additional 100ml of alcohol added at the end forced the ether to evaporate off first, which removed the unpleasant ether "taste" from the finished product. The use of HCl to strengthen the oil works from the theory that the raw oil from cannabis isn't all THC. The theory as I understand it is that roughly a third of the oil is actually cannabidiol, which can be converted into THC by the acid step, which thus increases the THC content by 50%. Whatever the theory, the acid step definitely makes the oil stronger. This isn't SWIM's recipe, this is how it was first done a century ago by the leading chemists of the time, thus it is the "real" TEK for making hash oil... :D

2. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    For the isomerization is the acid necessary? In the recent thread about cannibinoid chemistry it was mentioned that just lightly boiling the marijuana in water for 2 hours would isomerize the cannabidiol into THC as well as decarboxylating THCA to THC. Is this a quicker easier less effective method or could you use this method to isomerize the cannabdiol then use the butane method to make the hash oil? I am very curious about this method being used before making regular hash, would this be feasable or is he dreaming? Thanks.

3. Marsofold

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    I am very skeptical that a 2-hour boil would do the trick. This TEK boiled the weed in 95% alcohol for 24 hours, and that didn't do it. Since there was 5% water in there, and the alcohol boiled just slightly below water's boiling point, if the other process worked that should have done it. The acid step for this TEK was absolutely necessary for maxing out the strength of the oil. It made a major difference...

4. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I wonder if extracting the oil with butane first, might help to remove any impurities.. Instead of using the plant material as the starting step, maybe use the butane extracted oil mixed into the alcohol.. Wonder if that might make the final product even cleaner, but still isomerized to increase potency?

5. Marsofold

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    I was thinking the very same thing. Actually, he wonders if naptha could be used to wash out the oil from the fiber, fan-evaporated off, then the raw oil mixed with the alcohol - HCl mixture and boiled for 11 hours to isomerize it. Neutralized with NH4OH, diluted with water, then naptha added again to pull out the oil, fan-evapped down to 100ml, another 100ml of alcohol added, and everything evapped down to get the oil. No butane or ether needed, but the isomerization preserved. Hmmm...

6. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am unsure of the solubility of THC in naphtha... Does You have any experience?

7. Marsofold

Reputation Points:
    from USA
    No, but naptha is mostly heptane. And since butane is also an alkane, the solubilities shouldn't be that different. Besides being cheap, naptha is also much safer than ether. So I have to wonder...

8. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Bongo always swore by pentane. Nice low B.P. and provides for a clean extraction in under 6 hours with finely divided material. Also very easy to distill off once ready to move forward with isomerization - for which the oil was dissolved in cyclohexane. One note: THC in solution is quickly destroyed by sunlight, so best to work in the equivalent of a photo-darkroom.

There was, one time, the minor problem of what to do with 20+ pounds of deactivated cannabis. Bongo solved this by placing same on the doorstep of a local police department. Still soaked in pentane, it burned very nicely.

9. gplant

gplant Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    forgive me if this is the wrong question, but how would one substitute another solvent for ether without screwing up proportions?

I do not know how to calculate how much toluene or ethyl acetate etc equals 600ml of ether.

10. justlookingthanks

justlookingthanks Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    give the panda a pound or more of MJ and he is going smoke it not make hash oil :)