Combinations - The pitfalls of fixing side effects with other drugs.

Discussion in 'Drug combinations' started by Alfa, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I've seen many posts about using drugs to smoothen out side effects of other drugs. But what are the pittfalls of such tactics?
    Please post you's experiences...

2. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Quite a few, such as *Too strong an effect from the 'fix' once the main drug wears off, e.g. long acting benzos to smooth out a few lines of coke *Unknown interactions between various substances, particularly with more than two involved, *Vicious cycles (benzo to help with uppers, more uppers to combat the benzos, more benzos to fight the resulting anxiety, etc.) *Forgetting dosages/amounts and making mistakes *Needing a third substance to smooth out the side effects from the second substance!... just to name a few.

3. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Please describe some of you's experiences.

4. Trebor

Trebor Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from ireland
    I tried travel pills to combat Morning Glory nuasea. They worked. No problems at all.

5. darawk

darawk Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Weed to combat nausea from the coke drip. It works, but it then increases the cotton mouth effect of coke quite a bit.

6. chAos

chAos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    33 y/o from belgium
    Swim once had a bad trip on mushrooms and tried to calm himself with weed, then he fainted :).

7. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The worst for swim (who tries to not take more drugs to reduce negative affects from others) is when he takes sleeping medication to help come down off a stimulant binge. If he's had a long binge and takes some zopiclone or zaleplon it may not help him get to sleep. I have had some intense discomfort and hallucinations when this occurs.

Best thing to do is tough it out until you can pass out, because if the sleeping meds don't work you're in a place you'd rather not be.

8. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    SWIM's worst case would have been taking codeine in order to get to sleep after taking a light portion of mushrooms. The peak wasn't coming into much of an effect and bored, I just wanted to sleep. An hour later a few friends come back and want him to have a few drinks with them. I takes a line of cocaine in order to counter-act the codeine which was a very stupid idea in hindsight. The next hour involved a bizarre state of mind where I felt exhausted and agitated while still tripping mildly. At one point he nearly blacked out. Needless to say, no-one should try this combination in order to smoothen out the side effects of said drugs.

9. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    A neighbor-woman had a doctor who prescribed her speed to wake her up. Barbituates to help her sleep from the speed. And narcotics for the headaches this gave her. Then some tranquilizers to alleviate her concerns about her medical condition - and having 1,000 pill-bottles next to her bed. She was so blotto from all these that she fell down the stairs and broke her neck.

Now that's a real side-effect.

10. El Calico Loco

El Calico Loco Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    It's no different than the sawbones giving someone Prozac to fight depression, and then Xanax to fight the anxiety caused by Prozac. In others words, not the best idea. :)

I have found some useful combinations, however. Diphenhydramine works well to fight nausea and histamine reactions from other chemicals (DXM or RCs) - so long as he doesn't overdo it. A normal dose (50mg) is enough.

He has often used diazepam to abort a psychedelic or dissociative trip when he found himself tired and ready to sleep it off.

As mentioned in the DXM FAQ, clonazepam mixes well with DXM - it takes the edge off the sometimes unpleasant stimulation and seems to enhance CEVs.

He discovered a personal rule about mixing cannabis with psychedelics and dissociatives: a little weed is great; a lot of weed is awful. A little puff or two mellows things out and kicks up the illusions big time, while a lot leads to paranoia and bad trips.

He says nitrous oxide is wonderful for someone having a bad trip. Calms them down nicely.

The weirdest: he had a good experience using 5-MeO-DMT while drunk. That's not a combination he expected to work, but it shouldn't be shocking; it's much easier to become one with everything when one is ten feet tall and bulletproof. :D

Not that he recommends it. He was drunk. It seemed like a good idea at the time. On the other hand, he has found that having a drink or two after entering the peak of a psychedelic helps take the edge off without seeming to spoil the trip. I suspect this would vary depending on the chemical in question.

ECL

11. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from spain
    SWIM's favourite fix are benzos. They are like a perfect antidote for stimulants. He usually tajes 30-60 mg methylphenidate for studying and alway takes benzos for the comedown or overstimulation.

He uses clonazepam and alprazolam. He likes them cause the have low drowsyness for swim and only requires 0,5-1 mg. He takes clonazepam when sleep is desired and xanax to ease or smooth mph effects. He gets zero negatives effects fromm this fix.

A bad fix for I am ghb. He did many things like SWINicaine described above: Redosing to stop DA rebound, doing too much, fix with stimulants etc.

Tags: