Opinions - The Taste of Kratom

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by thydarkprevails, Dec 2, 2004.

1. thydarkprevails

thydarkprevails Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i have made mention of kratom tea with honey and sugar in it..it is excellent...but i have now grown to greatly enjoy the taste of pure, unrefined kratom tea...does anyone else have this, or is it aquired as i suspect?

2. wednesday

wednesday Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i used to not like the taste of salvia or salvia tea...but i love it now...i figure both are an aquired taste

Paul

3. cyalume

cyalume Gold Member

Reputation Points:

I'll have to try that, my only experiences with kratom have been with ground leaf that has been put into capsules. Come to think of it i really have no clue what kratom even tastes like.

4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    To me, kratom tastes a bit like green tea, only more bitter. I can't say I particularly enjoy the taste but it isn't as bad to me aswhat some people say. It's kinda like coffee I guess, I love black coffee cause I drink it all the time, most people don't like it.

5. Spelvin

Spelvin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: the taste of kratom...

SWIM mixes his kratom tea in with some strong coffee. after 2 or 3 cups a full dose is consumed. Decaf could be used if You doesnt want the sedative effects messed with. Swim can barely taste the kratom at all using this method, it really only tastes like sub-par coffee.

6. Br00klynB0y87

Br00klynB0y87 Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Kratom is definitely an acquired taste something that I has gotten used to over time, still he wouldn’t say that the taste is enjoyable or delicious by any means. :)

On a side note; the taste can be greatly lessened if one would brew their own tea by using the whole/crushed leaf. Thee advantage of doing this is that you can boil your single dose down to the size of a shot glass, making it easier/quickly to consume...compared to sipping on a full cup of bitterness.

.peace.

7. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Maryland, U.S.A.

I have started enjoying the taste of Kratom tea, although he also used to enjoy the Ritalin drip, and the quinine cut in H....so go figure. I assume its a mental thing for SWIM.

8. stainboy

stainboy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o

Wouldn't say I enjoy the taste of it straight but a few years ago a brew used to be made of kratom, milk, icecream, chocolate powder and cinnamon. The taste of this was looked forward to each week.

Weirdly enough I don't like the taste of honey at all!

9. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Acquired taste! Billy Smarts can't even fathom the idea of acquiring a taste for something so foul. Capsules all the way, makes sure you get every alkaloid as well.

10. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Acquired?... maybe just not so good the more concentrated, SWIM usually mixes it with other teas, for example, liquorice, yerba mate, raspberry white tea, earl gray... and of course, sugar or honey... the more kratom the more sweetness needed.

11. stainboy

stainboy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o

Whatever brew you make, I also recommend cooling down in the fridge or freezer for a while. It tastes a lot better cold, and through a straw of course, although with that you might miss the fun of your mouth going a bit numb :cool:

It's too special for capsules, half the experience is the ritual of the preparation.

You'd think after so much fun that a taste would be aquired but not so :( , nor with mushrooms. Poppy tea however, has always been tasty.

12. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Doesn't letting it cool create a nasty scum on top? Does swim stir than in or skim it off?

It can be quite a task you know, preparing the 50-60 capsules that are needed for the full effects. Just as, if not more time consuming than making tea, the duration of the preparation time is spent interacting with the kratom rather than just letting it sit in a pot.

Someone couldn't be blamed for expecting the taste to get better as the brain realizes consuming something creates an enjoyable experience. Yet it is mostly found to be the opposite, the more one partakes in the consumption of nasty tasting substances, the more the taste gets worse until capsules are the only way to get it down, with out throwing up.

Is this because the body/brain realizes the negative effects of these substances and is trying to protect itself from whatever discomfort it may be about to endure?

13. stainboy

stainboy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o

If there were scum I believe that the mixture of ingredients such as ice cream would mask it, and it can all be whisked heavily like a delicious milkshake.

I could not imagine having to swallow 50+ capsules let alone filling them, plus when you've already settled into one ritual it can be hard to let go of it.

It is weird about the taste, your theory at the end works well with my experiences of alcohol. Most lagers now to me taste of stomach acid, you know when you burp and a little bit of sick comes up :(

14. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

Billy Smarts tells me consuming so many caps is like a meal in itself. Billy's ritual is, ingest substances straight till he can ingest no more (when he starts gagging tryin to force them down) by then he has a real feel and taste for the substance and happily switches to capsules.

I do know it yes, know it well. Really sorry to hear that's how beer goes down for you. It's such a tasty tasty beverage.

Stainboy, read the rules *(https://drugs-forum.com/help/rules) and contact a moderator to edit your post. No self-incrimination, seriously.

15. wOrship

wOrship Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

I have taken to consuming the ground leaf rather than making tea, like many he finds it more economical.

He tends to just mix the powder with yoghurt, he has tasted better yoghurt, and it looks kinda like fresh cowshit but.....
    The amount of taste swim experiences is nowhere near as bad as with tea and he finds he can bolt the yoghurt down very quickly, I had also never experienced any nausea with this method.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  16. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda

It's possible to use a capsule machine which will fill 30-50 at a time. Each capsule (OO size) can contain 0.5g so not that many are needed.

17. Sky Walker

Sky Walker Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth

That is EXACTLY what Billy Smarts does, size OO, 50 at a time. Although they actually only hold 0.4g, even when packed tight. Billy really should have got the OOO size capping machine.

18. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda

:D Billy has an appetite for kratom! I am told that if you grind the kratom fine enough, and do enough tamping, you can get up to .6.5 or so. OOO would be great.

19. tayo

tayo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

are 000 like horse pills?... about like this
    |===========|
    |===========|
    ?

20. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

i absolutely hate the taste of kratom. i drink it with kava and it has gotten easier. but still terrible. i am thinkign about mixing it in yogurt to mask the taste.