The two faces of Salvia

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by bcubed, Apr 19, 2007.

1. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    I feel the need to write this, as I'm somewhat disappointed that Salvia has gotten such a "bad rap," even here at D-F.

In the short time I've been here, I've seen comments to the effect of: "It's the scariest, baddest hallucinogen I've ever done!" and "This is the ONE drug that OUGHT to be illegal!" Commenting on scary, overwhelming trips. Even an "objective facts" web article said that "Salvia use is experienced as unpleasant for many users" (sorry, can't seem to track it down again).

That's dissapointing to me, as SWIM's experiences here are much more positive. He thinks that focusing on what it can do (and granted, yes it CAN profoundly alter one's reality if used for that purpose) in the extreme is scaring away many kindred spirits.

In a sense, I was lucky that his initial lighter was so inefficient (TOO hot, in that it immediately vaporized the 10X--plus it burnt holes in SWIM's screen) and that resulted in a milder, pleasant sensation of subjective distortion time and distance, plus a general amplification of sensation and sharpening of his senses. (I have subsequently had more intense experiences, including CEVs and OEVs, but nothing where he totally lost connection with reality--he's not complaining).

I'm not saying that those who use it to acheive a profound alteration of reality are using it "wrong"; I'm just saying that 90% of what's on the net (and at least 70% of what's here) is about "tripping one's ass off" and I feel that the pleasant, subtle effects are getting short shrift. Much of that, I feel, is due to those selling Sally: seeing someone listening to music and commenting on how wonderful it sounds won't move much product for a bunch of teens looking to get "f'd up" (yes, I know that was me in the day, too).

He's torn: on one hand, he wants to let everyone know that Sally can be "recreational": (unless he's having paradoxical reactions?) On the other, drugs that are sufficiently unpleasant (like Jimson Weed) that no-one in their right mind does it don't get scheduled--the "fun" ones do. On second thought then, "Stay away from Salvia!! Scary! It'll ROT YOUR BRAIN!!!" (and on and on....)

2. Hypnagogic Phenomena

Hypnagogic Phenomena Newbie

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from U.S.A.
    I agree and i think the main problem is that salvia got too wide spread and into hands of people who dont know how to respect and properly use salvia which leads to people getting hurt and it getting a bad rap, some people think that its like weed, but they couldnt be any farther from the truth, its very sad to see salvia get a bad name due to ignorant people who know nothing about it but still abuse it then cry foul when they get hurt

3. wellhelm

wellhelm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    What is your point bcubed? You don't want Df to tell the truth about trips? Salvia is the most powerfull natural hallucinogen known to man and should be treated as such. This site is foremost a safety and information truth site and anything less is negligent. The fact is most do find this drug scary, though some do find it recreational. My can not control what kids and morons do or what the government is going to schueduel but we have a duty to tell it like it is regardless. Just my opinion so know one flame me please. Swim swimself finds sally recreational but is aware of its dangers.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  4. bcubed

bcubed Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
    Wellhelm, I wasn't trying to minimize the amount of respect for the powerful effect Salvia can have, I just think that the collective info on it is skewed a bit towards the more extreme end. It's important (from a risk-management sense) to mention it: one is always taking a calculated risk doing ANY substance, and such info helps make the calculation more exact.

The issue I have is it's as if one perused the "alcohol" section and 2/3 of the posts were: "This is some scary shit! One minute you're having a beer, the next thing you know, it's eight hours later and you're twenty miles from where you started, in bed with someone you have no recollection of even meeting before!" I'm not saying that's incorrect, per se, but it's incomplete.

I'm just concerned that: 1. A potential user of Salvia might be scared away from a drug that would be beneficial to them due to the hyperbole associated with it, 2. That some experienced users of the drug might conclude that tripping is the full extent of its usefulness. I did *some* resarch before indulging, plus he's a fairly risk-seeking person. If he had seen some of the more sensational stuff (in particular some of the more moronic internet sally videos) it might have scared him off, and that would have been too bad.

EDIT: I think that, fundeemntally, I'm encouraging a responsible, incremental approach to starting out: while Salvia can be an intense, overwhelming experience, moderate doses are different--not just in degree--but in the nature of the effect. Start out cautiously, appreciating the subtle effects, and increase dosage gradually, if desired, lessening the chances that one finds oneself way over one's head and without a lifejacket.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  5. wellhelm

wellhelm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    38 y/o
    I really could not care less if a potential user never tried salvia. The less that try it the less likely it will get scheduled but I do not want it demonized just for demonized sake either. As long as users are honest one way or the other in there reporting I am happy.

6. JDreaming

JDreaming R.I.P. Gold Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Salvia is certainly one of the stranger substances I've encountered... I call it the Trickster Drug. Sometimes I smoke it and it randomly decides to not play ball that day and give me a dud experience that amounts to nothing, othertimes it hits harder than almost anything else and blasts my mind out of my body. If anything, though, it doesn't deserve a bad rap because A) it has no dangerous physical symptoms... doesn't burn your lungs, make you puke, make your heartbeat race dangerously fast or anything like that. No ODs and no possible way you could die. And 2), the peak of the experience is mercifully short. If you get overwhelmed, you'll only be overwhelmed for about 5 minutes, 10 tops. One should be able to survive that emotionally.