Thoughts on relapse

Discussion in 'General Addiction discussion' started by tweakerfrommars, Jan 30, 2005.

1. tweakerfrommars

tweakerfrommars Newbie

Reputation Points:
    This is mainly directed at recovering or former addicts. Do you think that sometime in the future you will be able to do your once-drug-of-obsession again without relapsing back into the same old addiction cycle? I dunno, this is just interesting to me. I've seen people who must stay 100% clean for all eternity and others, like my own grandmother (a former alcoholic and chainsmoker), who can have an occasional drink and cigarette and keep it an isolated incident with no problem at all. Asfor me, I think I just have way too much of an addictive personality to ever safely do any uppers again.

2. lolomgwtfbbq

lolomgwtfbbq Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'd say my personality is way too addictive to even do a
    small amount without relapsing, but it's probably very possible for
    others to do the substance on occasion and not have any problems
    relapsing. It depends on willpower and personality and such.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  3. paulywould

paulywould Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I think it depends on the person.** As a general rule if you really fucked up your life and were way out of control with one particular drug it might be better to stay away from it.* Some* people can get away with it.* If you're going to try* you have to be extra sensitive to using to much to often.

Edited by: BA

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2009
  4. joemomma

joemomma Newbie

Reputation Points:
    For me it would depend on the avalibility I used to do alot of
    coke/crack I was selling a lot of it at the time so it was free. 
    Now In a diff city its not availible for less than xxx a gram
    WOW  So if I were to do it around here I could do it once in a
    while if I were to go back home and could get it Cheap I would have a
    problem again
    Edited by: BA

5. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i have been a herion addict for three yrs about 1 1/2 getting clean and relapsing i have been clean on meth script for 6 months and i belive in the futer once i have been compleatly clean for a while i will again be able to use it once in a while with no problems as this is how i started out. it depends on the person and the situwation there in if things in there life are still how they where when they where addicted then they probibly will relapse back into past useage patterns

6. betsym

betsym Newbie

Reputation Points:
    For swim, educating herself on the facts about cocaine and that it can kill swim at ANY time during use pretty much helped her steer clear of it. I had personal proof that it could land her in the floor several times and didn't want to take any more chances. The needle is very addicting and something the brain never forgets but in no way comapres to being able to live, given the chance. I don't ever plan to get near the stuff again. In swim's research she has found that the brain has everything already to feel good, it just gives it out in measured doses as opposed to dumping it all out at once. Historically, people have gotten high without even realizing it. For example, being "filled with the holy spirit" was a form of ecstatic joy that caused worshipers to fall in the floor, become hyper, alert, filled with energy, etc...In other words, being highcould be considered by some to bea mindset or state of mind and can possibly be achieved without drugs. Of course, it might bemore work than most people want to go through. Another example that comes to mind is a rock concert. I am just glad to feel "normal" again, whatever that is.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2006
  7. Starfish

Starfish Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I am always trying to be in recovery, and I always thinks after some
    days that I shall just smoke a joint, or snort a line , or have a
    drink. well it doesnt work for me... I always want more...its never
    enough.

8. JBRONCFAN

JBRONCFAN Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Interesting thought came to mind.

Currently I consume 80mgs crushed oxycodone a day. There was a time last
    year when all I needed was a crushed up 20mgs and be good all
    day. THOSE were the times when I had somee sitting in my room and
    could easily NOT do any for a few days, which is impossible now at
    80mgs/day. I believe there is a correlation to the amount you do
    and it's effects socially. I did stuff and was active and only
    ate them once in a while and now it's gotten to a point where I gotta
    be on it if I have it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2015
  9. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Yes, possibly (with some serious preconditions). IMHO there's only one way this could potentially work... with lots, lots lots & lots (and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots and lots) of experience starting/stopping/starting/stoppping/quitting/starting/ quitting. You finally learn so much about yourself and what it takes to trigger off a cycle and to stop one that maybe it's even possible. Question is, does a person want to get to this point... no, it's so much easier, cheaper and better just staying away -- period.Edited by: Nicaine