1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

tips to relieve methadone constipation?

Discussion in 'Opiate addiction' started by drug-bot, Jul 25, 2008.

1. drug-bot

drug-bot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    swims on methadone maitaince, and is experiencing awful constipation. he took his first shit in a week today and it was devastatingly painful. swim knows all opiates can cause constipation, but thinks methadone is much worse. does anyone know any ways to help with it? would one go about it the ways one would to help relieve natural constipatiton?

2. Coconut

Coconut Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Re: tips to releive methadone constipation?

This should help SWIY out.

3. kah50

kah50 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    66 y/o Male

Try Miralax it is an excellent drug for constipation due to methadone. I had the same problem and miralax was the only thing that worked good. Give it a try.

4. Aminator

Aminator Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Germany

Given the fact I had a mild form of the runs for most of my life, going on MMT changed that to normal bowel status, i.e. 1x per day (could not be better). Guess I was lucky once.

One thing that might help is simply skipping a dose, or rather delaying it until the onset of WD produces a bowel movement. Depends on what symptoms
    the individual starts with, in my case a running nose and hot/cold chills are bearable, if you have heavy joint pains and whatnot before your backdoor wakes up this is not for you.

In any case the doc you get your scripts from (or the clinic you visit) should also be able to help with this side effect too. They'll also be able to tell which meds can be used long-term and which cannot.

5. y0ssarianlives

y0ssarianlives Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth

SWIM has suffered the same issues as SWIY and knows how much of a pain (literally and figuratively) this issue can be. SWIM has used milk of magnesia, yogurt, and prune juice to help releive constpiation; there are also various OTC stool softeners that can help.

Along with these aforementioned items, make sure SWIY drinks lots of liquids and avoids stuff like candy, junk food, pop, ect.

Do a bit of reading and research; follow the link coconut posted and you should gain a bit of relief.

Peace!

6. Caitlin23

Caitlin23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.

Whatever you do, DO NOT take a bunch of fiber w/o drinking adequate water. SWIM made that mistake once, and has since read several places to use an oral pill stool softener like docusate sodium.

7. msmogadon

msmogadon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from scotland

lol SWIM is curious to know what happened? :laugh: SWIM has tried that fibre stuff that is stirred into water and it helped her go but phew!!! It didn't smell to much like peaches and cream if SWIY knows what SWIM means :laugh:

8. Caitlin23

Caitlin23 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.

Well, I was trying not to get too graphic at first, but Swiy asked for it! So here you go. Swim bought some of these new fiber products out there like: fiber bars, fiber that you sprinkle in your food, fiber pills, etc. These are NO good. When you take fiber without water it basically turns your shit to pure concrete and eventually gets stuck in your colon that way. It basically leads to fecal impaction, escpecially when combined with opiate usage. It can be fatal and is definately no fun, trust swim. Swim was just about to go to the hospital, when she finally forced this terrible concrete block out of her system.

Caitlin23 added 2 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Oh and the whole, shall I say "process", lasted about 8 hours.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  9. thebige

thebige Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.

Ok lets not get childish.........Now I was talking to my Shanghai Gal and she told me that low to moderate does of DXM can be benificial in reliveing opiate constipation in some people....your results may vary.Well thebige and Shanghai are not doctors.So you should ask one........by the way Im glad Caitlin23 does not have concrete in her system after a 8 hour full body workout!

10. piggyinthemiddle

piggyinthemiddle Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.

Some other guy, finds that a few beers of an evening sort him out the following morning. Obviously, if one were dealing with an Alcohol problem at the same time that may not help.

The other thing S.O.G knows is that if one 'makes' oneself go, or at least try to go, every day, it relieves the worst of the symptoms. Not going for a week must be as close as any bloke is ever going to get to giving birth... Speaking from S.O.G's experience...:s

11. moda00

moda00 R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.

Yeah honestly swim has a split dose so this might not work for others but she finds it easiest to just wait until her morning dose wears off and withdrawals start to set in.. not the most fun or best solution, and not something to do all the time, but hey if you haven't gone in a week lol desperate times call for desperate measures ;) Some of the meds others mention are probably a good option too, but I have no experience with them firsthand. I have heard drinking warm liquids- hot water, tea, etc. can help too.

12. oggy

oggy R.I.P. Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o Male
    Be careful bot, doing that too often with give you piles. SWIM started bleeding quite a bit whenever he was withdrawing from pushing to hard when on heroin. If it felt that painful on methadone then you must be causing some damage.

Start eating your 5 portions of fruit n veg a day for immune function and dietary fiber, and keep some suppositories handy for next time. You don't want to be taking any kind of laxative too often.

13. jon-q

jon-q Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    if swimbot lives in the states why not try eating a little"jerky"also a good strong filter coffee seems to help, pay close attention to what you eat what goes in must come out so stay away from dry binder type foods.

14. gezza26

gezza26 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    SWIMS's been taking senna tablets everyday since opiate addiction and suboxone treatment and SWIM find they generally do the trick. SWIMS always been a bit prone to the runs though so maybe add a little docusate sodium in there too, to really get things cooking. Also SWIM finds caffiene and magnesium helps a lot too. SWIM prefers senna as it causes the bowels to move quicker, not to add water. SWIM finds chemical softeners just lead to urgent loose stools. If SWIY are really stuck SWIY can even try suppositories, but let SWIM tell SWIY feel violated and dirty hours after use hehe. SWIM thinks SWIY really need a laxative when SWIY on opiates though. Good thing about them is they actually slow down SWIY's natural bowel movements when SWIY stop taking them. SWIm knows this sounds bad, but if SWIY stop taking them when SWIY detoxing it really helps with the runs and evens you out.

15. doublezero

doublezero Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    didnt read replys so sorry if it mentioned this before..

Dont just use a laxative, use something to soften the shit up as well. go to a pharmacy, and ask them for something to soften the stools and a laxative, pune juice is a good natural laxative, also bassy music, i got a bass box under my computer desk, turn the bass right up and it will vibrate your insides.

doublezero added 1 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

pune***prune

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  16. 1shot2

1shot2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I take 90 mgs methadone daily and when I started I had bad constipation,the only thing that worked for me are glycol suppositories.I swear by them,stick 1 in your ass and you have 5 minute countdown ,and make sure you have access to a bathroom b4 you take the thing.

17. savingJenniB

savingJenniB Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Female
    One Word:
    ~~~~~ Water ~~~~~~

drink lots of water ~
    remind yourself to drink lots & lots of water.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  18. meaculpa

meaculpa Newbie

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o Female from U.K.
    swim used to use epsom salts (magnesium sulphate), works VERY well and quickly, so quick access to the bathroom is neccessary!
    however swim would advise eating a high fibre diet i.e fruit and veg and, as other poster recommends drinking lots of water first.

19. fiveleggedrat

fiveleggedrat Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Look up opioid antagonists that do not cross the BBB. They will prevent/reduce nasty body effects like constipation.

At least this works on paper/in theory and in the medical community. FDA approved an antagonist a while ago that does not cause WD's with used with opioids.

If you want more info on this, ask. I'd be glad to help.

20. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from The Netherlands
    ^^^^ That would always be of great benefit to many people on this board, so if you don't mind posting the info regarding it, that would be great!