Too old to trip?

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by old hippie 56, Dec 31, 2005.

1. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I am turning 50 tomorrow, so I have a question for the rest of the old timers here. It is possible to be too old to trip? Could not figure where to put this, so I put here.

2. pharmapsyche

pharmapsyche AKA Miss Methylene Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I'm not an old timer quite yet, but I have an opinion about your question. I think that the older one becomes, the more rewarding 'tripping' can be, since one can look back on the past and reflect.

3. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Look at the shulgans, they still trip regularly ... fuck, look at hoffman ... he'll be 100 years old in a few weeks, and he's still an active tripper.

4. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Hoffman sure is! Friend of mine visited him recently. He was chasing young ladies while tripping his socks off.

5. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I love the idea of older people continuing to trip and have fun...

6. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You are only too old, when you think you are... ;)

7. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    As long as my Mind is Happy when I Trip, I will happily keep Trippin'.

Many people do Drugs. A person does a Drug (usually) because he likes the effect.

Many people Stop taking a Drug. A person usually stops taking it because he no longer cares for the feeling it gives him.

Back in the Hippie days, I met several people in their 70s, who Tripped on a regular basis, and HAD been Tripping on a regular basis for a long time (I discussed it in a different Thread).

It may be, that one day I will have had enough Trips. If (or when) I feel like that, I will Stop. Of course, a year or 2 later, I may change my Mind again.

When I find something that works . . . I stick with it. Trippin' works. Lucky me.

8. Kemikaru_Tenshu

Kemikaru_Tenshu Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o
    My personal opinion is that as long as you are healthy enough to trip and you still feel motivated to do so you should most definitely do so. I have personally found that the older one becomes the more insight one can gain from a psychedelic experience (alright, so I'm not really THAT old yet, but I sure do feel like it sometimes). Also, as most psychedelic drugs are pretty benign physically, they are almost a perfect match for an aging body that still contains a mind that wants to explore.

JMHO.

~KT

9. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, if old I could find something to trip on, he would. So thanks for all the advice.

10. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Seems to SWIM that tripping would be even more rewarding later in life, as one finds themselves more stable in their life situation, and could use a good trip to help point to directions where they can make positive changes, find creative outlets, or discover self-actualizing aspects and activities that can enrich their life. One of the most positive LSD stories SWIM heard was a 70-year old professor who continued to lead an active and rewarding life, and it seems that his trip reflected that, so I would say that there's no cutoff age for psychedelics.

11. raven3davis

raven3davis R.I.P. Palladium Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I think he will trip until he dies. What does Hoffman trip off of? I remember reading something that said he knew lsd like the back of his hand so he probably wont dose up except to eaze the transition from this life to the next. Maybe this was not true but he said he would not be taking lsd again.

12. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I read in a recent article, that the last time Albert took lsd, he was at the age of 97.

13. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    ^ And Aldous Huxley took it as he was dying. He died very peacefully.

14. Jeff Woad

Jeff Woad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    39 y/o from U.K.
    It's such a personal question, one can only really answer for themselves. I did a lot of acid when I was young, (from about 17 - 21) and loved it so much, but when I was 22 I had a horrific trip- propper end of the world/meaning of life/nothing is real type thing and since that I find that I can't do acid, mushrooms etc anymore. I've tried a few times over the years, but always end up going back to that bad place. I know it's all a matter of self control, but I just can't enjoy it any more.

Sorry, that all seemed way off topic, but the point I wanted to make was that imho, rather than tripping being an age thing, (obviously it is in some ways.) I think it's got a great deal to do with experience. Most people, whether 15 or 50, will enjoy their first few trips in a similar way- lots of laughing, trying to describe what their trip and an amazing feeling that couldn't have been dreamed of before. But it's when one begins to "know", (or think that they know) the feeling of tripping, it becomes a totally different experience.

Sorry for rambling, hope it made at least some sense. :)

15. CrookedEye

CrookedEye Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Once I started tripping, it opened a new world, and new mental abilities... Swim can only hope to keep exploring that realm until the day he dies, be that 30 or 100...