1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Drug info - Topamax (Topiramate) abuse potential?

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by Orlynao, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Orlynao

Orlynao Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Is Topamax abusable?

2. Boca Bitch

Boca Bitch

Reputation Points:
    I believe so... it is readily available in SWIM's house, but he has not tried it because his mother uses them as relief for chronic migrane headaches... so he couldn't possibly bring himself to take one. However, he has researched it considerably, and came with the following conclusion:

"Topiramate enhances GABA activated cholride-ion channels. It also inhibits some excitatory neurotransmission, by kainate and AMPA glutaminergic receptors. Although not by the same mechanisms of benzodiazepines, it does share some of their properties. I imagine it does have some euphoric potential, due to its well-documented mood-stabilizing effects and the fact that it is GABAergic. However, abuse of the medication must be handled delicately, as OD is certainly more easily acheived than benzos. I would suggest handling it with caution as if it were GHB... start at the bare minimum, 25mgs, even if it means splitting a tab. Wait until peak plasma levels to increase dosage, an average of 1-2 hrs. for most medications. The half-life of Topiramate is 19-23hrs... so plan on being doped up for a long time."

3. Orlynao

Orlynao Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Thank you so much :D :vibes:

4. Boca Bitch

Boca Bitch

Reputation Points:
    Oh... no problem at all!!

Just be sure to report back SWIY's experience with them... I'm extremely curious about the abuse potential!!!! :)

5. Pseudovoyager

Pseudovoyager Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Topiramate would not be considered recreational to most people. As far as I know, there is no reason you would want to do this if you're trying to get high

I think this is unsafe. Please reconsider.