Tramadol and hydrocodone cross tolerance

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by Fred the Janitor, May 29, 2006.

1. Fred the Janitor

Fred the Janitor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i was just remembering my trip to colorado a few months ago. one night i took 25 mg of vicodin and was feeling great. the next night was 420 so i ended up taking 187.5 mg (5 37.5 mg pills) tramadol which yeilded NO effects at all besides maybe getting a tiny bit tired. do vicodin and tramadol have cross tolerance?

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    they should exhibit cross tolerance. tramadol is also a very weak opiate, with most opiate naive users requiring 100-150 mg to get an effect. tramadol seems to also be slightly stimulating due to its SSRI properties, so You shouldnt have felt tired if You had taken 'enough'. I think You had some cross tolerance going on.

3. Fantasian

Fantasian Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o from U.K.
    As ftsl says above, tramadol acts as an opiate and a weak one in comparison to Vicodin, SWIFantasian found very similar effects after using morphine for some time that recreational tramadol dosages rose rapidly.

In short: yes Cross tolerance does occur.

4. Fred the Janitor

Fred the Janitor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ok, thanks for the help guys

5. Tillianne

Tillianne Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    ***I found this thread through search. I know it's old, but I thought it would be silly to make another thread about a similar question.

As some of you know, I am taking Tramadol due to chronic pain. I broke my big toe on my left foot. The Urgent Care gave me Hydrocodone 5mg/Acetaminophen 325mg.

Should I stop taking the Tramadol until I run out of Hydrocodone, then start it back up?

I'll post a picture of my toe in just a bit.

6. Tillianne

Tillianne Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Here is the picture of my broken toe.

Attached Files:

7. DriftAway

DriftAway Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    OW I broke my middle toe last year and the ER gave me 5 ibuprofen...your lucky you got hydrocodone lol! But anyway I have taken 100mg tramadol and then an hour later taken 10mg hydrocodone and I was fine. You can always call a pharmacist and ask but I beleive if the doses are fairly small (100 mg tramadol or less + 15 mg hydrocodone or less) you will be fine.

However what other, if any, medications are you on?

8. Tillianne

Tillianne Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I'm on quite a few medications. I think I listed them all here in another post, but I can't remember which thread. I may just call the Pharmacist.

I took some Tramadol earlier this morning, but haven't taken anymore since I started taking the Hydrocodone around 5pm.

9. DriftAway

DriftAway Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I remember vaguely that your taking the tramadol for its antidepressant properties? You just have to watch out for drugs that increase seritonin or are SSRI so you dont get serotonin syndrome.

10. Tillianne

Tillianne Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Thanks for the warning! I was on Prozac before I started taking the Tramadol, but immediately stopped. I read about serotonin syndrome here on these forums first, then my GP talked about it too.

I am taking the Tramadol for pain, but also hoping to get some antidepressant properties from it since I had to stop taking the Prozac.