Triamcinolone Contraindications

Discussion in 'Pharmacology' started by Abrad, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I have been prescribed IM Kenalog (Triamcinolone) for hayfever. He has been looking around the net and (unsurprisingly) cannot find any contraindications for recreational drugs. He was given a once-off dose which is supposed to prevent hay-fever for the summer and plans to lay off everything for a week or two as he is aware that corticosteroids can have some side-effects.
    If anybody has any insights I would appreciate it.

2. Psych0naut

Psych0naut Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    Any info would be very helpful for SWIM as well, as he has to use it once every two days for his ecsema.
    Though SWIM never had any side effects.

3. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    Bump

Can anybody help with this?

4. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    It leads to a slightly higher expression of Beta- and proposely Alpha-adrenergic receptors and thus to a synergism within these drugs, that´re affecting those.

So if youßre inhaling something adrenergic it will work better with systemic cort and if youre taking something other of this sort of medication, by any admistration-route, of course.;-)

5. nanobrain

nanobrain Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    it is a synthed corticosteroid which is bad news no matter how you look at it, from a long-term perspective, anyhow.

no short term contraindications that i am aware of. for hey fever try something else is my 2 cents.

6. Abrad

Reputation Points:
    Thank you both for the information.

I have literally tried every antihistamine on the market to no avail. The kenalog seems to be working and only requires one dose for the whole season.

7. stoneinfocus

stoneinfocus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    This is absolutely safe. Systemic corticosteroids are still being treated over-hysterically, while still doing the best job possible at this time, except maybe for omalizumab, which is a lot more expensive being a biopharmaceutical.

At about 2-4mg Predn-equivalence/day, there´s literally no sides of corts I am on 20-60mg prendi which is 5-15 times over the cushing-syndrom dose, but I use some remedys that normally no doctor prescribes until it´s too late and some even aren´t allowed to for that purpose, pricewise I assume, but it works like a charm and I has no cushing-syndrom at all, no muslce loss but fat-loss and strong bones.You just need to readjust the system to some dergeree,whre it´s getting out of balance if high dose steroids are added.

Letting coricosteroids do their job as a stresshormone by "stressing" your body with sports seems to help in any way of the sides, too!