Drug info - Trileptal (Oxcarbazepine)

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by sands of time, Jan 31, 2004.

1. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    My friend has been trying to get me to take these things cause he says they are awsome. I have never heard of anyone using these to get f**ked up on so is he just full of shit?

2. BA

BA Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Trileptal is an anticonvulsant used to prevent and treat seizures (oxcarbazepine)

3. myenigma

myenigma Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    SHIM takes it here because shim was prescribed it. Sleepy yes, recreationally, well it's used to treat bipolar disorder mainly (oh, and cutting behaviors) so tell your friend he's full of it.

4. Agrippa

Agrippa Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Oxcarbazepine

Psyches gf received this drug today. He wonders of the average side effects that occur and if is related piperzines(spelling?).

5. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Oxcarbazepine

Oxcarbazepine is an antiepileptic/mood stabliser.

Chemical name: 10,11-Dihydro-10-oxo-5H-dibenz[b,f]azepine- 5-carboxamide, structure attached.

It's an inhibitor of CYP3A4/5 (resulting in lower plasma concentrations of various drugs, including the oral contraceptive pill) and CYP2C19, and, in clinical trials in adults 23% of people stopped taking it because of adverse effects!

Main adverse effects:

Dizziness, Nausea, somnolence, diplopia, ataxia, tremor and fatigue

Almost 3% of patients develop a hyponatraemia, and (as with any drug) there is a risk of hypersensitivity reactions: 35% of people who are allergic to Carbamazepine will also be sensitive to Oxacarbazepine

All in all, doesn't really sound terribly recreational