1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Injecting - Trouble Hitting a Vein

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by fair_gamble88, Sep 21, 2009.

1. fair_gamble88

fair_gamble88 Mercury Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM's cat cant hit a vein for shit! he's got beautiful veins (or so he's been told) and they pop out further just sitting there than hes seen on some of his friends after they tie off. He knows the basics and has read about ppls problems but nothing. He's smacked a few of his friends before and finds it real easy when it aint his arm but when he goes to hit himself he cant strike blood.

He's had people do it for him before and it works out great. He just prefers other methods most of the time depending what he's got to do that day. But now he's starting to get pissed at how quickly snorting/smoking wears off.

He's gone too deep before and split a vein so he is a little more cautious now but the last few times he's put the whole needle in and hasnt struck blood yet. He thinks he did everytime then pulls back and nothing. Afterwards it always looks like a tiny mosquito bite (no pain or anything) and very little blood compared to when he's had someone hit a vein for him.

Any help you could give would be great!

P.s hes partial to the forearm since right a needle mark at the crook of the arm is a little more noticable than he'd like to put out there. I dont think thts the problem since he hasnt been able to hit there either.

2. g666d

g666d Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    tell dude to try hitting from the side of vein, he might have 'twisters'. Works for some guy i don't know. And FSE probably give help too :)

3. fair_gamble88

Reputation Points:
    I'll let him know, let you know how it works out, i've used the FSE, alot of trouble seeing a vein but not too much on specific what i need..

also, i've heard it described as a "pop" but any more info you could give me on what it's supposed to feel like when it goes in the vein?

4. g666d

g666d Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Well, connecting psychically with my martian guide, says she has trouble depending in rig she using. If she uses nice insulin pick then pretty easy to go in straight, draw back a little before hitting and then the spurt of blood lets her know when in. Hold still, and slowly pump down. If she using a barrel then she goes in all wobbly, misses usually and if hits then loses spot before can pump down. Takes 5-6 attempts with the large unwieldly pump. So think she knows dudes frustration. Strap helps, but release after find spot.
    The pop that is talked about is likely the small change in resistance felt when needle penetrates vein wall, is definitely noticeable after practice. Make sure to shoot in same direction as blood flows, and try to keep needle as horizontal as possible (or inline with vein).
    Swim agrees, is much easier with someone else to administer, but sucks for both if they miss repeatedly too ;)
    Have hot shower beforehand, to bulge veins up a bit. Helps a lot.
    Weirdo martian... don't know if i'd trust her ;)

5. fair_gamble88

Reputation Points:
    Thanks alot GD, my cat's only ever tried with an insulin so with him luck!

He said he's try tomorrow morning and hopefully come back with excellent news.

Godspeed martian!

6. mickey_bee

mickey_bee Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    If you're not injecting yet, then pleeeeeaaaasssssseeeeeeee don't start!!!

Your tolerance escalates quicker than you can imagine when you start injecting.
    After a month or so you're wishing you were still smoking/snorting, as it took you a 1/4 as much to get a decent nod on.
    Swim himself still has plenty of available veins, but is trying to get back to smoking, as it is simply so much more cost-effective.

In fact, one of swims friends, who has been an injecting heroin user for ~28 years, has recently switched back to smoking, and, while dramatically cutting down on the amount of money he spends daily on gear, he has also increased the effects dramatically.
    In his own words, 'I haven't got nods like this since I first started using'.

Shooting is wicked at first, but very quickly it becomes rubbish compared to the high, and value for money you achieved with smoking/snorting.

EDIT: To the neg repper, this person is not an injector; they are instead on the verge of becoming one, as an experienced injector it is swims duty to highlight the negatives of making such a choice, your comment is facile.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  7. fair_gamble88

Reputation Points:
    yea if you use frequently i get how shooting can lead to an expensive habit but SWIM has a good handle on keeping it to a few days a week and it doesnt take much more than it did when he started to get a great high but the fact that SWIM has to snort another bag every 3-4 hours just to keep it up means that he's spending more for a night of dipping than if he could just take one shot and sit on it all night

correct me if you think i'm wrong but SWIM has found that 5 hours after a shot he is still feeling good, not great but definitely better than if he had snorted twice as much

8. MsBrownstone

MsBrownstone

Reputation Points:
    Its true that when you first start IVing it takes alot less to get the job done, however (and this is just SIKs personal opinion and could be wrong..) it seems like your tolerance to the drug grows alot faster IVing than with smoking or sniffing.
    About trouble hitting veins.. Maybe you have rolling veins, sometime if you go in from the side, or if you can kind of hold the vein in place with a finger while you insert the tip of the needle, somtimes that helps.
    SIK also says that you should draw back the plunger as soon as the tip of the needle is embedded in the skin, then as soon as you hit the vein you'll draw blood. You might be going a little too deep, also. It seems like lots of times, guys veins are alot closer to the surface then women's are, so you probably won't need to push the needle in all the way. Be careful though, because if the needle isn't all the way into the skin, it makes it that much easier for the needle to slip out of the vein, thus you'll waste your hit.

9. g666d

g666d Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    swim has heard this too, but after bringing it up at DF was told was rubbish, smoking doesn't compare...
    Swim believes lungs can be quite effective at absorbing inhaled drugs, if they are vaporized/atomized correctly.
    Swim envisions an inhaler, with carburetor kind of mechanism to split drug into molecular sized particles, swim believes this would be very effective RoA for pharma heroin and would bypass need to scar vein walls. Swim done a few searches but hasn't seen anything similar, so probably technical difficulties with this.

10. MisterV

MisterV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM had troubles with his "usual" forearm veins so he tried the ones on the back of the hand.

Some helpful information for save injecting there:

- use tourniquet on upper arm
    - pump with hand or knock on vein area
    - desinfect area and wait 30 sec until you dry it with some tissue
    - tighten your skin
    - penetrate the vein slowly in a 30 degree angle
    - once in flatten the angel of the needle immediatelly
    - if you penetrated trough, just put the needle out again
    - if you aspirate and blood is coming its not a 100% signal for hitting the vein correctly
    - for injection search the Y- aborization of veins
    - hit the crotch

This is special information for injection in the hand veins, SWIM got it from a EMS-tutorial and it worked fine for him. SWIY should be very carefully doing this, if not 100% sure what to do abort it. Work with sterile stuff and rethink your switching to iv use - often theres no way back to "normal" use.

11. MsBrownstone

MsBrownstone

Reputation Points:
    SIK wishes that she had some sort of aspirator or inhaler that would spray dope into her lungs at regular intervals..
    She wishes she could walk around with a hospital IV morphine clicker 24 hours a day, too.
    The veins on the back of the hand work really well for SIK, but alot of people she knows can use them at all because they are so sensitive. On some people they just swell up and bruise so much that you cant play around with it.

12. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Take a browse through here, Injection Drug Use Documents, in the file archive if swiy hasn't already. Check out Safer Injecting, The Right Hit, Avoiding Arteries, Better Vein Care/Safer Injection Guide, and Getting Off Right. These are great resources with loads of safe injecting practices, including how to properly find a good injection site. Lots of pics to help swiy out.

Sounds like swiy just needs more practice hitting swiyself if he has no trouble hitting friends. It is a difficult procedure to master. Try not to hang onto the dart with a steadfast grip. Just let it set easily in swiys palm and gently grip the barrel with swiys pinky and ring fingers. Swim finds this makes it easier to grab the plunger with thumb and index finger. No need to force things if swiy has a clean, sharp dart. Hard to describe really, everyswiy developes their own techniques with practice.

Check out the documents and play safe. Cheers

13. InTheCity

InTheCity Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    SWIM thought he'd re-post a quote in this thread that someone wrote to swim in response to him having trouble registering in a vein. The thread is about cocaine but the SWIM feels like the same principles apply here. SWIM would like to point out that this response to him completely set him straight about I.V.ing and he hasnt tried since. (sorry if this isn't what SWIY feels like this is off-topic, but SWIM felt like he should share)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  14. EyesOfTheWorld

EyesOfTheWorld R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Sometimes SWIM has lots of problems shooting up because he's too sick, shaky etc to properly hit a vein. Not saying this is the OP's problem, but who knows, maybe it is? If so, SWIM suggests snorting a bit and waiting 10 minutes or so to get sorted out/unshaky, then do a slightly smaller shot.

15. fair_gamble88

Reputation Points:
    SWIM got the hang of it, he told me to thank everyone for their replies. He wasnt holding it at the right angle and when he started holding it more parallel to the arm he didnt go deep enough because he was scared of splitting the vein and bruising as he's done a few times. He can now hit the one going up the thumb-side of his forearm in no time at all.

He found that all he has to do is to try and register every millimeter or two as he inserts the stick. That worked so well in the beginning and now he can almost always feel when it hits the vein and only has to try and register it once.

16. sweetstufflover

sweetstufflover Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    If you have trouble hitting a vein, register all the time while trying to hit the vein. Just pull the plunger a tiny bit back when the needle is in, small bubbles will form in the syringe (vacuum). As soon as you hit the vein, blood will rush into the syringe. It's much easier that way.

But usually, when you're an IV user, you will get enough experience to hit a vein whithout registering. You feel it when you're in. But it is always recommended to register, even if you're an experienced IV user and think you've hit a vein.

17. Euphorical

Euphorical Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swims been trying the vacuum method mentioned above but i feel like that might rip open the vein cause ive done that everytime ive went in and registered everytime but i end up with a lump and no rush... :(

18. B.K.

B.K. Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Don't know why I'm posting this but... stay out of your hands! There is a phenomenon known as "Puffy Hand Syndrome" that strikes almost exclusively IV drug users who can no longer find veins in their arms or elsewhere. Google it and be scared-I've a touch myself and it's a dead giveaway.
    I'll tell you what the old heads told me when I started, "Can't find a vein? Skin pop a twenty, do some pushups and soak your arm in warm water."

19. I_8_my yellow crayon

I_8_my yellow crayon

Reputation Points:
    Hey,

SWIM is a thirteen year veteran in injecting Dilaudid. That's right, first shot at 13 sadly. SWIM always keeps the bevel upwards, insert's into top of vein, and should be fine. If SWIY is not having any luck then pull out (without bringing needle completely out) and go back in at a different angle.

Just make sure SWIY doesnt burry a whole 12.7 needle through his vein as after years of puncturing through veins, SWIY will regret it as they take twice the damage when puncturing all the way through, and usually thegiven substance that's being injected will leak into SWIY's muscle/fats, which will cause deterioration of the area.

SWIY will want about a 45 degree angle from needle to skin. (90 degree would be the needle pointing straight down)

To elaborate on something else, for most drugs like heroin, morphine, and hydromorphone, the biovailability is increase multiple times going from oral/nasal to injecting, therefore if one is smart (like SWIM :) they can actually get by on less of the substance. (depending on the bioavailability of course)

The problem is, one becomes very addicted to the rush of the drug, and by nature will want to use much more during the day. Do not be fooled, injecting will usually last the least amount of time as well. (for SWIM anyways)

Take it from a SWIMMER who has been injecting since 13, it's not a good thing to start, though the end result is likely the same as the person smoking, addiction.

Regard's

20. Badmichelle

Badmichelle Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Swim wishes that she had good veins. She must be the most unlucky person in the world. Not only did she end up being a junkie but she also has very small veins. They have always been like that even before she started using. It is very frustrating.