Side effects - Trying out a different way to take my kratom tea.

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by DepoV, Feb 6, 2014.

1. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    So, I've been mixing and stirring the kratom powder with hot water and some coffe reamer. As you know, the powder sinks pretty fast down to the bottom, si I've been constantly stirring the cup as I slowly sip the tea, making sure I get all the grinds down my throat.

But, as you also know, the kratom brings some unpleasant side effects, um...constipation being one of them.
    So as of yesterday I started letting the powder/grind sink to the bottom after I let it steep a little longer in the hot water. After the initial stir, I don't keep on stirring and just drink the water. And leave the grind, rinse it out of the cup when done.

I'm thinking (hoping) that all the good stuff (alkaloids) are mainly in the steeped hot water anyways and that these leftover grinds are not needed. And I'm hoping I will bypass the nasty constipation this way or at least lessen it some. I mean, it can't be good to shit coke cans for this long, I'm worried I'm hurting my colon somehow, not to mention my a**. And also the unhealthiness of carrying around toxins in the system for so much longer before eliminating them.

Any thoughts on this subject? Anyone else doing the same and feel relief?

So far so good though. I'm not getting any less effects of the kratom as I can tell one day in.

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    There are literally dozens of threads on making kratom tea.

Steeping kratom in hot water is probably the worst way to make it unless you are ingesting the powder as well as the tea.
    Boil the kratom in water with a squeeze of lemon juice for 15-20 minutes, strain and drink. This method will extract a LOT more of the alkaloids.

It is not the powder that causes the constipation, kratom like opiates slow down the motabolism resulting in constipation and compaction.

The best way to deal with this is to take the smallest dose you can, take a few days off between doses and keep yourself hydrated.
    I find that prune juice helps if i am very blocked up. You can also get yourself stool softeners.

3. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I will try the lemon juice again, soon. Tried it before, that and grapefruit juice but since I didn't really noticed a difference I guess I got lazy and quit. I'm not looking to feel a "high", but if it could make me use less/go longer in between dosing I'll be a happy clam.

Yes, I'm aware of the alkaloids themselves too are adding to the constipation, but I kind of got in my head that all that matter sort of clogging up the intestines as well. Perhaps making it worse, especially if youre consuming it several times a day, every day. Hm, I'll guess I will just see with time. So far I haven't noticed any bad effects as in I need to make more tea.

I have never tried the leaf, but isn't those steeped too in hot water and then strained? Or are the
    steeped leafs consumed as well? I guess I could reuse the stuff on the bottom a few times just to squeeze the most out of it instead of tossing it after just one time since there might be more of the magic left in them. I'll try that too.

Yes, I might just buy some stool softeners today when I'm in the store. I do eat prunes sometimes, in spurts. But then I get grossed out on them and stop for long periods. I wish I was still running, that used to take care of all the intestinal issues even when on huge amounts of opiates and I know it would help with this too.

4. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    I'm not sure i understand.
    What exactly are you using?

Leaf comes in two types, crushed or powdered.

I am not suggesting you steep it in water, like i said Boiling it in a pot for 15 - 20 minutes works a Lot better, if you boil it you can strain out the leaf as it is all extracted into the water. Stteping will not extract the same amount as boiling.

5. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    I've been using kratom -powder- all along, as I said.

Never used the leaf, since I thought I wanted to eat the "matter" itself. Never really gave it much thought that just letting it soak in hot water to release the alkaloids would be enough until now, when I thought that must be how you handle the leafs. But I wasn't sure if people acctually ate the leafs too or not, just assumed they didn't.
    The reason I want to avoid it is to see if it helps with the stomach issues, at least a little. If not I'm not gonna bother, just chomp it down like before.

But, I will definitely try boiling it for 15 minutes ( actually, right now) instead of just pouring over hot water and see if I can get away with less frequent use that way.
    The reason I haven't done that yet is that I read somewhere that it can instead destroy the alkaloids instead. Or lessen them. But I will try! I will make a batch now for the rest of the day and let it stand and then just use some at a time, mix it with hot water and creamer then.

6. Replicator

Replicator Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    When I took it everyday for about 8 weeks I gained 10 pounds. At only 5'4" and just over 100 lbs, this was shocking to me. I tried prunes and even an enema! It wasn't until I took a week off that all this green matter came out of my back end.

It was green just like the powder I'd been ingesting (sorry for the grossness!) but the weight --all of it-- came off. Now a couple times of week use keeps me much more regular. I've a actually not had any for 10 days and my bowel movements are back to normal.

I suppose that everyone digests differently but for me 2x a week is the max I can go. Don't think I could stomach the tea:)

7. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Replicator; I'm not one bit surprised! It must have felt like heaven when it all came out, well, at least -after- ( as it must have been murder on your rear end, lol)

My stomach is kind of pointing out from all the slow moving build up, if I lay on my back and press down on my belly I can feel rock hard lumps in there. Quite disturbing.

Those times I've been going without kratom for a few days, my stomach becomes flat again and I feel so much lighter. I guess I'm just full of s*it. ;)

I hated the taste of the tea as well in the beginning, I mean really despised it. Now I love it. I quit drinking coffee all together, which used to be my vice and lifted me up in the morning. These days I'm only craving kratom. And I enjoy sipping on my tea slowly.

I wish I could reduce my intake to just a few days a week too.

8. ianzombie

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Yes, but that is the leaf.

Kratom power = powdered kratom leaf.

Drinking the tea and not the powder will not do much for the constipation as it is the effect the kratom has on your metabolism, not the plant material itself that is causing the constipation.

9. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    ianzombie: yes, I'm aware of that. But, I just never thought people ate/chewed up the leafs as well, together with the (reduced?) water. I guess I'm thinking in the way one use regular tea leafs, they just discard of it after steeping.
    I have never even seen kratom in it's leaf form, so perhaps I'm getting the wrong idea and that it's easy to swallow? When I've read about Thai people chew the (raw?) leaf, I just figured they spit it out after a while.

I can report som TMI, but I had to "go" twice today already, something I have never done before while on kratom. Im usually lucky if i get some relief every 3rd day. And it feels like those times I'm not using any for a few days, when all hell breaks lose in the bathroom, minus the terrible withdrawal symptoms. As in, I still feel good!

I hope this is not temporary! It would be so nice to be a "regular" again. And I have now boiled my powdered kratom for 15 min, which I will dip into for as long as it lasts.

10. DepoV

DepoV Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    So far, so good! And, I have even managed to reduce my kratom intake by 50% since I'm reusing every cup twice to get as much out of it as possible. I started just making it by the cup again. It's only been a few days but I still feel just as good as before, -with- a more pleasant and frequent bathroom experience. And my stomach feels less "compacted", it used to be all built up with bricks. Not fun to carry around.

I hope this will last and last. And it seems at least my kratom use (addiction) is 75% mental, since I just need to have a cup in my hand and reusing the residue twice doesn't affect my wellbeing. Yet, that is.

So far I'm a very happy camper. :)

DepoV added 2 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

PS; I'm reusing each cup twice, -without- drinking any more cups of tea a day, if that makes sense.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014