Opinions - U.S. Ambien (Zolpidem) price is absurd...

Discussion in 'Downers and sleeping pills' started by Nicaine, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Nicaine

Nicaine Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Rhode Island, U.S.A.
    Don't worry, I'm not going to name any prices (although any 'legit' online U.S. pharmacy will give the general idea). But recently You had to pay for a bottle of 10 Ambien tablets out-of-pocket, as his insurance only covers a certain quantity per month.

Without quoting prices, let's just say that a single (standard, non-CR) tablet would pay for eating lunch out, and two of them would cover dinner out at a decent restaurant... tip included! :eek:

The pharmaceutical conglomerates are evil. It's surprising that they haven't been able to buy out enough politicians yet to eternalize drug patents. Maybe it's because a lot of politicians are older folks who use quite a few medications themselves, and don't want to be driven into the poorhouse.

IMO the profits the drug companies make are well and truly obscene -- the markups are often larger than that of illicit drugs sold on the streets, even if we allow for R&D expenses (which aren't always high for every drug) and the FDA approval process. For a "convenience drug" like Ambien, one is probably looking at around a 60,000% markup over what it cost to make the drug in quantity. Well and truly nauseating. :(

Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  2. Benzeneringz

Benzeneringz Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: U.S. Ambien price is absurd...

Holy crap, SWIM definatly feels lucky now. I use to get a monthly script for 30 Ambien 10mg tabs. This was for a duration of about 7 months, and each and every time I had to get a new script his insurance covered 100% of the cost. I had no idea the actual cost was outrageous, even with a co-pay! I was blessed, obviously.. blessed by insurance.

3. Kristy

Kristy Newbie

Reputation Points:

7 months is a VERY long time to be taking Ambien every night, I took it every night for about 2 months and even that made SWIM feel a bit loopy and depressed.

4. highganja99

highganja99 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from belgium

Wow for SWIM a box of 30 pills only costs the price of a pack of cigarettes.

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:

In the USA, there is what has been called the "doughnut" in medicare/medicaid payments for elderly folks on social security - as well as disabled folks. The doughnut is where your coverage is good up to $2,000. Then your insurance vanished (into the doughnut-hole) until you reach $5,000. This leaves a hole of $3,000 you must come up with out of pocket. Not just for medications, but any medical services.

For those on pensions and/or social security to survive,this often means a choice between medication, or such frills as food and heat and rent.

Let us all take a moment to say a thank-you prayer for George Bush allowing this to happen... I'm surprised I haven't heard about gangs of elderly folks robbing drug-stores at gunpoint.

6. London_Bloke

London_Bloke Gold Member

Reputation Points:

Not so much.... it's circumstantial (isn't everything?). I have been on some form of sleep medication all my adult life. The FDA approved first Lunesta then Ambien for long term use but before that, we hard-core insomniacs had no choice. We'd take one med for a while until it stopped working, raise the dose to get effectiveness again and do this until we hit a level where our doctors were no longer comfortable with the situation and then we'd move to a different drug and start the process all over again.

I've been on Lunesta almost 2 years straight - this was the intended use for both Lunesta and Ambien, both being non-narcotic. As for the loopy and depressed part, some of these intense sleep medications can hit people pretty hard. But honestly, when you've gone months with less than 10 hours a week cumulative sleep, the side effects of metallic taste or residual grogginess seem like I small price to pay to get what everyone else get's for free - a good night's sleep.

7. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Yes SWIdr must agree, the prices for both Ambien and Lunesta are way too much. Its cheaper buying a xanbar on the street the buying one ambien/lunesta sleeping pill without insurance. The nerve of some pharmaceutical companies these days!!

8. Ambient1

Ambient1 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

I hope you can find some comfort in knowing that in less than six months, generic manufactures will be able to produce generic Ambien at a much cheaper cost. Sonafi-Aventis will have to lower thier price to compete with generic manufacturers or be forced to lose a great deal of revenue.