Drug info - U.S. cracking down on kratom.

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by MochiBee, Aug 7, 2013.

1. MochiBee

MochiBee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Here in the States, the DEA has been wary of kratom users and have cracked down on online retailers. It used to be very easy to obtain the herbal supplements, but with the same old paranoia that the DA has always shown, unfortunately this is no longer the case.

I personally have never had any effects from the plant other than a good nights' sleep. It makes me sad knowing that I may not be able to get it at all anymore. Has anyone here suffered any ill effects, either from unjustified substance bans or the plant itself?

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Can you please post some evidence of these DEA crackdowns?

3. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Umm yeah there was an Indonesian export ban and certain states (only a few) have had it banned but the U.S. as a whole? News to me and I stay pretty up to date on Kratom laws.

4. MochiBee

MochiBee Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Oh, for goddness' sake...I can't post the link since I'm so new, I'm sorry. :/ I do know that it's been banned outright in several sates including Indiana, Iowa, and Louisiana has banned it for >18+. Then a few weeks back MSNBC did a piece on it, claiming that throngs of individuals nationwide have been turning up in emergency rooms because of the stuff.

Maybe it's paranoia on my part, but as someone who is uninsured with ovarian tumors, kratom is my main method of pain relief. I'm kinda scared right now.

5. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    It has only been banned in Indiana.
    It was considered in other states but dropped.
    I see nothing wrong with it being only sold to people over 18, thats just common sense. Kratom can be addictive, kids should not be messing around with it.

6. Dankfish

Dankfish Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I agree with the 18+ thing also. I can't imagine an elementary kid hooked on kratom. His parents find out, call the police, etc. This happens enough times and it is full out banned.

7. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Everyone, please stop scaring people about kratom being made illegal. People used to worry like this about Salvia, but very little has happened there. You could say that these drugs are different -- they are -- but again, why worry? If you want to stock up then stock up, but what else are you going to do? Unless you seriously plan to start petitioning and writing your congressmen (a.k.a doing something about it), then let's all stop worrying about this and just live on.

8. wonderingoutloud

wonderingoutloud Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have not heard anything in my state...I do however fear it. But I also think to myself I can not worry about it. I have stressed myself out for years worry about my LEGAL prescription. I do worry. But as Ianzomboe has said , more then once. this has been talked about for a long time and so far they have not done anything. I will march for it's right if I have to, but until I am faced with that day I just carry on.

9. SuperCaesarKratomSalad

SuperCaesarKratomSalad Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I thought it had been banned in TN as well? That's kind of a big deal...

10. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Yep, seems it was banned as of July 1, 2013
    Ive done some research and it seems that people are still ordering and receiving shipments, although a few vendors are no longer shipping there.

Good old head shops.
    I remember being horrified when people burnt down head shops where i live, now i dont think it was such a bad idea.

11. SuperCaesarKratomSalad

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I don't see how this is getting banned in certain states and things like Salvia or LSA are still legal -_- I guess pretty soon possession of Kratom will be the same as weed.

12. MissAtomicBomb

MissAtomicBomb Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Tennessee? That's a little too close to home for me. I'm not one to panic, but I think I'll put in a big order and stock up just in case. You know if a new law is an over reaction to inaccurate information, especially by Christian conservatives, Alabama is going to next. Chief Justice Roy Moore.. Enough said. Dang it!

13. wonderingoutloud

wonderingoutloud Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I thought they lifted that banned Tenn.)
    .and made it so you ad to be 18 years to buy it..

14. SuperCaesarKratomSalad

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Thatd be cool...... Can anyone confirm this?

15. SpatialReason

SpatialReason Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Good old Ireland. :p

Seriously, the head shop kratom quality, in the US, happens to be the most bunk proposition ever. All real drinkers know this. What's really bad is when you see they have rebranded stuff from known vendors of quality. I see the best US vendor's "Gold Reserve extract," which is distinct, going for astronomical prices.

I hate exposure of any sort to fun things. Now gas station head shop hybrids are selling dissociative Nitrous Oxide containers.

And as for the rest of you, you should NOT be allowed to purchase ANY substance unless you are 18+. I think that 16 for at home consumption of wine and beer could be found okay, but it still stands that anyone being allowed to take home an herbal blend product, under age, burns my ass up. Kratom too even.

16. SuperCaesarKratomSalad

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think most of us agree it should be a 18+ or even 21+ substance... No way kids should be doing it expecially since it has addictive properties.

17. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Utah, U.S.A.
    I saw a piece on youtube about a clinic in Austin, TX that had a WHOPPING 7, count them, SEVEN, self-reported cases of Kratom addiction in the year 2012. OMG, this is an epidemic and it SHOULD BE STOPPED!!!
    Seriously, how long did it take Nancy Reagan to start her war on drugs after the Crack epidemic, and it WAS an epidemic! Rosa Parks was beaten and robbed by a BLACK MAN who was cracked out! I do not think Kratom is anywhere near that level of a threat.
    I believe America is losing the war on drugs and has been ever since prohibition, probably longer!
    I do believe that Kratom is on the DEA's 'watch list' but the effects are SO MUCH LESS than alcohol, which is legal.
    So I would not sweat the small stuff. . .

18. SpatialReason

SpatialReason Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Opioid addiction is opioid addiction. Despite it being mitragynine. You have to calm down ThunderChild. This is far safer than anything else, but it is certainly, because of its mechanism of action, going to become addictive. This is not even a question!

Moderation is key. Not to mention, trying not to substitute addictions... which is the case in most of these.

19. StudentHealer

StudentHealer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is why I was so upset to see a kratom-specific forum go completely down (still not sure what the reasons are, except that my malware-avoidance software will not let me go to any of that website because of a trojan horse threat). The organization there was made up of people who worked very hard to keep kratom PR positive and prevent outright bans from making it through legislative processes.*

I hope this isn't a form of hijacking the thread, but rather it's continuing the discussion.... what are peoples' opinions on kratom becoming something that's regulated and taxed, like alcohol or tobacco? I'd be alright with it... actually, I think that's the best option for marijuana as well.

What's the consensus around here?

*I really, truly, sincerely hope I vagued that up enough to be non-specific. If I over-stepped a forum rule, can I get some gentle redirection here?

20. lithilium

lithilium Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I'd be pretty surprised if it was outright banned.

I think the plant should be 18+ for sure. Maybe even 21. Opiates are no joke, and it's very easy to get addicted if you aren't experienced.