Other - UK: How Has Mushroom Use Changed Since the Ban?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by adzket, May 28, 2006.

1. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    this information comes from the mixmag (leading music, dance ,club-culture magazine uk) big drugs servay which is used by clubbers, police and policy makers the world over. this servay is done every year and filled in by its readers.

mushrooms, the legal loophole that allowed shrooms to be sold legally across the uk closed in april. but has it made a difference?

for a brief time the markets in camden, london were the centre of the uk's psychedlic universe. stalls openly sold shrroms legally (only attracting police grief if they were prepared in any way), sparking a craze for shrroms everywhere from clubber after-parties to posh city folks' sitting rooms. since the law changed 67% of you say shrooms are less available to buy than ever ( 31% say they are available as ever) suggesting that the legal crackdown has been effective but not complete in stoping shrromers from enjoying their favourite psychedelics.

* in the past year mushrooms have made you.......
    1. feel sick / vomit 27%
    2. have a panic attack 22%
    3. seek medical help / a&e 0.3%

2. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Those statistics are meaningless with reference to the thread title without data from previous years to compare them to.

3. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    there not meeningless that is the view of the people surveyed this year since the ban has been inforced. so there would be no data from previous years as prior to this they where legal. also how they have made those who have done them feel i belive is also usefull for those considering trying shrooms for the first time.

4. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I wonder why didn't they ask their readers if their use of other psychedelics has risen and which psychedelics are used now.

5. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    they may well of done swim can't remember the ? on the survey that they and other readers filled in and sent of i just thought i would share the results they publised back in there magazine. if any one wanted the full details i would of thought they would give you them. if anyone wiches to try and contact them to find out i will more than happily give them the details of the magazine to do so.

6. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    I have sent a request for more info to mixmag. If needed I will start up a poll on this site on this.

7. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    No, but mixmag are trying to show how the use has changed. These data have no information about change.

8. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i sort of understand your point but if 67% of people are saying that mushrooms are less avalible now than befor the ban. then people are less able to get them so useage paterns have there for changed to what conclusion they have changed i agree can not be determand due to lack of information but like i said the ban has only been inforce this year so there would be a lack of valued info on this any way.

9. turkeyphant

turkeyphant Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I do find it strange that 31% say there is no chance in the availability of mushrooms. In my experience, relatively few people used mushrooms before the massive popularisation and they largely picked/grew their own. These people will still be getting mushrooms this way. However, those who bought mushrooms from their local head shop (of which there were thousands) will find it hard to find a replacement source. After all: there is very little illicit trade in mushrooms in the UK because most users just pick their own and share with friends.

10. adzket

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i would say that because of the popularisation more people probibly no eather one where to go to pick there own shrooms or how to grow them from spore kits avalible from many places.