UK Members (Please read) : Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill

Discussion in 'Drug Policy Reform & Narco Politics' started by MrMouse, Mar 27, 2006.

1. MrMouse

MrMouse Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The following information is not directly related to drugs but the implications are huge for your privacy, civil liberties and our democracy.

In brief the "Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill" will allow Ministers (MP's) to Amend, Repeal or Revoke primary and secondary legislation (laws) on a whim and arbitrarily (Excluding taxation and the creation of new offences with a jail term of more than 2 years).

This means they could introduce/amend/change a law without due diligence or debate.

Please read this article by the Times ...
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1072-2049791,00.html

It takes only 5 minutes to write to your MP via e-mail.
    http://www.writetothem.com/

Also see ...
    http://www.saveparliament.org.uk/
    http://www.saveparliament.org.uk/action.php

I wrote to my MP and received a reply the next day.

An example e-mail ...

I hope everyone can see clearly how this could impact your past-times and hobbies. ;)

Thanks for reading :)

2. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    So now the New World Order comes the the UK to? George Bush would be yealous on that bill. Better get into action or wave your rights goodbye.

3. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIJ is fortunate enough to have an MP who voted against ID cards, against War in Iraq and against the new Anti-terrorism laws. However this does not mean that she is complacent. She advises all UK members to get writing now!

4. MrMouse

MrMouse Newbie

Reputation Points:
    My MP is a party toad that never rebels. He voted strongly for ... Iraq War & ID Cards. Oh and folks don't cut and paste the example E-Mail above PLEASE use your own words or MP's will simply ignore E-Mails which look identical.

5. klaatu

klaatu Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Thanks for that useful and informative post Mr Mouse. I shall certainly write to my MP (party toad that he is though) and I shall advise Swim and Swim's friends to write also.

I've written to him before and he's replied to me. No idea how much (if any) effect it had, but getting letters written on House of Commons notepaper always looks good.

Remember, no single raindrop thinks they are responsible for the flood. Action (or inaction) by an individual eventually becomes action (or inaction) by a LOT of people. Governments sometimes listen to LOTS of people.

Klaatu

6. Alicia

Alicia Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    But they can still say no, Ah good old Britain, I do love there cornish pasties thou mmmm.. ID cards are a waste of time

7. klaatu

klaatu Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    True, but they are more likely to ignore a few people than a lot of people.

Cornish pasties are yummy. Especially when you are in Cornwall. Cornish Pasties baked in, say, Manchester really aren't the same.

Agreed. And should be fought tooth and nail!

Klaatu

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  8. MrMouse

MrMouse Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Am I allowed to do this? B-U-M-P ... sorry I know this is an international forum but fuck me only a few comments on such a major issue. If this means I get a 2nd warning ... lol .. then so be it ;)