Urinalysis: Opiates vs. Oxy Contin

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by wildbeast, Nov 16, 2006.

1. wildbeast

wildbeast Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Odd of SWIM to request help on this subject as SWIM am 22 year non user of alcohol and largely abstinent from most prescription drugs.

Anyway here's the deal: SWIM get Hydrocodone w/Tylenol from his doctor for neck pain/migraine headaches. Always by prescription and usually the Watson 7.5mg pills.

It is a long drive to his doctor so it requires SWIM to take a day off. So it is common for SWIM to run low or out of pills for short periods of time. Usually SWIM mamage OK during these bouts.

Now the other day I was completely out so a friend gave him a couple Oxy Contin pills and that did the trick: Was able to complete his job tasks well without excessive pain.

So today the boss laid a couple people off including SWIM. Winter slowness in business. Now I am applying for a new job but SWIM concerned that a possible drug test could conclude I had taken a NON prescription controlled substance. Of course SWIM have a prescription for his Vicodin but SWIM don't have one for the borrowed Oxy Contin

Can a urine test DIFFERENTIATE between Opiate based substances AND Oxy Contin???

If so should SWIM try some kind purging herb like Goldenseal?

All replies appreciated.

Sincerely, the Beast

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
    1. 4/5,
      very good and useful question to start a thread about
      Oct 22, 2010
  2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    Urine tests do not distinguish between synthetic opiates, hydrocodone and oxycodone would show up as the same thing. So You should be safe since he has a prescription for the vicodin. Plus opiates leave the system after 2-3 days, so a urine test would most likely not even detect the oxycodone.

Also, most standard urine tests do not detect synthetic opioids at all. They look for natural or semisynthetic opioids such as morphine, codeine, and heroin.

You has very little to worry about, here. No goldenseal necessary.

EDIT: Nagog, you're fast. I was just about to throw up the "read the rules" reminder!

3. wildbeast

wildbeast Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Well thank you all for your comments. Have editted first post and will look for your "Sticky's" etc. in the future.

Jeez things sure have tightened up since my college days. If I had taken a drug he didn't have a prescription for no one would have given a crap.

So strange.

4. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    "SWIM get Codeine w/Tylenol from my doctor"

"Of course SWIM have a prescription for my Vicodin"

Just so you know, Vicodin does not contain codeine - it's hydrocodone w/ Tylenol that You is taking.

5. wildbeast

wildbeast Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Now I get it! When I was taking Codeine w/tylenol in cough syrup for sore throat I didn't like it. Gave swim headaches and he was glad when throat finally cleared up as the meds were nearly as bad as the cold.

And yet I wasn't bothered by the Vicodin or Oxy contin much at all.

6. Sklander

Sklander Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from congo_democratic
    Oxycodone will not be detected by your standard 5 panel drug test. It is a synthetic opiod... a derivative of opium.

7. yolaluver

yolaluver Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    don't worry I had a drug test the day after he did half a green OC and he passed. No prescript either

8. wildbeast

wildbeast Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What's interesting to me is that a respected MD I know has told me that urine tests in 2014 MOST DEFINITELY turn up differences between hydrocodone & oxycodone...

Perhaps Forthesevenlakes was correct in his words during the year 2006 but not today.