1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

US Federal Probation Drug Testing Questions

Discussion in 'Drug testing discussion' started by Beeker, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I got caught being naughty by the FBI and now that I'm out of the pokey I've got (at least) 3 years of monthly drug testing to go threw. Sense my crime wasn't drug related they shouldn't be looking for anything specific like Mescaline or something.

I'm not concerned with Benzos and amphetamines because I have monthly prescriptions for Klonopin (Clonazepam), Altivan (Lorazepam), and Dexedrine (D-Amphetamine sulfate).

These are my questions:

1. can they detect 4-aco-dmt, 5-meo-mipt, 2c-p, 2c-e, or 2c-b with a urine test? If not the standard piss test then with an extended urine test?
    2. Do probation officers go beyond a standard urine test for people who weren't convicted of a drug felony?
    3. Do probation officers test for alcohol with a piss test or a Breathalyzer?
    4. Will I get a call telling me to come in for a drug test out of the blue?

I would rather burn in hell then smoke weed and go back to jail because I broke probation. Everyone who went back to jail, where I was locked up, were back for probation violations because of cannabis, cocaine, heroin, or a crime involving alcohol like a DWI. I don't want to be one of those guys.:s

2. Milk man

Milk man Titanium Member

Reputation Points:

The answers I am about to give you are from what I understand about the Nevada state probation so it may not apply. But I would think that the Federal would be harsher than state.

1. can they detect 4-aco-dmt, 5-meo-mipt, 2c-p, 2c-e, or 2c-b with a urine test? If not the standard piss test then with an extended urine test?
    I really do doubt it, not many people know about these drugs so they may feel it would be a waste to test for them.

"4-Acetoxy-DMT is an uncommon synthetic psychedelic. Like psilocybin, it is metabolically converted to psilocin and is therefore thought to be nearly identical to psilocybin in effects." Some people claim that they test for mushrooms, so this might cause a false positive.

1. Do probation officers go beyond a standard urine test for people who weren't convicted of a drug felony?
    Some people get their tests sent off to be lab tested, some just give you a cup with strips attached. They check for temp, creatinine and a few other things and a screen on drugs(I never really checked).

1. Do probation officers test for alcohol with a piss test or a Breathalyzer?
    Are you allowed to have alcohol? They will mostlikly piss test you for it since it has a longer detection period. If you have an ankle bracelet(house arrest), some detect alcohol sweat. If you are on house arrest, they may also give you a breathalyzer you blow into at random times.

1. Will I get a call telling me to come in for a drug test out of the blue?
    Atleast here, it depends on the probation officer. Some are cool and will tell you when they will be stopping by and others will appear out of the blue with a cup. See if you have formal or informal probation.

3. old hippie 56

old hippie 56

Reputation Points:
    A buddy of swims was on federal probation for a while. He had to call a number everyday to see if he was chosen for a drug test. Apparently he screwed up, now he serving some time in a federal joint.

4. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Best to wait and see how things are done over a year then guess on this one. Being free is far more important then anything else. :cool:

5. china cat

china cat

Reputation Points:
    This is a bit late and slightly off topic but why do they test you for alcohol? Are you not allowed to drink alcohol when you're on probation in the US?

I suppose three years of drug testing is better then being inside but from over here in the UK it seems that this drug testing business in the US is getting a little out of hand?

May it pass quickly.

6. Beeker

Beeker Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    If you're on federal probation just a picture of you with a beer in a pub will get you thrown back into prison. If I tested positive for anything at all I'd find myself back in jail for at least a year.

Beeker added 652 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

Oh, and your probation officer randomly comes to your house and legally can come in and look around. Mine randomly showed up Friday night at 8:00pm.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  7. Spyder

Spyder Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I see this is quite an old thread and I'm sure many things have changed, but happening to come across it I thought that I would give a quick update. (Regarding Alcohol).
    Although conditions vary for everyone, generally social drinking is acceptable. The above comment about a picture of you in a bar... Definitely not an issue for most. The comment given when first questioning these rules..."Look....if you want to have a case of beer and have some fun....it's not a problem.....IF you have one beer, and the cops end up getting called for some reason, it's a problem"
    Bottom line. At least from this experience, bars/etc. not an issue. Social drinking-Not an issue.
    Why is alcohol on the panel? Asked this question many times, never a clear answer, except generally when given this test you at your meeting. If you showed up drunk...Come on!
    I'm sure an evening surprise visit (at home) that turned up alcohol would be off no issue at all.
    Again...many conditions differ. These in particular though, seen on most peoples.

8. jayjayjay

jayjayjay Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well maybe alcohol is on the panel becausr if you are showing up to probation under the influence of alcohol you obviously are an alcoholic

jayjayjay added 0 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

And should be on "no alcohol terms" as part of your probation

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  9. Spyder

Spyder Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yep. Exactly what I was saying. Another is if your positive EVERY TIME. They would probably question/say something? Probably lean on you about going to AA or something?

10. GraciousMrMiner

GraciousMrMiner Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I was searching for answers when I came across this post. Currently I'm on home confinement through the US probation, a division of the US Federal system. There regulations are different from state.
    Alcohol is not allowed and checked 3 times daily with a breathalyzer which is given to you when the ankle bracelet and monitor is set up. The breathalyzer has a camera (facial recognition) and GPS. Urine test random though I usually give one every two weeks at a reentry drug program we are assigned too.
    My case is DUI, and speeding. The jail time and home detention attached to DUI ( multiple) and probation to speeding.
    My question, since my home confinement will be complete in a matter of day, and probation kicks in for the speeding, would the urine tests still be applied for speeding?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  11. Spyder

Spyder Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    My guess is yes. BUT, all supervised release (Probation) conditions are detailed in the original sentencing report from the Judge. Usually, they set a minimum and leave it to the officer to determine how often. I know Alcohol was allowed for me, but the Judge stated 1 urine test per year. That said, the probation officer will decide what is necessary beyond that.
    Example: Yours might say something like 1 Urine test per year, but then your officer will give you what they feel necessary. Make sure the first 1 is good no matter what, sure you'll get another....If they are good, chances are they will back off.

They have such a massive case load if your even remotely "Good" you won't be seeing them much. I've seen mine 2x in the past year. The year prior, a few times at the beginning then that was it for 6 mo...

Not sure how much you have but legally you are required to serve 1 year, then the Judge can terminate it at the request of your PO. I have 2 years, the Judge feels like 1 isn't enough so made me do the 2. But, say I had 4...chances are I would do 2-3 if all was good.

Good Luck......

12. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Real simple solution, stay sober until you have been fully released by the court.

The fact that you are just dying to get back to your old habits, AFTER doing something that put other people at risk, shows you need a lot lore counseling.

13. GraciousMrMiner

Reputation Points:
    My question was in regards to probation for a traffic charge which is generally a civil matter and is actually rarely imposed. Your observations are indeed correct for many yet it was not specific. You don't know anyone's personal intentions.
    I now understand what is ordered in a judgement and commitment lays out the regulations and restrictions for the PO to go by.
    It's also irresponsible and selfserving to assume someone is attempting to get around the system simply because they have a question.
    Furthermore if it's such an easy solution and you've arrived at this conclusion, why not end this thread? What more can be added if we're just to be responsible and don't do drugs?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. GraciousMrMiner

Reputation Points:
    Brief update: ive been removed from home detention as expected, time expired. My concern was how will urine testing be conducted if im not detained at home (probation home visits) the probation officer said rarely do clients visit the office so they're done in the community. Well if im not restricted to home, where? How?
    Also if the same restrictions apply after home detention and if they'd carryover to remainder of probation?

In short, the judgement and commitment (sentence documents) has the recommendation from judge which probation consider. This may seem basic and elementary and of course some conditions vary along with individual. Mine are a bit complicated as include multiple charges, and time, home dention, and probation divided in regards to individual charge.

So its all random ( testing) and although theres "phases" which suggest the times, weekly or monthly or random urine test are done, probation could enhance, lower or terminate.

As Potter mentioned earlier, for harm reduction and self accountibility as well as keeping in mind the greater community, be responsible and if you end up in the system, drug testing is probably one of the lesser matters to concern with!

I see I may have posted in the wrong thread to begin with but wanted to give an update!

15. GraciousMrMiner

Reputation Points:
    Just to add...my time on home confinement, i was given a remote breathalyzer which apparently was fitted with GPS, i never took it outside but i suppose if ones at work or group as the time comes to blow... 3 times a day i had to submit.

It along with the home detention equipment were turned in when my time expired. No more breath tests!