1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Propaganda - Us: "pot 2.0" Is More Potent

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by robert whitfield, Nov 7, 2007.

1. robert whitfield

robert whitfield Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    "Pot 2.0" is more potent
    By: Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor

Thur Apr 26, 2007 8:59 AM EDT

(Pic)- A close-up image of a dried, potent, Cannabis bud (Enlarge Pic). Ryan Bushby/Wikipedia

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The marijuana being sold across the United States is stronger than ever, which could explain a growing number of medical emergencies that involve the drug, government drug experts said on Wednesday.

Analysis of seized samples of marijuana and hashish showed that more of the cannabis on the market is of the strongest grade, the White House and National Institute for Drug Abuse said.

They cited data from the University of Mississippi's Marijuana Potency Project showing the average levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, in the products rose from 7 percent in 2003 to 8.5 percent in 2006.

The level had risen steadily from 3.5 percent in 1988.

National Institute on Drug Abuse Director Dr. Nora Volkow fears the problem is not being taken seriously because many adults remember the marijuana of their youth as harmless.

"It's really not the same type of marijuana," Volkow said in a telephone interview.

"This could explain why there has been an increase in the number of medical emergencies involving marijuana."

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Adminstration, marijuana was involved in 242,200 visits to hospital emergency rooms in 2005. This means that the patient mentioned using marijuana and does not mean the drug directly caused the accident or condition being treated, SAMHSA says.

The number is up from 215,000 visits in 2004.

The pharmacy department at Mississippi has compiled data on 59,369 samples of cannabis, 1,225 hashish samples, and 443 hash oil samples confiscated since 1975. "The highest concentration of (THC) found in a cannabis (marijuana) sample is 33.12 percent from Oregon State Police," the report reads.

'THIS IS POT 2.0'

Hashish and hash oil concentrations are far higher, as they consist of processed plant product.

"Researchers and treatment experts have argued for some time that today's more powerful marijuana has more harmful effects on users. This report underscores that we are no longer talking about the drug of the 1960s and 1970s -- this is Pot 2.0," John Walters, director of National Drug Control Policy, said in a statement.

Volkow said demand has driven growers to cultivate the stronger stuff. "It is the market," she said. "Like in the market you favor the best tomatoes. When people buy marijuana, they don't want a weak cigarette."

Volkow's institute has been studying the effects of cannabis, whose active ingredients are very similar to important brain chemicals called endogenous cannabinoids. "It clearly is addictive," she said.

If children and adolescents use marijuana, it could affect their still-developing brains, she said.

The report said more than 60 percent of teens receiving treatment for drug abuse or dependence report marijuana as their primary drug of abuse.

"Although the overall number of young people using marijuana has declined in recent years, there is still reason for great concern, particularly since roughly 60 percent of first-time marijuana users are under 18 years old," Volkow said.

According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health 4.1 million Americans, or 1.7 percent of the population, report they use marijuana.

http://maconareaonline.com/news.asp?id=17049

2. MrG

MrG Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    Great, it was only a matter of time I suppose.

The good ol' USA has pretty much decided to copy the UK's, highly questionable, claim about everything being "super skunk" and so much higher in THC than before.

"This is Pot 2.0" - Which translates as "I came up with the greatest friggin slang name for modern weed and I'm gonna say it to as many people as I can until everybody starts using it!"

Just another excuse to keep the hype rolling for the WoD.

[concerned parent]
    This Pot 2.0 has me so worried about little Johnny.
    I need a beer to calm my nerves, maybe something a little stronger like a shot of bourbon.
    [/concerned parent]

3. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    How in the hell does a person that consumes this so-called potent pot ends up in the hospital? Swim smoke some killer bud with higher THC levels before and never went to a ER. Might have went to a store to get something to cure the munchies.

4. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from bermuda
    Not very well informed. These have been around for many, many years. Hash oil is a good example of very strong cannabis which has been around for a long time without causing schizophrenia or ER visits.

5. Lunar Loops

Lunar Loops Driftwood Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Male from ireland
    Exactly, what the hell are these "medical emergencies"?

6. Lehendakari

Lehendakari Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from spain
    ^^ I don't want to be the "pig" here, but I do know about certain cases of people freaking out very strongly in their first MJ trips. This was unexperienced people and generally underage and possibly they had a previus mental disorder bla bla bla.... but it happens.

Please don't flame me for posting this.

7. veRGe

veRGe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    What do they do at the hospital? "You are mega-stoned, son. Eat this hamburger and go to sleep."

8. Digemlo

Digemlo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I can't even begin to talk about how much it bothers me when people say that THC is the (implied only) active ingredient in weed.

9. acolon_5

acolon_5 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Maryland, U.S.A.
    Most likely many of these "medical emergencies" are parents coming home to find little Tommy and Betty stoned out of their minds, giggling, laughing, and otherwise having a fun time....Mother dearest freaks out because her "babies" are high on evil, devil drugs that came straight from the hands of Osama so she rushes them off to the ER.

I have personally seen something like this happen before. Medical Emergency my ass. Concerned parent, who is horribly misinformed and inudated with WoD propaganda, emergencies would be more accurate.

10. Purest

Purest Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    The medical emergencies mentioned do not mention wether they were caused by cannabis useage alone or if it was cannabis and alcohol, the latter of course is generally the more common.

This is the same argument that the UK have been throwing around for ages now, its a good way to create a moral panic with overprotective parents and gives more fuel to anti-drug groups who start quoting all these figures that say that people are more at risk, when really it just means people smoke less to get the same desired effects.

11. guncow

guncow Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male
    So where can my cat find the weed with 33% THC? That would be ridiculous.

12. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from bermuda
    Yes, freaking out, but that's it.

13. veRGe

veRGe Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male
    "Freaking out" doesn't require a visit to the ER lol.

14. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    this kind of article has been going around for years. what i read from it is;

"we *might have* lied to your parents when we told them all these same stories we're telling you, but this time we're telling the truth. honest."

15. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from ireland
    This article may exaggerate the potency of today's cannabis but it doesn't seem to include the same ridiculous psychological damage accusations the British campaign uses.

16. Nacumen

Nacumen Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    This is the third time I've seen an article on this subject within the past few years.

"many adults remember the marijuana of their youth as harmless."

I think the MSM (mainstream media) used that line every time, too.

17. elpatto

elpatto Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    27 y/o Male from Australia
    Yea SWIM hears alot about youngsters goin to hospital after getting a real intense trip off weed. It is possibly with some strains to have visuals, trips and sometimes very physical trips. For example, SWIM has before felt like his breathing was becoming depressed an after smoking alot of this super strong bud, it probably was in all honesty, but swim is quite hard to worry.

I think this comes from a change in drug culture aswell though, it seems that more and more people are "Heavy smokers" rather then "Constant smokers". It probably comes from all the strains coming out, crosses of marijuana that bring alot of different effects. It is quite probable that alot more Indica grass was smoked in the past.

Peace.

18. Rhin

Rhin Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    Hmm well it's nice to see that the media still sucks. Hash is going to be more potent than any Marijuanna anyone will find and even that doesn't send anyone to the hospital.

SWIM smoked about a quarter of hash without stopping and he didn't have to go to the hospital. These people going to the hospital probably just freak out because they are inexperienced and it was one of their first times. The media always picks out the bad examples.

19. cosmicruler

cosmicruler Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    35 y/o Male from burkina_faso
    Quote;"Most likely many of these "medical emergencies" are parents coming home to find little Tommy and Betty stoned out of their minds, giggling, laughing, and otherwise having a fun time....Mother dearest freaks out because her "babies" are high on evil, devil drugs that came straight from the hands of Osama so she rushes them off to the ER."

Very well said swiacalon!!!

yet another BS marijuana propaghanda story from the good ol US of A!!!

What too many youngsters buying premiem bud instead of your afghan heroin Georgie boy!!?cutting into ya profit margins aye!!!

20. Swimster

Swimster Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.