USA: Salvia Divinorum ban rising after teen suicide

Discussion in 'Salvia divinorum' started by amd6568, Jun 15, 2005.

1. amd6568

amd6568 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    How long will Salvia divinorum stay legal in the US

How long before you think they will make Salvia illegal? The FDA has there eye on it extremely closely. I read you can't test for it, but they always find a way. I honestly can't believe it is legal, but it grows everywhere so the gov't would have to wipe out stuff everywhere; possibly causing damage.

2. twintornado

twintornado Newbie

Reputation Points:
    53 y/o
  3. transit

transit Newbie

Reputation Points:
    61 y/o
    State Targets Tripped-Out Herb

The Quest To Ban Salvia
    Timothy Bolger 06/16/2005 12:01 am

It's available at stores across Long Island. It is a known hallucinogen. And
    it is totally legal—for now. Salvia, a member of the mint family, has, up till now, flown under the radar of law enforcement. But it has just been targeted by the New York State Legislature.

The state Senate last week passed a bill proposed by Sen. John Flanagan (R-Smithtown) to create a fine of $500 for selling
    Salvia. "This is an interim measure to raise awareness of the drug and allow law enforcement and science to continue further
    study before we engage in full criminalization," Flanagan says. A similar bill pending in the state Assembly would make possession of the herb a crime, but one punishable with only a $50 fine. Narcotics detectives in Nassau and Suffolk counties
    have little information on the substance, authorities say. A spokesperson for the New York office of the federal Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) says since Salvia isn't a controlled substance, they're not looking for it. However, no official felt sufficiently knowledgeable about Salvia, short for Salvia divinorum ("Salvia of the seers"), to comment.

Sam Naderi owns Funtazia, a head shop in East Meadow. He says he's been selling the product—at $20 to $60 per gram—to
    a growing clientele for about three years. "I figured sooner or later somebody would make a stink about it," Naderi says.
    He hadn't heard of the proposed ban, but hopes the state will give warning if it passes. "I wouldn't put it past them to
    completely criminalize it, then come down here and fine us," he says. "Hopefully, it won't pass."

Salvia distributors, such as Florida-based Club 13, say the herb is intended to be used for meditation or as incense.
    Still, there is little information about it, and scientists don't know how it works because they haven't studied it. Novice horticulturists needn't worry, though: The species of Salvia that gets you high is distinct from the flowering plant or culinary garden sage many grow in their yards. Salvia is indigenous to Mexico and is not a controlled substance, according to the DEA, although the agency does list it as a "drug of concern." The psychoactive ingredient is Salvinorin A. The Food and Drug Administration classifies it as one of its "new drugs," because the agency lacks evidence that it is recognized as safe.
    "It is a drug that produces hallucinations similar to those experienced by LSD, and is readily available and legally for
    sale on the Internet," Flanagan says. Multiple Nassau and Suffolk retailers have Salvia readily in stock. "This drug is rapidly
    increasing in popularity among recreational drug users, especially among young adults and adolescents," Flanagan says, noting that it appears to be most prevalent on college campuses. Salvia divinorum is sold at varying intensities, and smoking as little as one-sixth of a gram can cause intoxication, depending on potency and personal tolerance. The herb, which smells like tea and looks like marijuana, has effects that can last from five minutes to as much as three hours, according to Club 13.

The Assembly bill includes information about high doses that reportedly have made users "get up and lunge around the
    room, falling over furniture, babbling incomprehensible nonsense and knocking their heads into walls." Our tester, however, found that a low dose mostly just induced about two minutes of intense giggling. Fun, but not $50 fun. Several states unsuccessfully attempted to ban Salvia in the last three years, but the measures failed because the drug is not chemically related to any illegal substances, Club 13 officials say. Missouri does have a law that prohibits sale to minors.
    Congress failed to pass a nationwide ban on the herb last year, but it has been banned in other countries, such as Australia, Denmark and Italy.
    Brian Del Re, president of Club 13, says a ban on the drug "just takes another choice away from Americans in pursuit of
    liberty." While Salvia retailers statewide may be concerned about their merchandise being so close to illegal, at least they can
    enjoy the uptick of sales now that proposals to ban it are putting the herb in the spotlight.

http://www.longislandpress.com/?cp=162&show=article&a_id=4377

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2006
  4. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Salvia is considered a substance of concern by the DEA. I say it's just a matter of time before some legislation makes it illegal. It has little potential for abuse though and it appears that the effects are harmless. The idea of smoking something to hallucinate is enough to get anything made illegal though, regaurdless if it's practical or not. Once parents catch they're kids smoking it, this stuff will be in trouble.

5. sg43

sg43 Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    WOW...is all i can say![​IMG]

6. Eirias

Eirias Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    $60 a gram-- That is the only thing that's a crime IMO![​IMG]

7. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I bet if I started a business selling any random obscure plant saying
    it gets you high I could get at least Australia to ban it and proposals
    passed elsewhere before anyone stepped back to say hey wait a minute....

8. Eirias

Eirias Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Yup-- Australia bans stuff before they even know what the hell it is or does. It would be interesting to see what would
    happen if they started going after DMT-containing plants like France recently has, and they tried to ban Acacia maidenii-- it grows all over the place there.

9. amd6568

amd6568 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The only concern of mine is the hallucinating part. Other than that, it requires so little to smoke and the effects are so short. Not even the stupidest would try driving or something while on salvia. It just isn't possible (in a high stage). Plus, I would never be able to abuse it... it wears him down too much, plus, the effects are just so intense. Not something you do everyday.

10. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    LOUISIANA STATE LIKELY TO BAN SALVIA DIVINORUM ALONG WITH MANY OTHER SPECIES
    OF PLANTS AND FUNGI

On February 25, 2005 Representative Michael G. Strain (R) introduced House
    Bill 20 to the Louisiana State Legislature. This bill seeks to make it
    illegal to possess, manufacture, or distribute hallucinogenic plants that
    are intended for human consumption. The text of the bill includes a list of
    39 plants and fungi in its definition of the term "hallucinogenic plant."
    Only a few of the plants and fungi listed contain compounds that are
    controlled substances. Some of the plants are quite obscure, some are
    commonly grown as ornamentals, and some are not actually hallucinogenic.
    Salvia divinorum is one of the plants listed. The proposed penalty for
    possession would be imprisonment with or without hard labor for not more
    than 5 years and, in addition, a possible fine of up to $5,000. The proposed
    penalty for manufacture or distribution would be imprisonment with or
    without hard labor for not less than 2 years nor more than 10 years and, in
    addition, a possible fine of up to $20,000.

On May 16, 2005 the bill passed in the House (yeas 98, nays 0). On June 9,
    2005 the bill passed in the Senate (yeas 101, nays 0). On June 17, 2005 the
    bill was sent to the Governor for executive approval (Strain 2005).

Among other entheogens that will be banned are amanita muscaria, calea, morning glory, mimosa hostilis, yopo seeds, and more.

11. ritualkiller

ritualkiller Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I live in Louisiana and was planning on buying some Salvia
    off the internet. When do you think this banning will take place?
    Edited by: ritualkiller

12. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    It will have to be signed into law by the governor first.

This will be a fucking boon to both prosecutors and defense attornies, its so vague and easy to abusively enforce.

13. ritualkiller

ritualkiller Newbie

Reputation Points:
    That's pretty fucking shitty.

14. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    They banned calea??? That an herb that aids in dreaming! How does shit like this happen?

15. gn2osis

gn2osis Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    That wouldn't work; Salvia's active component(s) aren't absorbed via the digestive tract. Tinctures for sublingual absorption are available and do work. One can also chew the leaves (regular unenhanced leaves, soaked in lukewarm water, are fine). Brushing first with a minty toothpaste facilitates absorption. Leaves are bitter, bitter, bitter!

16. RoboCop

RoboCop Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Yea I was very surprised to see calea on the list, they threw just about every popular entheogen on the list so they have complete power to screw people. Most likely this bill WILL be signed. Very unfortunate.

17. uqlfy

uqlfy Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What concerns me is the precedent is now set for the rest of the states to follow. Id suggest to anyone who likes ethnobotanicals to learn how to grow them yourself indoors like you would pot.

18. unico_walker

unico_walker Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Louisiana is in the process as we type, I believe it only has to be
    signed by the governor. Well actually you're in the clear if you grow
    it or posess it for reasons other then consumption. Wheee unenforceable!

19. paradies

paradies Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Posted on June 23rd at a site dedicated to Salvia information. It looks like, within a year, Salvia will be banned Federally in the USA.

Latest news on proposed NY ban: today is the last day
    the legislature is in session and this has a low
    priority, putting it off for as much as a year.

I have a friend who works in a medical research
    library and he called Assemblyman Heastie's office --
    the original sponsor of the bill.

My friend spoke to a legislative assistant who said
    that:

1. He knew of no medical research being done on Salvia
    (he was then sent 30 abstracts of current research
    papers.)

2. Salvia users who use it for legitimate religious
    purposes would be exempt (doubtful).

3. Congress is looking to schedule Salvia and this
    will happen before the NY legislature considers this
    again. (Haven't heard of any proposed bill but need to
    look further.)

Bad news: legislators instinctively want to ban all
    conscious-altering substances for several reasons.
    To maintain the psychic status quo, because they
    believe that without legal restrictions people are
    inherently evil -- and the truly corrupt want to
    subsidize corrupt cops and organized crime.

20. elbow

elbow Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Not that I expect sense from American legislators, where drugs are
    concerned, but making salvia illegal is soooooo stupid. It is not really
    recreational, and lasts such a short time that there is no
    risk people would try to drive while on it. What a waste of time
    and paper to go after salvia. pooh!

I think it will not be scheduled nationally for a while, but the individual states
    will probably step in, so that they can harass headshop owners. I'm pretty convinced that their is an official policy of
    harassment already in place so sneakily outlawing salvia just gives the
    law more powerful means at their disposal.

Edited by: elbow