1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Using kratom to ease withdrawals

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by stressedgirl, Nov 8, 2013.

1. stressedgirl

stressedgirl Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Canada
    I have thought of buying a very small amount of Kratom to help with withdrawal symptoms off going off the codeine and I am now 14 days of fentanyl still with a lot of anxiety symptoms. I am fearful though. I have read a lot of posts on Kratom and do not want to trade one addiction for another. It says to only use Kratom once a week at most so I would only be able to use it on one day to help with withdrawal and cravings. I don't want to be stimulated, only calmed as I am going through this. Can anyone share their experience and suggestions with this approach?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2013
  2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    42 y/o from ireland
    Re: Help from Homeopath With Ignatia and Nux

Using kratom in small doses every other day should not lead to addiction for weeks, if not months. If it does then the withdrawals would be minor and nothing compared to opiates. Red Vein Bali is the strain of choice for most people using it to help with opiate withdrawals. Red veined strains tend to be more sedating, green veined strains stimulating. I would recommend avoiding all extracts and enhanced products and start with 5 grams. If you find you need more then try upping the dose slowly.
    Kratom is a very safe substance, and OD will result in feeling nausea and jitters like from caffeine.
    Have a read through the guide to buying kratom at the top of the kratom forum in the Ethnobotanicals section. The quality of the kratom mostly depends on the quality of the vendor.

3. stressedgirl

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Canada
    Re: Help from Homeopath With Ignatia and Nux

Thank you for your help ianzombie
    I did order a small amount of red bali 25 grams which I believe is in powder form. From what I have read, I should not take any codeine at all when using Kratom. I hope this is correct.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. stressedgirl

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Canada
    Hello
    I have been doing a lot of reading on kratom and from what I have seen depending on a person's makeup they can react differently to kratom. Some people find it makes them very jittery and nervous. I am already very anxious and am fearful of making things worse for myself. I have a codeine addiction of about 180 to 200 mg a day and have tried both cold turkey and tapering to get off this drug with so far little success. I have ordered a very small amount of red vein borneo powder but am very nervous of it making me ill but am hoping to be able to taper my codeine quickly using kratom as an aid every second or third day in my tapering to help with cravings. I hope others have had success getting off opiates with this approach.

5. RelaxForMe

RelaxForMe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I would say that using kratom to help you quit codeine would be a great idea and very common idea it is often used to quit opiods and opiates. But it is important to keep in mind that many opiates and opiods effect different receptors. So i'm going to use an example of squeezing a balloon. one part is going to get smaller the other is going to get bigger. This will happen. And i have heard it does not help every aspect of withdrawal as certain receptors codeine touches won't be touched the same way. I also have to say that you Will more than likely be stimulated even by Red vein varieties As i have in my own experience been stimulated by many varieties of kratom Even Bali and it Will start off like coffee, And then go into a stimulation / seddation zone and then if you dosed enough into a total sedation zone. I find the stimulation / sedation zone to be the most logical choice but if you think you want to push it further and that Is what you think will help but careful not to go over that dose of Just sedation as after the sedation becomes the only effect if you keep dosing you will not get " higher " you will more than likely vomit and get nauseous It is a bad feeling trust me lol. I've done it before while measuring doses by eye It feels very bad. Also read prior reports of people quitting codeine for safeties sake i can not speak from experience I have never tried codeine and i know people such as Lil wayne have had siezures due to codeine use So you're treading scary territory i would say talk to a doctor about this.

RelaxForMe added 6 Minutes and 6 Seconds later...

Just for clarity i will explain the doses a little better in effect.
    Level 1 : Coffee like energy, no sedation total mental clarity a slight burst in energy.
    Level 2 : Real warm feeling inside , negative and unwanted thoughts become something you don't think about I find this ideal for focusing during college , Energy, pain killing effects especially on muscles if you are doing physical hard work such as i do at my job , feeling content , Clear headed.
    Level 3 . Intoxicated feeling, Sleepy , Not clear headed, little muscle pains .
    Level 4 : nausea , vomiting , can't keep eyes open, Not fun at all anymore.

So level 3 if that is what you're after i would try to figure out what amount does that before just dosing in some " huge " amount . I guarantee if you eat the whole ounce you'll be at level 4. I would give the doses that do the different levels for me but I know it won't be the same for you. I have found that red vein varieties have stimulative effects that last a shorter duration so the level 3 effects happen quicker but it isn't immediate sedation either way(strain) In my experience.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  6. stressedgirl

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Canada
    Thank you for your input Relaxforme. I appreciate the time you took to help me out. I have just read some more information on Kratom online. I will definitely start with the lowest dose first and go from there. I take about 6 to 8 tablets of 8 mg codeine a day and they also have caffeine in them which definitely does not help my anxiety in addition to my 4-1/2 30 mg prescribed tablets. I worry greatly about liver toxicity. Thank you again for your help.

7. RelaxForMe

RelaxForMe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    not a problem! and I hope you are able to pull off a successful taper. I also encourage the use of kava to help you taper off of kratom. But i don't want to get ahead of myself. Investigate kava i will say i like kava a lot and i don't believe it is dangerous to the liver if used responsibly and if the source is a good source. pre-capsulated kava i have read is the bad kind of kava. I would use a powdered variety of kava i have used 2 pounds and i find the effect on anxiety very good. It is mood enhancing, It blocks out anxiety in a strong way that nothing else i have tried does , Look into it. once you get it to a point you are only using kratom and you want to stop using kratom ( if you do want to stop i tried kratom with no opiod or opiate experience prior to kratom and i find kratom very enjoyable I don't think i want to stop unless money becomes an issue , or tolerance does one day. ) Kava is on average... I can't discuss prices but it is very cheap in comparison to kratom but It won't treat opiate or opiod withdrawal directly. It isn't an opiod.

Do your own research on kava there is too much to cover in one message I would bet you may find yourself enjoying kava And i know first hand there is no Physical or mental addiction to using kava.

RelaxForMe added 1 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

( Two pounds in all my history of using kava over about the past year now, and i shared a lot of it with people lol. my average dose of kava is ... pretty small.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  8. stressedgirl

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Canada
    Thank you for the information on kava. I will definitely look into that. I hope I can successfully taper. Otherwise I know I am just going to have to detox and that is not anything I look forward to doing. I am terrified of suboxone. I hate the idea of more pharmaceuticals.

9. RelaxForMe

RelaxForMe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I have great faith in that you can do it . All you need to do is believe in yourself Okay? I think pharmies are scary too.

10. stressedgirl

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Canada
    Hello
    I finally got a little packet of Kratom in the mail but I believe the vendor sent me the wrong kind. It is Maeng da and from what I have read that is energizing rather than relaxing. I think I will just contact the vendor and let them know and not touch this type. Ianzombie advised red bali and I wish to follow his directions. I just started on antibiotics today for an impacted wisdom tooth so probably it is not a good idea to mix the 2 at this point. I have decreased my codeine today by 15 mg which is a step in the right direction.

11. RelaxForMe

RelaxForMe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Maeng da is a super hard hitting kratom strain it might do you good to start out with it. I find that other strains i try leave me hoovering for hours in level 2. where as maeng da goes to level 3 very shortly ... but the duration is shorter. it's short acting but hard hitting Is what maeng da is. I think maeng da was too strong for my preference but it may help you anyhow. But Bali is good.... I would try to find that one too from a different vendor But I would keep the maeng Da it's an excellent strain But vendors who make mistakes shouldn't be getting anymore business that's terrible. Goodluck

RelaxForMe added 1 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

Bali's duration for me is usually around 4-6 hours and maeng da's duration is usually 3 hours max. The stimulation is there in the start but if you find the right dose you could ease your nerves. I would play with the dosing a little. good job on your taper! :) .

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  12. stressedgirl

Reputation Points:
    67 y/o from Canada
    Thank you Relaxforme
    I did contact the vendor and they apologized for the error and are sending me a small order of red kali at no expense. I decided to be brave and tried 1-1/2 level teaspoons, 1/2 tsp at half hour intervals as I wanted to be careful of taking too much. I feel a little odd, but that is all and have a slight headache. I really appreciate your support and advice as Kratom is a totally new experience for me. I will also do some more research and when I am ready to order again I will check out a few more vendors before ordering anything.

I hope you are having a good day and are doing well. l:)

13. RelaxForMe

RelaxForMe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If you need any advice or just anything Feel free to message me on my account. I enjoy this type of discussion :) and you're very sweet i am having a great day!.