1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Using Low Dosages of Loperamide to Withdraw from Opiates

Discussion in 'Opiate & Opioid addiction' started by Six6jumpers, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Six6jumpers

Six6jumpers Newbie

Reputation Points:
    51 y/o from New South Wales, Australia
    I've read quite a few posts, but all discuss higher doses of lop to deal with wds. I was on 288mg of codeine for 7 years, stopped 5 days ago. Had 10mg of lope Day 1, 8mg Day 2, 4mg Day 3 & 4 and nothing on Day 5. I realise these are very low doses in comparison to others, but I would still like your advice. Will I start getting withdrawals like I have in the past when giving up codeine?

2. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    You JUST asked this, why are you posting again?

You are asking a terribly subjective question, the only person who can answer it is you. You have already stopped the opiates, so you will know soon enough.

3. Six6jumpers

Six6jumpers Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Firstly, I asked this question on someone else's thread and realised after I wrote it that no one had been on that thread since 2013. A lot of people post subjective questions and people answer subjectively. Unfortunately the people who always answer or ask seem to be mega dosing lop. I was trying to initiate a conversation with a different subset of lop users. I also realise that I will 'know soon enough', but why should that stop me asking? There are people on here who say 'About to quit, what am I in for?' I think your response to my thread is unnecessarily harsh.

4. Petey jm

Petey jm Newbie

Reputation Points:
    34 y/o from Shelby twp, mi
    Ive recently been detoxing from a fairly heave opiate habit. I did try lope, and I took 8 - 2mgs per day for 3 days. It helped keep my tummy in, but that's about it. Idk if it actually did anything for the wds. I was using other meds as well. This probly does not help much, or at all, just thought I'd chime in. Adderall helps a great deal with opiate wds, sounds crazy but I can say it does. Well good luck and just to be safe, maybe take more lope if u have it. Wds are terrible!!

5. uzboth

uzboth It's one hell of a journey.... Silver Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Scarborough, United Kingdom
  6. Six6jumpers

Six6jumpers Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi all, thanks for your input. I tried the regime above, '10mg of lope Day 1, 8mg Day 2, 4mg Day 3 & 4 and nothing on Day 5. On Day 6 I had nothing and then on Day 7 I had 2mg of loperamide. Day 8-10 I've had nothing, except some stuff to help me sleep at night as I am getting whooshes of anxiety. I've tried to withdraw from codeine in the past and have had crazy difficult withdrawals. Restless legs, hot and cold sweats, pretty much all the stuff you read about. Then once you scrape through the worst of it, then you drag yourself around trying to cope with fatigue and depression. This recent attempt using the lowest amount of lope to cope has had a profound difference. I've been able to do more than any previous attempts. I'm still tired most days, but I have chosen to just do what I can. I hope this encourages others as I have been helped greatly from this site.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 13, 2017 ---
    Hi UZBOTH, can I ask if you took 30mg tablets of straight codeine or were they in a tablet which also included ibuprofen, for instance?

7. uzboth

Reputation Points:
    30mg straight codeine, was on co codamol for 10 years which have paracetamol in them Then the doc changed them to straight codeine to eliminate the paracetamol when I finally admitted I had a problem with them, I was taking 20 a day !!

I'm on Day 13 Cold Turkey right now and holding in there, still having withdrawals but nothing like at the start
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 24, 2017 ---
    I'd advise 4mg loperamide at a time, worked for me, don't take it if you don't need it

8. Six6jumpers

Six6jumpers Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Wow Uzboth, you must be a very determined person to have pushed through cold turkey. I am very impressed. I've read about a lot of people who start taking the lope as a replacement drug when they were only using it to withdraw. So I was very aware that I would only take it for the shortest amount of time possible. I'm happy to say that I am 23 days free of codeine and thankfully I am not experiencing the extreme fatigue I did the last time I tried to withdraw. The fatigue lasted a solid 2 months previously. I really hope you hang in there. I found very few posts where people like us have withdrawn and have continued to post further into their quit time. I'm hoping we might encourage others. What do you think? Are you likely to fall back into the habit?

9. uzboth

Reputation Points:
    God no I will never touch codeine again after what iv been through, Iv had my medical records adjusted now so it shows codeine as an allergy, the doctor prescribed me propranolol the other day to kill the anxiety, combined with 200mg pregabalin it has worked a treat

Well done for the 23 days I'm not far behind you, keep posting won't you

10. Six6jumpers

Six6jumpers Newbie

Reputation Points:
    So Uzboth, how are things going? I'm almost up to 2 months and I'm finding I'm getting some cravings. My mind is trying to work out how to give me permission. Old habits are hard to break, but I'm hanging in there. You?

11. uzboth

Reputation Points:
    Yes I'm 42 days clean now, over all the horrid withdrawals, no cravings at all and now reducing my other meds. It's good to be free