1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Injecting - Using old cottons to get a hit

Discussion in 'Heroin' started by lost_soul, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lost_soul

lost_soul Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I have heard users who, after using all their dope, "cook up" their old cottons to get a nice hit. Can someone fill SWIM in on how this is done? SWIM has stored a lot of cottons and hopes to get something out of them.

SWIM has searched the forums and the internet, and found some stories, but no info on how to do it exactly.

Thanks,

lost_soul

2. &rew

&rew

Reputation Points:
    Male from earth
    What about leave one-two droplets on cotton before put it into stash? One droplet wont help SWIY today but 15-20 of those droplets will save him when he'll feel very ill. Then SWIY feels very ill, get those 15 cottons and cook it same way: wash it in spoon with water twice or more and inject this water.

&rew added 5 Minutes and 37 Seconds later...

And be careful with all those substance that were filtered on first cotton use and left on cotton. Filter water before injection, just do same procedure as usual, but active stuff stores in cotton now not in powder.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  3. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    Filthy!

Sounds like a perfect way to get an infection worthy of amputation.

There's no instructions online for the same reason there are no instruction on picking cigarettes out of trashcans.

Go get some help, get off junk.

4. Moving Pictures

Moving Pictures Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    28 y/o Male from U.S.A.
    There is infact several threads related to this. Ones on "cotton fever" as well that discuss the "safest" way to use old cotton. It is very unhealthy but something swim's done many times. When you're in need, you do what you gotta do. Swim never got a decent hit out of it though. Have gotten dirty hits from cooking up with old cottons. Uncontrolable shakes and pounding headaches for hours during withdrawls wasn't much fun. Be careful...

Anyway, not trying to be a jerk at all, but what happened to kicking, lost soul? I thought swiy was going to the doctor. I gave him tips on all he meds that will help with detox, I thought he was gonna give it a shot. I know how hard it is, but I kinda thought swiy was serious. Any new plans to kick? j/w...

5. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    That's kinda rude, don't you think?

There's a reason there's something called "Cotton Fever", you know!

There is a bacteria that lives on cotton - it comes in with it from the fields. Any liquid starts this bacteria multiplying. That wet cotton sitting there with a couple drops of dope left on it "for later"? Those bacteria are fucking like jackrabbits & multiplying like you wouldn't believe. Plus, there's introduction of NEW bacteria from the outside - a not-as-clean-as-we-would-like spoon, maybe the water's been sitting in a cup on the desk all day, and using the method described above, perhaps the needle has been used before.

All of these can lead to a dirty hit/cotton fever, which can lead to endocarditis, sepsis, emboli, all sorts of fun things. And even if it doesn't, cotton fever itself can be 12-24 hours of hell that one can't relieve themselves of, even if one is lucky enough to not have it lead to further damage.

Reusing old cottons is NEVER recommended! And for goodness sake, make sure one doesn't use someone ELSE's old cottons - that's even worse!

The hit may be filtered, but it will never be as *cough* clean as a new hit. You can't filter out bacteria with a cotton bud, I'm sorry to say.

Now, perhaps Potter was a bit...brusque, but what he said was dead on correct.

~Kailey

6. east_of_eden

east_of_eden Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    ever since the last thread we had on this same topic (a couple weeks ago?) swim has been following swimickey_bee's advice and storing her old cottons on a dry, flat surface to try and minimize the bacteria, but she's been wanting to ask ... does anyone know if there is a "safer" method to cooking up a shot with old cottons?

she is really curious because she always saves her cottons, they have saved her from being dope sick many, many times but she recognizes the risk and would welcome any info on how to keep the bacteria down.

is there any kind of wash that could be done on them that could clean them before re-filtering, anything that would work as an anti-bacterial agent?

thanks for any info.

7. Spucky

Spucky Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from japan
    AW: Re: Using old cottons to get a hit

Put them into the Deep Freezer (not only the Refrigerator) until there is a need for them :)
    (very low temperature reduce the Viral and Bacterial load
    because of less multiplying)

8. lost_soul

lost_soul Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Thanks for all the advice.

As far as kicking, SWIM is saving up the money to go see a doc, and get a buprenorphine script. Right now times are tough, it is easier to scrape 20 bucks and get a good deal that will last him a couple of days then save so he can see a doc plus fill a script.

SWIM was supposed to get a buprenorphine script off the black market, twice. From friends, ya know. And believe me swimmers, SWIM had everything ready to go to CVS to buy, ya know, the meds. Next stop - PCP to get clonidine.

But, as you know, users are users. SIGH. SWIM was VERY disappointed. They lied to his face, 90% sure, just so they could get SWIM's lookout. Not once have they looked out for him for dope. Maybe once. Twice tops. SWIM has looked out for them about a 100fold. Wanted to kick and told so - needed buprenorphine. Didn't care how many or even how many milligrams, just get some pills. 5, maybe 10 sounds good. They say "well we need dope." SWIM says, "only got money for the pills, am kicking and getting out of this game." They say, "Ok, ok, we can get 5 pills for about xx bucks."

Never got them.

A million excuses.

SWIM thinks that his "friends" want him in the game since they always get lookout. SWIM is tired of this lookout and if they were his real friends by now, why the "professional" lookout anyway? When SWIM is tired, dopesick, and only has 40 dollars, scraping 2 bucks out of his change bowl to get six, why argue over splitting the 6? 3 just ain't gonna cut it. It has prevented him from developing a "serious" habit in one sense. Hard to do 12 bags a day looking out here and there. But anyway SWIM digresses. (apologizes for ranting)

Possible methadone to obtain, but SWIM is not sure about potency, or if it is even real. SWIM's "friend" has already lied about the cost - XX dollars for one bottle. Now, it's XX for the small bottle, XX for the big bottle. SWIM didn't even know that small and big bottles of meth existed. Can anyone fill SWIM in on this? SWIM was once on methadone for two years and never heard about big and small bottles before.

SWIM is grateful to everybody for their help, for all the meds listed, the information will not go to waste, SWIM assures.

But in the meanwhile ...

lost_soul added 154 Minutes and 17 Seconds later...

SWIM just tried method listed - whoa! It really works. What you really need is a big barrel. Too bad SWIM didn't pay attention to that part more closely. SWIM has an antique 22 gauge huge barrel - PERFECT for this type of activity. SWIM can see the coca-cola type resin forming in the insulin barrel. Haha. It is taking all his might to squeeze it out. But he got a "paterson" dope type hit. Not much of a rush, but feeling it much more now. Better than nothing. You can most certainly get resin out of your cottons, and SWIM will now be saving his cottons for that hit when he runs out of dope. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2014
  9. mickey_bee

mickey_bee Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    There are many many many threads on this topic, some of them only a month or so old. There are also many threads dealing with the issue of cotton fever.

In most of them swim has typed up a long detailed reply, and they're certainly worth checking out.

So do a search, and swiy will find some good info.

EDIT: And methadone comes in all sorts of containers and sizes. Swiy should ask how many ml's woll cost how much, not just how much a 'big bottle' will cost. Good luck, stick at getting a script!

10. lost_soul

lost_soul Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    Pretty sure she said the big bottle was 40ml, I'm guessing 40mg, but I don't know, unfortunately my friend had an attitude and was like, "well I don't give a damn about milligrams," and "I don't care," so I don't know if it's 1 mg/ 1ml, I'm hoping it's 4mg per ml, so it's closer to 160mg, but who knows, methadone comes in many different concentrations as I've discovered though my google searches.

Still I'd rather wean with suboxone, but it seems the ppl who have suboxone do not want to give it up! Lol. I guess I wouldn't sell mine either if I were trying to stay clean.

Later,

lost_soul

lost_soul added 5 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

Thanks for the encouragement.

SWIM did another search, and did find some more info. So my kitten apologizes if resurrected something old, but it seemed that he could not find any info.

Oh ya, some of the filters contained ritalin, SWIM is wondering, will the ritalin filter as well? Just wondering, you know. It seems like it did, but SWIM was so psyched up for a heroin hit, he really couldn't tell. Will other drugs also filter through? I don't see why not.

later,

lost

lost_soul added 5 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

Oh yea, SWIM is also guessing that he can use the filters used for these filter shots for future re-filter shots (yea I know, tough English there). Can he? Don't see any reason as to why not. Or would there not be enough resin?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  11. antialias

antialias Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from sweden
    Swim thanks swiy for the recognition of his tips. Swim first learned of this technique from the really old old timers here in his town. A filter hit can be a bit of a roulette in matters of the amount of effect swiyll get all depending on how good the heroin the filters were used for, and also, instead of sucking a filter dry when swiy is loading a normal shot..leave a few drops there because they won't matter at all when swiy have a proper hit but like someone else mentioned before when swiy is desperate those drops will matter ALOT. And yes, a big barrel is essential for the technique swim mentioned.. and also, cutting off the nozzle on the barrel is a good idea also, swiy will understand why when he tries it next time.

And yes, other drugs that have gone through the filters will follow through to some extent also..and yes swiy can re-use these already re-used filters like this again with less effect of course..but Swim personally would simply do the procedure he mentioned in his first post and then repeat this processs about 3 times in a row instead until the filters are completely whitewashed" so swiy will get 1 strong filter hit instead of several weak ones..

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  12. mickey_bee

mickey_bee Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Although methadone comes in many different preparations, in pills and in liquid, the most common by far is 1mg/ml. It would be really very unlikely for swiy to come across any other strength solution. Certainly, if it was 4mg/ml, the person selling it would have made this very clear so as to get more money! As I say, other strengths do exist, but are very rare, particularly within the addict community.

As for washing a filter more than once, (I think that's what swiy was getting at?), there's really no point, as if swiy washed them properly the first time, there will be a negligible amount of active ingredient remaining. After swiy's washed them once just throw them away, they're useless.

13. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    "filtering" through cotton balls will not remove the bacteria that tend to grow when someone leaves wet fibers exposed to air.

Fungi and molds can also grow and will have a better chance of surviving dry periods as their spores easily go dormant.

How much can really be recovered form cottons? This seems kind of excessive to go through all this effort.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  14. east_of_eden

east_of_eden Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    it does seem excessive (and dangerous and probably stupid to many people) but it is possible to get a really good hit from filtering old cottons.

swim has had some great hits especially when she's been sick and her old cottons are the only thing she's had. it's made all the difference in the world when it comes to being sick or well.

15. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Cold Member Palladium Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    52 y/o Male from Germany (yes, so many)
    AW: Re: Using old cottons to get a hit

Want to add: When cooking these deep-freezed cottons up, to filter the fluid a wheel-filter should be used because of their capability to filter bacteria out of the fluid. maybe then the possibility of cotton-fever or sepsis is minimized. Wheel-filters cost really very little money and can be bought at chemist stores.

Best way is to not re-use filters at all. (The Wolf has done it, but has never got a decent hit, how much ever filters he used)

TBBW

16. Ilsa

Ilsa Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    Female from Tennessee, U.S.A.
    ^^^indeed!! wheel filters are micron-level filters, usually 0.2 um is small enough filter pore size to ensure that all microbes are removed from the liquid.

17. wotyafterlad

wotyafterlad Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.K.
    Re: Reusing saved old filers

uncle Tarquin's closet gimp would avoid doing filters if at all possible, but this is his routine for filters from UK style smokable/injectable gear:

he uses the harder slimline filters that are less soft and cottony, and as said above, leaves them out in the open to dry.Once dried, he wraps them very loosely in foil to stop dust etc settling on them.

when desperate enough to use them, he puts a small pinch of vit c in a spoon, puts five or so of the dried filters over the vit c, squirts water over them using a clean rig, and leaves them alone to soak for 20 minutes or so.

after soaking he uses the end of the rig to gently squash the filters to release any brown colours/residue contained within,leaves for a few more minutes,then heats the spoon until the liquid surrounding the filters boils. Then he sucks up as much brown liquid through the filters and into the rig as he can.

then he squirts this liquid into another clean sterile spoon,heats it gently,and draws it up through a brand new clean filter using a new rig,not the same rig he used in the first stage.

then he injects it, if he can find a vein ..but he doesnt really enjoy it, and only does them as a last resort. He's heard some horror stories about infections and dirty hits from using filters, and knows theres no smoke without fire.

18. Cynder

Cynder Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from U.S.A.
    I inject my cottons all the time when I did all my dope. I just did actually and got a great hit with just about 7 cottons.
    I also open and scrape out my empty bags and get a good amount of powder leftover, which I also add to the hit with the cottons. Here's what you do, when using your dope, don't squeeze the cottons, leave a good amount of dope in them so their really wet.

Then put it somewhere clean and open to the air so they can dry out all the way, so that there's no bacteria that can grow. They're safe when they're dried out. When your out of dope, put several of these cottons (they should be dry and hard because of the dried dope powder in them) in a cooker or spoon, whatever you use, add enough water to saturate them (but not too much), I use something to mix and squeeze the cottons for a minute or two to get all the dope dissolved into the water, squeeze them out and use one of the cottons as a filter to pull it all up into the syringe.
    If you leave enough dope in the cottons you'll get a good hit.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2014
  19. randomuser92

randomuser92 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    there IS another way to make use of old cottons.

disclaimer: i don't use needles, but i think this idea may work, albeit, not as well as shooting.

i think the only way to avoid the risks involved with used cottons would be to just simply put them in your mouth and suck on them. this way, it is oral administration, rather than putting that stuff in your veins. it won't have quite as much bio-availability, but you will at least get something out of those old filters.

just my .02

20. source

source Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from england
    What? After its been rolling around in the spoon collecting all sorts of shit and then squashed to get what little gear there is, out of it?
    The point of filters is to draw the fluid 'through' them, and if you're using an old filter to draw the fluid through then you are just putting the needle smack bang ontop of what could be a serious infection. You may aswell not use a filter at all.

My advice, from experience, draw the living hell out of the filter the first time and then throw it away. The amount of times I have re-used old filters when desperate is unbelievable, and I've either ended up with a crap hit or worse than that, a dirty one.

But I know how things are when your down on your luck and need just 'something' no matter how small to take the pain away.
    I have previously kept old filters in a small plastic food container, something airtight, sterile and clean, best time I did this is was 'before' I injected.
    I have done what most have already suggested, which is to put three or four of them in a spoon and then the solution. Squashed filters down with the plunger of the syringe, rolled em around, but do whatever you would normally do to get any slightest hint of gear out, then heat. Even if the fluid in the spoon looks clean it might not be, so heat gently as you would normally.
    Then use a new filter to draw the fluid through and into the syringe (resting bevel end down ontop of filter not in it) then throw ALL filters away... (the tempation to re-use a second time is quite high when you inject and realise that the shot was shit and all that effort really wasn't worth it)

I know it's easier said than done but the best advice is just to ditch them the first time round.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.