Opinions - valium subsitute: Valerian?

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by calmascanbe, Sep 6, 2006.

1. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    If SWIM off topic or on the wrong forum please delete. SWIM heard many people say valerian root is compairable to valium and has anyone used or suplimented for valium?

2. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    valerian root can aid in getting to sleep, but it is certainly no substitute for valium in terms of its relaxation properties. I have taken valerian many times and it feels to him more like a natural tiredness, aiding in sleep under normal conditions. it does not help swim for stimulant comedowns, it is simply not as powerful. valium on the other hand can put the user to sleep even in adverse circumstances, make the user less anxious, or be used recreationally.

if You is looking for a sleep replacement for valium, then valerian could work despite how comparitively weak it is. if You is looking for a recreational replacement for valium, then kava kava might be the way to go. please read up on this plant if You hasnt, its worth checking out.

3. Benzhead

Benzhead Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM's experience parallels SWIFTSL's. I have tried Valerian - both extract and powdered root - and has found that VR is no substitute for a benzodiazepine such as Valium(diazepam). In fact, I found that in any dosages tried Valerian was maddenly ineffective.

However, SWIM must add that SWIM's experiences are not the last word in VR's potential for either therapeutic relaxation and/or as a sleep aid.

I cannot comment on the following:

1) The veracity of the claims of the manufacturer regarding effective strength.

2) The dosing (which would really be a subset of the above)

3) How effective others are likely to find Valerian for relaxation/sleep enhancement properties. (some of the effect people report is likely due to expectations, rather than an effect of the plant..isn't the human brain a wonderful organ?)

I am certain that there are a host of other things that he is foretting, but since SWIcalmascanbe is a member of this forum, I am sure you can fill-in all the myriad of blanks that I have left. People here are smart.

I have also tried Kava, both root and extract; and again - with all of the above disclaimers still in effect - found the experience to be a non-experience.

SWIthe "Evil Troll" moderator, Nagognog2, stated in this post that SWINagognog2's friend recently went to Tonga and used Kava in the traditional method(a report may be forthcoming). There seems a lot more support for Kava on this forum than Valerian. A quick hop over to the 'Kava-Kava' module should give You plenty to read about at the very least.

SWIM hopes that You finds relaxation via a truly natural pathway. A pathway that has eluded SWIM in over a decade of searching.

4. calmascanbe

calmascanbe Newbie

Reputation Points:
    thanks for all the help. Both of you have made My mind up.