Canada - Vancouver Has them too

Discussion in 'Coffeeshops' started by MrJim, Apr 14, 2005.

1. MrJim

MrJim Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Hey, I just thought that I would start a strain about canadian "Coffeeshops". Ours are a little different from the Dutch because, as a rule of thumb, you cannot buy weed there. There are, from time to time, shops that pop up which do sell weed, but they tend to get shut down rather quickly. Smoking inside the shop is allowed, however it is polite to buy something there. I am not sure which ones are currently open, now that I live out of the city, but Hastings and Commercial are 2 streets that frequently have them. [​IMG]Yeehaa!

2. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    so letme get this straight, you can go in but weed to smoke in there, but cannot buy any to leave with, no doggy bags or nothing. Please would anyone describe the practices in Vancouver and maybe some current prices and varieties. Sounds interesting I hope it will soon catch on in the states. Now all we got to do is get that no good bible bangingrich kid from Texas out of office and we'll be set. They'll be able to let the gas prices go back down too.

3. Cure20

Cure20 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Canada
    Yeah Vancouver not only has these shops, but they also have something called "Safe Injection sites" so junkies that are on the streets can go into one of these places, get a fresh needle, sit down in their own booth, and "safely" inject the drug of choice. Then some times they get fed.

The purpose of these Safe Injection Site's is to stop the transfer of aids via. sharing needles with other people. As well as stop poeple from over dosing.

4. Cure20

Cure20 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Canada
    453 W. 12th Ave Vancouver, BC V5Y 1V4 phone: 604.871.6483 fax: 604.871.6488
    www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/fourpillars
    CITY OF VANCOUVER
    FOUR PILLARS DRUG STRATEGY
    SUPERVISED INJECTION SITES (SISs)
    FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
    Q: What is a supervised injection site (or “safe injection site”)?

A supervised injection site is a controlled health care setting where drug users inject
    drugs under supervision and receive health care, counselling, and referral to health
    and social services, including drug treatment.
    Q: What kind of services does the supervised injection site (SIS) provide?

The SIS provides:
    • Supervision of injections, including emergency response to drug overdoses;
    • Injection-related first aid (such as wound and abscess care);
    • Assessment and referral to primary health care and service providers;
    Harm reduction teaching and counselling;
    • Exchanges of condoms, needles and other injecting equipment.
    Q: Why is there a supervised injection site in Vancouver?

Vancouver has an open drug scene and one of the largest concentrations of injection
    drug users in North America, centred in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside. HIV/AIDS
    and hepatitis C infection rates for Vancouver’s injection drug users have reached
    epidemic levels.
    Supervised injection sites (SISs) are an immediate harm-reduction measure – the first
    in a number of steps that need to be taken to build an integrated system of care that
    has the capacity to address a range of drug addiction issues. Vancouver has moved
    ahead with harm reduction and the SIS to help prevent the ongoing spread of
    HIV/AIDS, hepatitis C, and drug overdoses and deaths in the city. SISs function as an
    important first point of contact for marginalized drug users who cannot be reached by
    health care providers through traditional means.
    Q: What do you hope to achieve with the SIS?

• To improve the overall health of drug users, including reducing the incidence of
    overdose and disease transmission;
    • To reduce the harm associated with illicit drug use (e.g. crime, discarded needles,
    public drug use;
    • To increase appropriate use of health and social services by drug users;
    • To reduce health, social, legal and incarceration costs associated with drug use.

5. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    yeah, okay but at the coffee shops do you go in and smoke your own or do they actually sell it to you there? I understand the injection sites don't sell dope. If the coffee shops sell weed how much is it usually (per gram)? Do they make sure you smoke it all there. Do they give you the pipe or papers to use? Enlighten me please. My wife has wanted to go to Vancouver for the last several years but I always argue that I don't think theres much to do (party wise is what I'm thinking), so I usually talk her into Vegas instead.

6. Cure20

Cure20 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    36 y/o from Canada

All the awsers to your questions were already were in the first post.

7. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    In hamilton Ontario there is a coffee shop though the name eludes me in which you can buy THC-less grass and smoke the cops have busted them a cpl times for thc residue on bongs

8. polloloco001

polloloco001 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    i think safe injection sites are a really good idea. its a sign of a
    more mature way of dealing with societies drug issues. maybe the US
    will see the light, but probably not, because our leaders are
    close-minded and backward thinking.

9. Rivet_Head

Rivet_Head Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada

Who smokes, THC-less weed?? [​IMG]

10. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Damn, they are smoking hemp, instead of marijuana. Will give a headache instead of a high. Tastes the same though.

11. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    frankly i don't really get the point if they aren't selling products. i'm sorry I am amercan and that concept in america would just be a point A for the dea boys to hang out and find out who's smoking, follow them, tap their phones, threaten to inform the persons employer etc. and bam --point B you're busted.

what would ultimately make sense would be if it were like amsterdam here. tax the shit do away with drug testing. the $ we save by having 2 million less prisioners could pay for 2 million kids to go to college. maybe one of them could actually go on and do something great. like run a country properly.

1. 3/5,
      Funny and correct.
      Jul 28, 2007
  12. Be-Bop

Be-Bop Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    They tried to institute both a Heroin program (actually just a trial program) in a couple of the cities in my country, plus there have been attempts to set up SIS's..both have FAILED coz our present Govt. just loves the sound of the 'Zero Tolerance' thing!!

In fact, a couple of years ago (actually, more like 7-8 years ago) when there was REAL talk of these Heroin programs getting off the ground..the Prime Minister invited that fucker "Freeh" or whatever the fuck that guy's name is..he's from the FBI (i think?)..there was a hilarious photo op of the PM with his arm around a very confused FBI guy..he was there to explain 'Zero Tolerance'..but i don't think even this 'law & order' type could understand WHY he was invited, as the drug situations in our respective countries are quite different..

Be-Bop [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

Actually the dumb bastards are to chicken shit to tax cannabis in The Netherlands. Taxing means legalisation. Althoug the total country knows that this is the most logical thing to do. At least I haven't heard anyone, who found the current situation logical or practical.

14. fr0d0

fr0d0 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Well I think legalisation is a bad thing... When weed becomes taxable,
    prices will probably rise a lot. Dont forget that the government will
    probably also put an extra fee on it, like they do with cigarettes. My
    personal expectation tells me that we'll be looking at at least double
    prices for legal weed. Also, the illegal weed trade will still remain
    to exist, as this is not taxable.

15. oldman

oldman Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    yeah but it would correct prices somewhat. you probably wouldn't have to spend several hundred $ for an oz. of kind B. For those that are unhappy about the fed. or state tax of cannabis, there would also be the legal option of growing your own like there is for foods now. Don't get me wrong I'm against legislation of nearly anything but you don't think this stuff will ever be legal without it do you? We know they are gonna want their share. The only reason they've gottenaway with the cigarette tax is because they can. People stillsmoke that really like it. Price stopped me but to be honest I feel all the better for it. Thanks gov.

16. Herbal Remedy

Herbal Remedy Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    so when the guy gets it from the supplier for a certain price, then charges ur buddy you get it from an even higher price, and then your buddy turns around and raises the price for you, you wouldnt call that taxing? i mean come on, a pound of weed can equal the cost of a car here in the united states, while i can buy a pound of sugar at the store for under $10. yes, if the government started producing herb, they would want to make money off of it, but its a PLANT, do you realize how cheap it is to grow plants in mass quantity? If the prices ended up staying relatively the same (but legal) i would be shocked (of course still happy it would be legal), but for the prices to be higher because its legal, im just not seeing how that works...

17. Psychonautica

Psychonautica Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Yes it is true that there is to be no buying or selling of weed inside the Vancouver pot cafes, technically you're not even allowed to discuss where you can buy the chronic inside the premises. But just ask around and the very friendly people will tell you where to find bud, and usually in Vancouver it's always right under your nose.

And the difference between America and Canada is that no one cares in Canada. No one's trying to bust you in Vancouver. There are just WAY too many pot activist stoners for the government to do anything. In fact most of the time if you give the cop a little toke he'll leave you alone, usually they don't even take away your piece (or stash!). The government here regulates the drug trade very tightly, and watches the pot cafes very closely, but it's legal to smoke in them there's no worries.
    Also, the Canadian government would have to spend like billions and billions of dollars to keep track of and follow that many individual stoners, and they're just not that interested in tapping phones and informing employers about something pretty much one out of every two people participates in.

18. WrtngCocaineTutorial

WrtngCocaineTutorial Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I think taxing would be the right way to go too. If it would be taxed by the government, they would make money of it, and thus have another reason to keep the coffeeshops.

19. jcdjinn

jcdjinn Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Even if prices rise in the Netherlands, they'd probably still be way cheaper than in the U.S.

[Prices are not allowed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  20. Schwag

Schwag Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    [Prices are not allowed]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007