Drug info - vanilla extract

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Desertfox, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Desertfox

Desertfox Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    If you drank vanilla extract would you get drunk. its 40 proof. if you drank like two bottles you would start feeling it right. or would you get sick beyond belief.

2. rideburton56

rideburton56 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    i didnt even know vanilla extract contained alcohol. Seeing as a touch of the stuff can flavor an entire cake, i cant imagine drinking 10 shots or so (enough to get you drunk) would be worth it. if your desperate (ahem ahem underage) then have a ball ull stink like vanilla the next day but im sure they wont card u for vanilla extract. Its definitely edible if that is ur question

3. fatmanstan

fatmanstan Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from The Netherlands
    I've heard of some grocery stores near some of the dry native reserves have had to stop or limit selling vanilla extract to certain customers.

4. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    The cooks in WWII had to keep the stuff under lock and key.

5. glorf

glorf Newbie

Reputation Points:
    when i lived in south texas, i noticed that the cheap mexican liter bottles of it (also sold further north, wherever there are mexicans) were popular with cheap mexicans.

6. Chaote

Chaote Newbie

Reputation Points:
    vanilla enema? you wouldn't taste it...

7. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    Ive tasted a tiny bit of vanilla extract and it burned my whole mouth behond belief, no where close to any real alcoholic beverage. I would imagine that if you could stomach the extract it COULD get you drunk, but for some reason i dont think anyone would find it the least bit pleasant.

And i would think a vanilla extract emema would also burn behond belief.

8. bcStoner420

bcStoner420 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I searched on the internet and found that the real Vanilla extracts are usually 35-40% alcohol , some are as high as 60%. The artificial ones have no alcohol at all however. I can imagine it would taste like liquor with intense vanilla, whatever that is I'm sure it's not much like vanilla ice cream!

9. Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC

Ho0k3d0nChRoNiC Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Vanilla extract doesnt taste ANYTHING like vanilla ice cream! it tastes kinda bitter and bad. I mean think about it, one drop can flavor a batch of cupcakes...

lol i would know, my dad is a chef..

bad tastinggg

10. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    I think you may have proof and % mixed up. Most vanilla extract is 40% fruit extracts can be even higher, up to 90% and yes you can get drunk. SWIM once drank 4oz of vanilla extract when he was young. It does the job but god is it nasty.

11. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Vanilla extract is like baker's chocolate in this respect - it needs to be combined in the correct ratio with other things to taste good. Ever bite into a piece of baker's chocolate as a kid? Yech!!

12. psychedelaholic

psychedelaholic Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    Surely you'd have to drink a lot of bottles to get drunk, probably make you really sick and hate vanilla for the rest of your life. 40 proof means it's only 20% alcohol by the way as well.

13. Evilsatan

Evilsatan Newbie

Reputation Points:
    You might as well drink ethanol! Must taste nicer than Vanilla extract! I was dared to try this and chocolate flavouring at a drunken party and both made me want to be sick, the taste is vile!

14. Ranke

Ranke Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o from U.S.A.
    To back up my last post I found a bit of info on wikipedia about vanilla extract.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanilla under uses

Acording to wikipedia
    "Extract (alcoholic solution; per FDA requirements, at least 35% vol. of alcohol)"

So if you live in the US its likely that you have 40% vanilla extract not 40 proof.

15. radagast

radagast Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    would anyone know how to extract the alchohol?

16. psychedelaholic

psychedelaholic Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from england
    Fractional distillation would be the best way

17. Senor Gribson

Senor Gribson Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    if you were really that deperate for a buzz that you'd drink (or distill) vanilla extract, wouldnt it be easier and cheaper just to brew your own beer/wine? i did that once when i was a kid. i didnt drink it of course because that would be illegal, i let swim drink it :p. he told me it didnt taste half bad and believe me it got the job done.

18. KurtKocaine

KurtKocaine Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Vanillia extract is EXPENSIVE. If you're desperate enough to down shots of vanillia, then buy some peppermint extract.

19. Powder_Reality

Powder_Reality Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    One time I was at work (he works in a kitchen) and was very bored. He grabbed a bottle of vanilla extract that was lying around, as he had heard that people could get drunk off of it. For the hell of it, SWIM and another worker sat down and got out a shot glass that had been lying around in a drawer. I took his shot and it tasted absolutely terrible. He was expecting a very sweet and rich vanilla flavour, but instead it tasted like bitter water, with a hint of chlorine. They both took a few more shots, but stopped because it was making them rather sick. They hardly even felt buzzed, but felt that it had the potential to be a cheap drunk. If you had to, I guess you could get drunk from it, but why not just gather up your change and buy some Everclear vodka or something. They both taste like shit, but at least the Everclear won't make you quite as sick.

On a sidenote, SWIM forgot to put away the vanilla and shot glass and left them out in plain site. His boss came in, saw the stuff laying out and asked him what they were doing with it. I went beet-red and made up some bullshit story about how they were making themselves cinnamon sticks and were using the vanilla to make icing. SWIM's boss just smiled and shook her head. :D

20. cactus

cactus Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    a 16 year old melbourne kid died from drinking it around 2 years ago, so now if you want the good stuff you have to have ID.