Combinations - Venlafaxine+Gabapentin+Kratom

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by PainFreeExistence, Sep 10, 2014.

1. PainFreeExistence

PainFreeExistence Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Okay folks I need some advice. A certain person I know was put on dilaudid 2mg 3X a day. His pain doc decided to drop him down to 3 7.5s of hydrocodone a day after he felt too sedated from his previous meds. Problem is he is out and has five days until he goes to see his doctor to let them know that the hydrocodone doesn't do much for him. He recently found his old bottle of neurontin and has started taking that at 300mg BID along with his effexor(75mg TID). He's still got some Bali and was wondering how safe it would be to take that as well so he can limp along until his appointment. Any advice you guys could offer would be great.

2. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    The kratom should not interact badly with any of the above mentioned drugs.
    I take an SSRI and have no issues with the combination.
    Perhaps you could try using the kratom on its own (without the pain meds) and see if it is enough to help with your pain.
    Many people have used it successfully to replace prescribed pain medication.
    Keep in mind that it is never a great idea to mix CNS Depressants, so if you are combining them take less than usual.
    Try starting with 5 grams of the Bali on its own and see how that helps.

3. profesor

profesor Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Colorado, U.S.A.
    Neurontin was originally developed as a epilepsy drug and relieves pain by an entirely different mechanism than dilaudid or any other opiate. Effexor is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI). Kratom is a μ-opioid receptor agonist like morphine (and hydrocodone I beleive). So theoretically there should be no interaction with the other two drugs, and kratom will directly address any withdrawal symptoms from hydrocodone, while the other drugs won't.
    I think your greatest worry is if you decide to tell your doctors about kratom. They may have a very dim view of it and in my experience doctors HATE patients medicating themselves with anything, and certainly not non-pharmaceuticals they are unfamiliar with.
    The wisest thing to do may be to wait until withdrawal symptoms begin, although by that time there may be no question in your mind about whether to use the kratom.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  4. PainFreeExistence

PainFreeExistence Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Awesome! Thanks guys. I'd heard gabapentin can go well with kratom from a therapeutic standpoint but am somewhat twitchy about dumping too much into my body at once.

5. PainFreeExistence

PainFreeExistence Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Okay so I tried it and found that gabapentin and bali are a fantastic mix! It hit me like the first time I took my dilaudid with baclofen but I didn't feel like my cns was shutting down nor did I feel mentally foggy. Maeng da with gabapentin on the other hand didn't work quite as well and left me with that an inability to think straight. I am curious though: does anyone know if kratom processed through the liver or kidneys?