1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Other - vicodin and orange juice

Discussion in 'Hydrocodone' started by tumadre, Sep 30, 2009.

1. tumadre

tumadre

Reputation Points:
    I heard that if you take vicodin and drink grape fruit juice at the same time, that the grape fruit juice would make the vicodin stronger or something. I don't have any grape fruit juice, but I do have orange juice. Can orange juice work?

2. paranoid_android

paranoid_android Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    It's difficult to say. From what I've heard, most (or many) fruit juices contain the same chemicals in GFJ that make it good for opiates, just not as much.

However, opiates absorb worse the more acidic the gut is, better when it's less acidic (like after taking Tums or baking soda). So on that front, it'll hurt.

Tough to say.

3. Nnizzle

Nnizzle Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Purely for the advancement of my knowledge, do you have a source that says that other juices have the right ingredients? The basis for opiate potentiation by drinking grapefruit juice has to do with the inhibition of the P450 enzyme which is an enzyme involved in the breakdown of opiates, hence when it is inhibited, less opiates (or perhaps at a slower rate) are broken down, supposedly increasing bioavailability. From what I've heard, grapefruit is the only juice that has this property, but I could be mistaken.

nnizzle added 8 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Sorry.. I guess P450 isn't the enzyme, it's actually the CYP2D6 which is a member of a family of enzymes called Cytochrome P450? I think that's right, but I am just reading articles about the "grapefruit juice effect" and explaining how I believe it works.

nnizzle added 2 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

And the compounds which cause this inhibition are called furanocoumarins... and apparently orange juice does contain some of the same furanocoumarins as GFJ so perhaps it would actually work... I guess that's why paranoid_android said it was hard to say. Whoops.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. Jatelka

Jatelka Psychedelic Shepherdess

Reputation Points:
    Orange juice does not inhibit the enzyme in question.

5. Kurdunsky

Kurdunsky Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ^^

Are you familiar with any other juices that do inhibit the enzyme in question? SWIM seems to have trouble finding grapefruit juice, he'd find use in knowing alternatives

6. enchilada

enchilada

Reputation Points:
    Although I am not familiar with any other juices that significant inhibit the enzyme in question, there is an OTC product known as Tagamet which in essence does the same thing. It is much more general in its inhibition, as it inhibits most of the Cytochrome P450 set, which, in my opinion, has proven to be just as effective as a glass of grapefruit juice, with the added bonus of not tasting nearly as shitty.

Around 600mg is an ideal dose, which is 3 of the OTC pills that one can get at CVS or Rite-Aid.