Vicodin interactions: sam-e or st. john’s wort?

Discussion in 'Hydrocodone' started by TheWookie, Mar 8, 2019.

1. TheWookie

TheWookie Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Milwaukee
    Hey DF, I’ve been googling so many different combinations and cannot find good information about how Hydrocodone (Vicodin) may interact with herbal remedies for mild or seasonal depression like SAM-e or St. John’s Wort (SJW for short).

I’ve found references from Mayo Clinic that said Morphine and Oxycodone effects are reduced if taken with St. John’s Wort. I’ve also seen that SJW can increase the stimulating effects of Hydrocodone.

I can’t find much of anything that would help me understand if SAM-e interacts with Hydrocodone.

I’m just either really bad at searching or there’s much less information about interactions between narcotics like Vicodin and herbal remedies for depression like SAM-e or SJW.

I’d appreciate any experiences, references or data anyone has so I can make the best choice since I take Vicodin for post surgical pain from an artificial cervical disc replacement at C4/5. I’m not trying to potentiate the Vicodin. I personally feel like my pain gets worse while taking SAM-e like I’m more sensitive to pain. With SJW I feel like it may help reduce pain.

One common theme and warning with SJW is that it interacts with a host of prescription medications but I can’t find specific interactions with Vicodin.

Can I assume that when they show a study that says morphine and oxycodone effects are reduced that the same would apply to hydrocodone? I seem to recall that there are differences between the opiates/opioids and they’re not all the same.

Thanks for any input you may have or experiences.

2. Jaiden Thomas

Jaiden Thomas Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o from Texas
    Call and ask your pharmacist about interactions.

3. Docta

Docta Idiot Savant Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    This is a link to the drug interaction porthole at webMed https://www.webmd.com/interaction-checker/default.htm

You will need to speak with your doctor about this.

Now assuming oral dose, webMD returns 2 drug integrations with the advisory to "Monitor Closely"

"Significant interaction possible (monitoring by your doctor required)"

"St. John's wort oral will decrease the level or effect of Vicodin oral by altering drug metabolism"

interaction.jpg