1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions - Views On Over The Counter Highs

Discussion in 'Various drugs not covered by other forums' started by jimXmorrison, Feb 25, 2010.

1. jimXmorrison

jimXmorrison

Reputation Points:
    Many people look down upon OTC drug use. Some think it is foolish to get high on anything you can get from the supermarket. Others look past the fact that they are not "real", or "street drugs and enjoy the experiences that those substances produce. I'd like to here your opinions on OTC highs.

This includes:

DXM (Robitussin,Delsym,etc.)
    Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Unisom, etc.)
    Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine, Gravol, etc.)
    Ephedrine (sold as asthma medication)
    L-desoxyephedrine & Propylhexedrine (Vicks and Benzedrex Vapor Inhalers)
    Epinephrine (OTC asthma inhaler)
    Poppy Seeds
    Nutmeg
    Morning Glory Seeds (LSA)
    Whip-Its
    Duster

(this excludes alchohol and i guess you can include caffiene pills if you want)

2. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    Thread moved to Various drug discussion, for the discussion of the opinion on various different drugs available legally.

3. themidnighttoker

themidnighttoker

Reputation Points:
    First I'd like to point at that this method of getting intoxicated is petty and is perhaps more dangerous than any of the others mentioned on your list.

SWIM thinks too many people underestimate the power of OTC's. While DXM is SWIM's drug of choice, he has tried and researched many of these and it's ironic that people actually believe they're safe recreationally because they're safe when used as directed.

When I think of how many illegal drugs there are today and how many of them back in the day were legal because they were "safe," I shudder.

4. Flying Mind

Flying Mind Titanium Member

Reputation Points:

The negative (and long-lasting) cardiovascular implications greatly outweigh any positive effects.Probably the "strongest" OTC "high" available besides DXM.

If one must use this drug proceed with caution. Lower dosages, e.g. half the cotton rod, may be best suited for first timers (AND SWIM means this in the sense of protecting SWIY's heart/cardiovascular function) . Also SWIM has found as little as 1/4th a cotton rod effective.

Use with extreme caution.

Also, MANY people describe this "dirty feeling" kind of hangover that can last up to two days following the experience. In other terms feeling like shit :( As mentioned before SWIM particularly dislikes (and most concerning) the effects on blood-pressure/heart-rate, two things people probably shouldn't mess around with.

Bottom line... Potentially very dangerous stuff...

After extensive experience (15+ inhalers) in a short time he has no desire to repeat any experiences. Far too taxing on physical health and simply not worth the short lived "high" and accompanying long lasting hangover.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  5. Erytheia

Erytheia Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Okay, given tlhat SWIY's post is relating to "dusters", oh gawd yes. SWIM isn't sure about petty but dusters (as with all solvents) are horrendously dangerous.

In reference to the OP, dusters have a similar high to "propellant" (the mix of inhalants used in aerosols), a bit more euphoric and sociable than petrol (very dark and dirty.. came with a bit of paranoia but then a friend of SWIY's was suggesting she might explode if she smoked a cigarette.... wanker! ><) and a lot dirtier than pure butane which came with a very euphoric and hallucinogenic rush for, say... 5 minutes.

Anyway, dusters are potentially lethal and only moderately recreational. In all seriousness, it ain't worth it!

Diph.: not touched, though tropane alkaloids (which are virtually identical) are dirty and masochistic.

Epinephrine; filthy, dirty, "more-ish" crap, which made SWIM take over 20g of paracetamol in one evening! >< Not a good idea... it had all the addictive-quality of meth, without the rush...

Nutmeg: SWIM only enjoyed nutmeg as a means of self-flagellation. There is a dosage-range of roughly 1g which would equate to recreational. Lower is non-existant, higher is miserable-overdose-effects! SWIM had a bit of "fun" for a few years but not recommended.

LSA-containing seeds: Interesting... SWIM took a tiny dose of morning glory ontop of SSRIs... baaad plan. She experienced a 10 hour LSD-experience with a substantial level of body-load... on a minute dose of seeds. If one enjoys LSD and is not taking SSRIs or SNRIs then, by all means, one will love it.

Poppy seeds: Is SWIY really suicidal?! Seeds are horrendously variable in alkaloid levels...

Nitrous: Giggles! Hell, think hard though, inhalants are always worth considering seriously...

Duster: As above... and the rest. SWIM had one hell of a time on inhalants for a few years, but she dodged a bullet (in that she didn't kill herself!). Really, think hard hun.

6. Flying Mind

Reputation Points:
    Yes very good point. Screw the seeds. SWIM feels the need to emphasize SWIY's point.

A family created a website dedicated to their lost son who died making a seed tea.

As mentioned the problem is with dosage unpredictable alkaloid content. Search something like "poppy seed tea death" via google if interested in the family's story of how they lost their son.

7. NeuroChi

NeuroChi is not his mind Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    What is a duster?

On an international forum, we get members from across the globe and many are unfamiliar with slang.

8. Flying Mind

Reputation Points:

Here is best explanation SWIM could find. Different companies use different stuff.

9. themidnighttoker

themidnighttoker

Reputation Points:
    Like the source ubeRAGEous mentioned, it is a chemical similar to but far more dangerous than Nitrous Oxide present in pressurized keyboard-cleaners. SWIM has inhaled it before (like an idiot, before researching it), and of course it was fun to do. It lasted only a few seconds though, so SWIM can understand why some people would want to do it repetitively.

However, the gas inside the canister is pressurized and super-cooled. When it is inhaled, apparently what happens is it quickly expands inside the body and slows/blocks bloodflow to the brain. This is essentially what causes the "high." This can and has killed people so SWIM strongly disapproves of this be done recreationally.

A 10-second high isn't worth anyone's life.

10. zeno

zeno

Reputation Points:
    SWIM wants to puke whenever exposed to any menthol containing OTC elixir and is too lazy to extract pure DXM (strange that the bitterness of pills is not all that bad to SWIM). A sea monkey could not mask the taste of the poppy brew no matter what chaser, sweetner, or sour added so this was discarded - what was consumed caused zero effect. Dimenhydrinate caused insane hallucinations - Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter II were battling it out throughout the city for about 6 hours. Interesting but did not find any euphoric value other than bizarre sights. Not to mention the nasty chemical feeling hang-over the following day.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  11. Erumelithil

Erumelithil

Reputation Points:
    ??? I always thought the nutmeg thing was an urban myth, like the banana skin one.
    How is nutmeg administered? Orally or smoked or what?

12. Flying Mind

Reputation Points:

Here this should help SWIY understand.

nutmeg_article1.shtml

Detailed article all about it.

13. Erumelithil

Erumelithil

Reputation Points:
    Wow, that was a real surprise. I genuinely always dismissed any rumours I heard about a nutmeg high as being urban myth.
    Looks interesting, but not something to be tried on a whim considering that baseline doesn't return for over 24 hours.
    SWIM will certainly have to try it sooner rather than later though, just so he can tell his friends!

Is using the SWIM acronym a bit excessive when speaking about nutmeg? SWIM thinks it is.

14. Burgersoft777

Burgersoft777 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Swim recalls that Violets and purple used to really stand out on Nutmeg, but the effects on his-her stomach prohibited it frequent use. Swim also used to smoke cloves and certainly got an effect from them, Swim quickly knocked that on the head as it was clearly very bad for his-her lungs.

15. gmeziscool2354

gmeziscool2354 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Otc highs: swims preference to dealing with dealers who know less about there products than swim did at age 15. Tried em all and here the low down.
    Dxm is a potentially great high that can easily be obtained and is relitively safe. Some dont like it. Swim does, but doesnt do it anymore due to his backing away from drugs of that intensity

poppy seeds. Swim long time fav. Pm mr for tek on how to make tea. This is far less safe than dxm because the alkaloid content is unknown. Many users (especially those who dont have acess to much) prefer this to pharmaceuticals based on pice and ease to obtain

n2o another great high... If one has self control. One whipit feels great but 60 whipits later most are not feeling so hot. The hangover from a massive n2o binge can last a log time too. Funny since the drug last secconds

lsa seeds. Great high, horrible taste and side effects. Many find its not worth the effort. Swim enjoys it but hasnt used itin years

nutmeg. Decent buzz but taste like ass and lasts for ever. Has some familiar effects and some bizzare ones. Worth atleast 1 shot before you call it quits on drugs

inhalebts. Dont do it unless they are reagent or labratory grade. Most shit feom the hardware store is to impure. Swim prefers chloroform, toulene, and ether althou doest reccoment these to anyone

ephedrine. Terribke for getting high great for medicine. Take as directed and you will mosy def feel good, assuming you have cold like symptoms

propylhexedrine. Some like it some dont, usually those wjo say the peripheral effects are too strong are taking too much. Start with a half or a 3rd of an inhaler and work up. Used to be swims fav upper but its gotten too expensive and uncommon rounf his parts.

Anti-histamines. (dipehnhydramine, loratidine ect) some like this drug for the 'trip'. Swim isnt one of them. He finds them only recreational when taken as directed on opiates or kratom to relieve itches. Rumor has it that this works with dxm too

there are a few others but in general if they wotk they fall into antoher category like ethobotanicals or research chems

16. Potter

Potter Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    SamuraiGecko discusses massive issues with the PST kills site, such as the fact that the kid was on a number of sedative prescriptions, take a look at the coroner's report from that site and it becomes rather clear the OD was purposeful.

Frankly PST is delightful, if a bit sickening and not TERRIBLY potent, and is quite good as far as easily obtainable drugs go.

DXM isn't for everyone, but for those who like it, they REALLY LIKE it. It has far more potential and use then many give it credit for.

LSA - Good for sitting, not so much for adventure, though an afternoon in the sun can be greatly enhanced with a little LSA. experimenting with admixtures can be very benefiscial in countering the side effects, Caffeine and Ginger are perfect to mix in to a gelcap.

Anti-histamines Way to toxic, too many side effect, experiences are rarely remembered.

Inhalants and solvents - Just plain stupid

17. dyingtomorrow

dyingtomorrow R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    SWIM has had drastically different experiences with Propylhexedrine / Benedrex. In SWIM opinion it is by far the best OTC drug out there. SWIM likens it to the end half of an ecstasy trip.

Extraction is very important though otherwise the body load is heavy. All it takes is some lemon juice and lighter fluid, it's not that hard.

Anyways, great OTC drug. Definitely a step above DXM.

18. gmeziscool2354

gmeziscool2354 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    A side note on the poppy sead tea death site.

First as pointed out, he was on sedatives (benzodiazepines) which are known to lower OD threshold when combined with other drugs
    he was using 3.5 lbs which is a massive dose for anyone but especially for a 17 y/o kid. He had done this before and his parents were aware of it, they must have seen him get super trasyed off this stuff. When he passed out they probably didnt think anything of it till it was too late.

As to ppx, this is only from limited experience, it seems that a low dose is suficient but upping the dose decreases the positive effects. It shortens the high, lengthens the comedown and increases the side effects without adding hardly any euphoria

19. boinghd

boinghd Newbie

Reputation Points:
    woah. that sounds cool. the same hallucination was going on for six hours?

boinghd added 3 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Swim has only ever hallucinated on 400mg diphen once when he saw a tiger morph into a penguin and then a cat; all while he was walking in the street. Can swiy reccomend a threshold dose for someone of 160 pounds (considering a mid to high tolerance)?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  20. Machiavellian

Machiavellian Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    My experiences with diphenhydramine (Benadryl) come from daily use of recommended doses of between 50-100mg for insomnia. Long story short I have been an insomniac since childhood an have seen several doctors concerning my problems sleeping. Because of my age every doctor I saw was hesitant to prescribe me benzos or z-drugs for my insomnia but rather instructed me to use diphenhydramine a couple of hours before bed every night. This worked pretty well (minus the hangover effects I often felt). But fast forward nearly 2 years of daily use and I begin having complications with my urinary system; I don't want to go into too much detail to spare you but needless to say a very painful and traumatic experience. After seeing a urologist he determined I had a series of kidney stones (keep in mind I am still in my teenage years) and possibly other complications. I'm still going through the process, I have a CT scan of my urinary tract next week. Finally after all these years I find out from the urologist that DPH has side effects causing urinary problems as well as sometimes enlarging the prostate! Needless to say I have stopped my DPH use and several of my symptoms have disappeared but some are still lingering. Be careful when using OTC drugs - just because they are legal doesn't mean they are any safer than illicit drugs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012