Vintage Morphine ampoules redy for IV?

Discussion in 'Morphine' started by Comodo, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Comodo

Comodo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from earth
    Hi, just an hour ago SWIM acquired 10 ampoules of morphine hydrochloride. Each ampoule contains 20mg of morphine in 1ml liquid. The tricky part is that the ampoules are labeled to be manufactured in 1961. Now I know that morphine can last for years, but that`s almost 50 years !! Is there anything to go wrong and the contains of the ampoules to be toxic ? /the liquid is light brown, butt that can be the way is made in the first place/
    Also I am considering a IV injections but 20mg for an opiates virgin seems a bit too much, right ? Is there another way to consume it ? Maybe simply drink one ampoule diluted in water?
    Appreciate any feedback

2. Pinkavvy

Pinkavvy Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What kind of liquid is it suspended? Swip would think the ampoule would be more of a collection type item. Swip definately wouldn't use it.

3. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I would inject it,try 5-10mg,i dont think it would hurt you because it was sterile when it was sealed and should still be sterile,but also pinkavvy is rght thats a deff cool colectors item.

4. Benga

Benga Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from japan
    wouldn't evaporating / re-crystalizing the solution be a good way to check the product potency first?

5. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    Morphine is supplied as a sulfate. A hydrochloride is scarey by itself. Morphine solutions turn brown, though this doesn't diminish the potency.

Back in the 1970's, I knew some people who found some 1940's surettes (injectable battlefield morphine packages) from WWII. They shot 'em. They worked. But they belonged in a museum - not in an arm or leg. Not advisable.

6. csharpprogrammer

csharpprogrammer Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I would shoot all 20mg quickly in his vain to feel a nice morphine rush.

7. fnord

fnord Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    I would too but hes a newbi to opiates so 10 is enough to do at once,if he feels up to it he can then do more but 5-10 is fine

8. Thanatos

Thanatos Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from antigua_and_barbuda
    A very nice find indeed .. You mentioned color is light brown .. darkening of solutions indicate degradation, i.e. darker = more degradation. Degradation depends on pH and presence of oxygen; relatively stable in pH [​IMG] 4 All Morphine injectionable solutions should be stored at room temperature, and protected from light; potentially can be viable for many years as swia mentioned, but under controlled conditions.

1. 4/5,
      Adding positively to discusion
      Apr 19, 2007