Vision problems from too much smoking?

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by 2ill4brasil, Mar 1, 2006.

1. 2ill4brasil

2ill4brasil Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    Could smoking too much and too often cause vision problems? Because I'm starting to think it's happening to me.

I started smoking marijuana almost daily about a year ago, before that I had only smoked a couple times, and I still do. My health is fine, my lungs take somewhat of a toll but I exercise a lot so they're still in great shape. My short-term memory is pretty shitty, especially after long, huge sessions, but I recover that within a few day's break.
    I've always had perfect vision, but since last year my vision has started getting worse. At first it was just sorta hard to see what was on the board from the furthest seat (in a huge lecture hall) during class, that was around April or May of last year. Now I always have to sit at the front or else I can't see shit, the writing is a complete blur from the back. I have a hard time distinguishing faces as people are walking towards me.
    After a huge night of smoking my vision gets blurred pretty badly. The next day my vision is sorta bad, and then after a few days it gets better. That's how it was last year, and my vision would come back to normal after a day or 2. This year, if I have a huge night of blazing, my vision will get jacked, and the next day it'll still be almost as bad as the previous night, and it will slowly get back to the shitty state that my vision as at now.
    I've cut back for about a week now (last time was a week ago from today) and my vision hasn't really improved, maybe a tiny bit. COULD it be that smoking fucked up my vision?
    Of course you could just say that it's about that time when my vision is starting to get fucked, and it just happened to coincide with smoking. Has anyone else ever heard of this or had any similar problems? I've developed a few high theories as to how this could've happenened, THC levels within the brain, circulation effects of smoking, etc, but I don't have enough knowledge to make a good hypothesis.

I'm 19, my dad never wore glasses, my mom had slight vision problems but she got over them, my sister is 14 and wears glasses, her vision is probably as bad as mine. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Motorhead

Motorhead Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Canada
    This little tid bit is from the vaults of erowid

So the debate turns to whether smoking joints can do a body good:

In treating glaucoma -- considered one of the most promising applications of the drug -- the case remains unproven. Glaucoma involves damage to the optic nerve, often from too much fluid pressure in the eye. It can blind people. Repeated studies demonstrate convincingly that marijuana protects vision by lowering that fluid pressure.

Yet the Glaucoma Research Foundation ``does not advocate the use of marijuana (because) there are no conclusive studies to date that indicate marijuana (or its components) safely and effectively lowers intraocular pressure enough to prevent optic nerve damage.''

The group also calls marijuana a poor alternative because glaucoma is a chronic disease that requires ongoing, long-term treatment. Pot also may damage vision by decreasing blood circulation to the optic nerve.

And this is from 99 but looks interesting:http://www.cannabis.net/articles/index.html

[SIZE=-1]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2017
  3. Solidly-here

Solidly-here Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    "If you Masturbate, you will go Blind." ... Oh, can I do it until I need glasses?

Well, Too-Ill, if heavy Pot smoking caused Vision problems, the entire World would know it. The anti-Drug forces would cheer, and President Dubya would announce it during his State of the Union address every year.

There are many people who smoke a half-ounce of Pot a day (or more), and have been smoking it for years. (This is probably MORE than you smoke.) If there was going to be a problem, these people would have it.

Why is it, that everyone thinks any, little thing that happens to him is a reaction to Drugs?

Truly, if you are worried, visit an eye-doctor. Spend $50 for your peace of mind. (If not, then at least try-on your sister's glasses, and see if they make your vision better.)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2006
  4. 2ill4brasil

2ill4brasil Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    good article motorhead, thanks

Well obviously marijuana doesn't cause vision problems straight up like that, that's why I'm asking on a forum, because I've never met anyone who's had vision problems from marijuana. But why, then, would I think that smoking damaged my vision? Well I stated my case in my first post, but to re-emphasize, my 2 main points are that
    -When I smoke large quantities my vision becomes blurred. Mainly, my eyes take a long time to focus. This is obviously because of marijuana because it happens when I smoke, and at no other times. If I were to drink a lot, my vision would be affected in a different way.
    -The day after smoking a lot my vision is still sort of bad, then it recovers over the following few days. I can't find another explanation as to why this would happen.
    My vision has gotten worse since i started smoking heavily, but like I said, it could just be a vision problem which coincided with when that period of time.
    People do smoke half an ounce of weed a day. You can probably also assume that those people will ignore any problems that they might encounter with their health along their blazing ways; if they do have any problems they will have the same thought process as you and assume it's from something else. Of course, most of the time it will probably be from something else, but there are exceptions to everything. I'm not saying marijuana causes vision problems, nor am I asking that. If I did ask that it was mainly to get people to read this boring thread and comment on it. I'm saying that I think there's a possibility that marijuana could speed up vision loss in specific conditions such as mine.
    What I really need is someone who knows specific things about vision and how the eyes work, and put everything together, that's why I posted.
    What I imagine is that the shitty vision is due largely to lessened circulation aroudn the eyes, just because marijuana decreases circulation throughout the body, and blood supplies nutrients, so I'm thinking maybe the eyes don't have what they need to function properly. And continuing on what motorhead said about decreased circulation in the optic nerve, I'm assuming I have a good chance of being right on this particular idea. Then I asked the question, if this is done enough times, could it cause permanent vision damage?
    So I guess the main question here is how big of a role does circulation around the optic nerve play in human eyesight?

Another idea I had: since going to college I have spent a lot of time in front of my laptop, writing shit, surfing, forums, online, whatever. Most people have a bad habit of doing everything closely as well, like watching TV and such. This damages eyesight. If this is the case, then perhaps by decreasing circulation aroudn the eyes they can't recover from the stress put on them as well. Of course I have no idea whether any physical damage is done to the eyes or not in this form.

So ultimately in my case, after writing most of my thoughts down, I think that I am prone to being nearsighted genetically, I sped up the process with bad habits such as staring at a monitor for too long, and marijuana sped up this process as well by fucking up my circulation.

Any comments?

5. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    ok, THC help reduce the swelling of the eye in Glucoma cases so it stands to reason that it could reduce the size of the eye in normal people (SWIM reasoned that this was why his eyes felt not so much sore but had that tired feeling). But THC is not a long lasting substance (though it does stay in the body for upto 3 months or so) that would permanently alter the size of the eye (that would possibly be a medical breakthrough). But if youre smoking alot then you could quite easily have distorted vision just by being high.
    My guess is you need an eye test and probably glasses. Though bad habits might help your nearsighted ness develop it wouldnt be a quick change, youve probably been developing this condition regardless.
    Also remember, weed makes you paranoid and you end up blaming the least little ailment on your large consumption when this is not really the case (unless you have some lung problem of course)
    So get your eyes tested :)

6. Roll_Light_Smoke

Roll_Light_Smoke Newbie

Reputation Points:
    i find my vision definately improves when I am lean.

7. Sickman

Sickman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    My eyes went a little south when I first entered college. It's unlikely MJ has hurt the problem but I suppose you never know. I doubt it though.

Schedule an eye doctor appointment and take a break from smoking for a week before you have it. You probably do need glasses. I know you aren't supposed to lie to your doctors, but I would probably not reveal my cannabis usage to him, certainly not on the first visit.

8. 2ill4brasil

2ill4brasil Newbie

Reputation Points:
    32 y/o
    yea good reasoning, it was cool to ponder upon the idea
    i guess i do need glasses after all :(

9. Rivet_Head

Rivet_Head Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    It's not so bad...

*stares creepily with giant circular-lensed thick-framed glasses*