Vivid dreams from valerian

Discussion in 'Ethnobotanicals' started by Abrad, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    I have been taking valerian the past couple of nights and has been having very vivid and memorable dreams. Has anybody else noted this effect or is it just SWIM?

2. old hippie 56

old hippie 56 Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I took that before, he thought the dreams was ok for the first few times, but then they keep on getting stranger and stranger. So he stopped.

3. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I takes valerian (with hops) regularily. He does have very vivid dreams but he has them all the time, regardless.

4. Hyperreal

Hyperreal Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I've noticed that effect too.

5. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    have the people getting lucid dreams from valerian had these vivid dreams before, when they were not taking anything? every time I have taken valerian, he hasnt gotten any vivid dreams...and in fact doesnt really even get sleepy. I do however get the occasional sleep paralysis episode, maybe that and his lack of vivid dreams are somehow related. he is envious of those who can get an effect from what seems like an interesting plant.

6. Hyperreal

Hyperreal Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    forthesevenlakes, try B-vitamins and choline before bed if valerian isn't doing the trick. And there's always calea zacatechichi.

1. 4/5,
      nice suggestions!
      Jul 13, 2006
  7. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    excellent suggestions. thank you! I will do that presently, and maybe give the valerian another shot since he's currently riding out some insomnia.

8. IHrtHalucingens

IHrtHalucingens Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    31 y/o
    How much valerian does SWIM take for these effects?

I have these formula 303 pills containing 264 mg of valerian, 132 mg of passion flower, and 65 mg of magnesium. The bottle says to take 2 at each meal and 2 before bed, I have taken 4 at each meal and 4 before bed with no effects.

Are these pills just not strong enough, should SWIM get whole valerian root? Any ideas would be appreciated as I have had great problems with sleeping for the past 3 days.

9. enquirewithin

enquirewithin Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    I'm not sure whether or not valerian gives vivid dreams or not, as he always has vivid dreams. For SWIM it's certainly mildly psychoactive, but very mildly. SWIM usually takes about 1000 mg , with some hops added (a proprietry blend), which relaxes him and helps him sleep. Valerian only encorages sleep-- if you are wired it doesn't work, but destresses you slightly. I like it greatly.

10. ironhorse

ironhorse Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Iowa, U.S.A.
    Vivid dreams
    If you want something to produce vivid realistic dreams try morrel mushrooms
    You dont eat them though. Hang them on a string over your bed and let them dry.It will take a few days but when they dry out they release spores that you breath in while sleeping .You will definetly be able to tell when they release their spores . It produces the most vivid realistic dreams you can imagine for about 2 weeks. I probably had 20 mushrooms on a sting over my bed .The first week all my dreams were fantastic it got to the point that I couldn't wait to go to bed at night they were so great. Then it happened the night mares are just as vivid and realistic as the good dreams. I woke up about 3 am out of breath and drenched with sweat and freaked out .I ripped them all down immediately and still had trouble going back to sleep. I still hang them every year but those night mares are scary thrillers when you have one

11. Len30

Len30 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    45 y/o from Australia
    I took five 450MG capsules of valerian root extract then went for a shower, and took two more capsules once I was finished with my shower. I says the dreams are very full of detail, I dreamt of some strange things that I would have not of dreamt before.

12. opiatebattler

opiatebattler Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Australia
    I take 4000mg (2×2000mg capsules) of Valerian Root every night.

Ive not had any strange dreams I can attribute to the Valerian. Ive actually found my recurring nightmares have lessened since starting Valerian.

I know other people have vivid dreams on Valerian...google 'weird dreams on valerian'... lots of info came up when I did.

13. FrankTheBunny

FrankTheBunny Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've been taking Valerian for the last few weeks, my dreams are more memorable, but they haven't changed from before I began taking Valerian. They've always been very weird, scary, and different, Valerian just made them more memorable for me. I can remember them better when I wake up.

14. Alien Sex Fiend

Alien Sex Fiend Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    here i have vivid drims after drinking beer before sleep and no dreams at all after smoking cannabis. ive taken valerian on numeral occasions and i never experienced any vivd dreams....