1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Side effects - vomiting with kratom

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by rhodeye, Sep 2, 2011.

1. rhodeye

rhodeye

Reputation Points:
    Hello, is it unusual to have trouble with vomiting when you drink about 1 rounded teaspoon mixed with cool water(not heated in a tea).Swim has been having this trouble fairly often.Swim is worried there might be lead or something in the powder.Thank you

2. postimmortal

postimmortal Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    What kind/type of kratom does swim use? Nausea and vomiting are a common side effect of kratom, but it shouldn't be a problem if the dosage is right. You say swim has been having this problem often.. How long has swim used kratom? Did this just recently start, or has it been a problem in the past?

3. alienesseINspace

alienesseINspace

Reputation Points:
    I have taken as much as 6 grams at one time without getting ill. I wouldn't take it on an empty stomach though. If you get your kratom at a reputable source, it probably doesn't contain lead.

In reply to the reputation comment, I have never heard of kratom containing lead. I was discussing rhodeye's comment. To clarify, if you buy kratom from a reputable source, it should not contain anything other than kratom.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  4. TSBl0l

TSBl0l

Reputation Points:

First, you say "as much as 6 grams" as if that is a hefty dose...which it is not. The OP said he/she took a rounded teaspoon, which is anywhere from 3-4g (usually). You should not get negative side effects to the extent of vomiting from that small of a dose, instead I might just think your stomach can't handle the plant material or you just have a sensitive stomach.

Second, don't listen to alienesseINspace, Kratom SHOULD be taken on an empty stomach if you want to get full effects and not waste the kratom you purchased. But like I mentioned before, your stomach may be sensitive to kratom so I suggest looking into the various recipes for Kratom tea that can be found on this board. This will allow you to get the benefits of Kratom without having to ingest the leaf. But just like ingesting the leaf, you should drink the tea on an empty stomach.

5. alienesseINspace

alienesseINspace

Reputation Points:
    If someone cannot keep the plant matter down, food is a good anchor... opiates and opioids are hard on the stomach for a lot of people. I've taken kratom on an empty stomach and have almost thrown up. It is not pleasant. If I compromise some of the plant's effects with food, that is okay with me. Being sick defeats the purpose.

6. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    A lot of people get sick after taking Kratom, its nothing to worry about and it is not an indication that your Kratom is contaminated.
    I have no idea why out of any possible contaminent you chose lead? Is this something that has been seen before?

Some people have sensitive stomachs, some people just find Kratom to be nauseating. Not everone can stomach several grams of dried plant material, espicially if they are not used to eating anything similiar.

I go through stages where i have to rotate or completly change the way i take kratom because i get sick. I could stomach a tea made from many many grams but if i try to toss and wash more than a gram it comes straight back up. In my case its more down to thinking im going to get sick as soon as i feel the powder, and sometimes i get sick before its even in my mouth.

Maybe you should try a different method of taking kratom. Perhaps making a tea and straining out the plant material will help.
    If it is just the kratom in general then you might find the naseua can be reduced by using something like pepermint capsules or ginger.

Eating something before taking it might also help, it tends settle a lot better after a light meal.

ianzombie added 9 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

6 grams is a strong dose for most people new to kratom, espicially if they have no experience with opiates. Telling people it is not will lead to people taking more than they need to.

If you start of taking larger doses of kratom you soon find that you need more to get the same effects, its best to start with as little as possible. A lot of people find that with Kratom 'less is more' and while i used to think that was stupid i now totally agree.

Apart from being very rude it is also very presumptious.
    Most people i know that use Kratom do so for pain managment or because they are trying to taper from stronger drugs. In both cases most people are not taking kratom to catch a buzz, and if the OP is using kratom to help with pain then it is not necessary to eat it on an empty stomach.

I know a few cancer patients that use kratom and due to the medications and treatment they take they find it hard to stomach regular food let alone dried plant material.

Even if the op is using kratom recreationally then a suggestion that they eat a little before taking it so as to try and deal with the problem of getting sick is a good one.
    A weaker effect is far less wastefull than puking up all the kratom.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  7. rhodeye

rhodeye

Reputation Points:
    Thank you all for your answers.Swim has been been using it about 3 times a day for a few months now.A very light meal might help.Worth a try.

8. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Are you actually getting it down when you vomit or is this a reaction to the texture/taste of the mix (you trigger gag reflux when the mix hits the back of your throat)?

9. rhodeye

rhodeye

Reputation Points:
    yes,It goes all the way down.Most of the time i don't vomit .

10. DiabolicScheme

DiabolicScheme Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Unique to one batch? Constipated at all?

If this has only happened with one batch then you might want to get another one and set that off to the side to determine if it is only that batch that makes you throw up.

Severe constipation (which is particularly heavy from my experience) can cause you to vomit because you are "clogged up". Try clearing that out with an enema (mineral oil followed by saline enema works the best as the mineral oil can clear out fecal impaction).

Was it on a increase in dosage when this started to happen? Perhaps you've just reached your limit.

11. TSBl0l

TSBl0l

Reputation Points:
    You're right, and I didn't mean for it to come off that way. I should have worded it better.

I apologize.

12. Tech House

Tech House Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Yes, first time this very evening (hence looking here to see if others had nausea), couple hundred mg held under tongue for a while, 10 minutes later slight nausea like very mild sea-sickness. Many people experience nausea with even small amounts of codeine; of course codeine was replaced by the much easier-to-handle hydrocodone, thank goddess, but even then there are ppl who puke from it.

Y'all talk about really large amounts of everything consumed by the people you meet in church... Am thankful that my swami is so sensitive to things, makes a little go a long way.

13. greenwood

greenwood Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM has experienced this problem before also. For him, it was handled by taking an antihistimine first, waiting a short time, then taking the kratom mixed with lemonade. This was done on a mostly empty stomach, and followed immediately with a cracker or two.

Next begin sipping cola to keep the taste down. Tolerance has probably helped him too.

14. Zerix

Zerix Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Wow.. from 1 teaspoon, impossible... SWIY must take an antacid, and preferably be on a semi-empty stomach, a big mistake is consuming kratom on a hungry empty stomach!! And definitely mix in with juice since SWIY can't handle water (weird...) .. SWIM only experienced throwing up once... and that's when he took TOO much.

15. Tech House

Tech House Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Zerix, Swami wishes he had read your post before trying 2 tsp orally on an empty stomach last night. Horrible nausea combined with a great feeling; after the nausea wore off, it was a good experience for him, but he definitely won't try it again without having some food in the tummy.

16. JfromM

JfromM Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    scanned through the thread quickly, apologies if this has already been posted.

The main reason for nausea from kratom: high stem and vein content.

Contrary to what many are lead to believe, most kratom on the market is "whole grind" which includes ground up stem in vein (when buying powder). While whole ground does offer the most well rounded aroma, stem and vein IS responsible for the nausea associated with kratom. This doesn't happen to everyone, but to some it's awful. Ways to avoid this are to:

*purchase triple sifted kratom or what some call "sans stem and vein"

*purchase crushed leaf kratom, grind it yourself (most coffee grinders work fine, the krups brand in particular). After grinding, sift the powder through a fine sieve or some kind of mesh (a kief screen works well). If done correctly, you should end up with fine powder that's just leaf, and a pile of stem and vein, which can be ground up further to use on it's own (if you can stomach it)

Now, if you're sensitive to stem and vein stomach wise, throw out the stem and vein material, or send it to a friend that's not.

Not many people realize this, but stem and vein on it's own still offers great analgesic effects, and helps to lower tolerance if used by itself for a few days or more. It's also a great tool to use if and when tapering.

Regards :p

17. Jack Handy

Jack Handy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I found that when taking kratom on an empty stomach, it hits me too hard. Its very strong. AND the duration of the effects dont last very long. Taken with light food such as fruit, it can last longer and not hit you like a hammer and be overwhelming and unpleasant. After you start to feel it nicely, go ahead and eat some more food and it will be more pleasant. Ive never gotten sick from it so I dont know about that.

18. no eff eks

no eff eks Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    I always take kratom in capsules and that definitely makes it easier to get them down. Years ago I tried eating straight leaf/powder and washing it down - this ended with me puking from the texture alone. The caps solved that problem, tea also works well for avoiding this initial nausea.

It's important to remember that kratom is an opiate, and in high doses it's going to make you throw up. Back when I was doing oxymorphone a lot I would throw up almost on cue 30 minutes after dosing... then go back to feeling lovely.

Kratom is similar, although it takes a lot longer to hit you so the nausea is delayed. My usual dose is around 20g of powdered Thai leaf (please don't take that much unless you already know what to expect for your own safety)... around 2 hours in I usually start feeling the histamine side-effects and the nausea. Around half the time I end up throwing up a couple times at that point - by then the kratom has left my stomach for the most part, but my puke does taste like kratom which could be very unpleasant for some people. After getting whatever is left in my stomach up the nausea usually goes away. Overall I do enjoy the experience, and it is one of the last recreational drugs that I have yet to ban myself from using.

I simply consider nausea part of the game of abusing an opiate. Is it worth it? Well, that's for you to decide.

19. bill23138

bill23138 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I simply consider nausea part of the game of abusing an opiate. Is it worth it? Well, that's for you to decide.[/QUOTE]

i agree brosif but its just that kratom is imo the nastiest drug besides phenibut that swim have ever tried and alot of people throw up on kratom

20. lithilium

lithilium Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Try it on an empty stomach, or with a little meal 2 hours before.

SWIM never has a problem with his bali kratom. Never feels nausea. The only time I've puked is when I took 14 grams in an afternoon, then ate some greasy food. Very stupid of me. Maybe I'm just different, but the plant never nauseates me. Not even the taste when I drink the powder in water.