Health - Wanting to try LSD But Anxiety Disorder

Discussion in 'LSD' started by Lizardd, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Lizardd

Lizardd Newbie

Reputation Points:
    hello everybody.
    I have some concerns with Acid. I really want to try it but their are a few things that stop me. I need some help deciding.

I have problems with anxiety and ocd like things. Bad panic shit. But i was wonder how not to Freak my self out, and if its smart ( i thought of not sleeping for like 24 hours, taking a sleeping pill then doing acid, so that i slepp forl ike 24 hours or more and i just have REAL trippy dreams.. does that work?)

2. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Re: Wanting to try.. but...

First of all, you shouldn't be thinking about taking acid at all considering it's a controlled substance but you (Someone Who Isn't You) might be thinking of it.

It's impossible to whole-heartedly recommend LSD to an individual who suffers from anxiety. LSD can work as a catalyst for people with anxiety and they might easily get a panic attack. Tiring oneself out would only make things worse seeing as physical exhaustion can cause bad trips. Trippy dreams aren't likely either seeing as someone on acid usually can't sleep until peak effects wear off due to the hyperactivity of the thought process it causes. Sleeping pills should never be combined with LSD either.

3. zera

zera Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from Illinois, U.S.A.

Yeah sleeping pills (benzos) are actually used by people as a "parachute pill" to bring people down when they're having a bad trip. I doubt You will have trippy dreams with this combo, more than likely the effects will cancel each other out and you'll just be back to baseline minus whatever you paid for the hit of acid and the sleeping pill.

If you do manage to fall asleep while on acid the experience may not be pleasurable at all. Swim slept for about 6 hours on the tail end of a dose of DOB, a similar compound, and hardly remembered any of his dreams. On the peak of DXM, although not a psychedlic it's still a hallucinigen, I had a terrible experience sleeping on it, and swim very rarely has bad trips.

What happenned to swim when he was trying to sleep was that the peak of the trip kept waking him up and the grogginess of sleep made him very confused about what was going on, which only added to the anxiety of the trip. I had terrible thoughts and premonitions, and swim tends to be a very laid back person, if I had sufferred from panic attacks I can only imagine what he would have done.

Swim recommends that if You may want to try a shorter lasting psychedlic first if he hasn't, maybe shrooms. The reason why acid tends to cause anxiety is because once you take, man you're gone for the 12 hours, with shrooms You will have a much shorter trip and hence tend to be less anxious. Shrooms or mescaline (San Pedro or Peruvian Torch cactus) also tend to be a easier on the mind, and the user feels more in control . So You may want to start with them first and test their effects before trying LSD.

If You does decide to dose I'd do it in a setting where swiy's comfortable (at home, somewhere with no parents or authority figure) and only if You is feeling calm that day and his OCD doesn't feel too bad. Naganog gives some good advice, never having an absolute plan to dose with psychedlics, if You doesn't feel in the right mood then postpone. Also get a sitter, but make sure it's someone who won't freak out, because his freaking out will freak You out (anti-drug people tend to make bad sitters). If You starts getting bad make sure the sitter knows to talk You down and remind him things will be over soon. Marijuana may either calm your nerves or enchance the experience and make you more paranoid, depending on it's effect on swiy.

4. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland

Anxious thoughts don't seem to become an issue on relatively low doses. One must tread carefully in order to understand what kind of dose suits them. A decent way of doing this would be to take a very small threshold amount on you's first occasion. If this is satisfactory, a slightly larger dose can be taken the next time. Experience and building up a good idea of how the drug works is an effective way of controlling more intense trips. One should be free of anxiety before undertaking a trip even if they long for the experience very much. I couldn't recommend taking LSD to someone in you's situation to be perfectly honest.

5. Powder_Reality

Powder_Reality Gold Member

Reputation Points:

SWIM also suffers from OCD and anxiety. I have never done LSD before, but he does have some experience with mushrooms, both positive and negative.

You should make sure that they don't have anything important or negative on their mind before dosing (bad break-up, health problems, etc.) as You may get into a negative thought loop (especially if You has OCD). They should go into the experience free of any commitments or responsibilites for the day. This can sometimes mean the difference between a good and bad trip.

I would also recommend reading up like crazy on all the effects of the substance so that they don't get too freaked out by them and know what to expect. I had abad experience the first time he ate a large amount of mushrooms because he wasn't expecting or prepared for the effects, especially the mental effects.

Lastly, I would recommend that You should start out with a small dose instead of diving right in with a larger dose. Personally, SWIM enjoys a smaller dose much more than a larger dose. Eating 1 to 2 grams of dried mushrooms gives SWIM a very pleasant experience including euphoria, slight visual distortions, deep thinking, an increased appreciation of music, a pleasant body high, etc etc etc. Eating 3.5+ grams can send SWIM into a terrible trip including negative thought loops, paranoia, panic attacks, etc etc etc. Keep in mind that 3.5 grams is a not really a huge dose, and some people enjoy eating much more than this and have a great time. SWIM personally could not even imagine how terrible he would feel on a dose larger than 3.5 grams. You needs to know what their body and mind can handle.

6. Riptone

Riptone Newbie

Reputation Points:

That person should trip if they choose to do so, if it becomes too intense then let them know that to pop a xanax or drink some gbl will help relieve the anxiety.

It won't affect the duration but will take off the worst of the intensity.

Swim told me . . .

7. Regretamine

Regretamine Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Re: Wanting to try LSD but...

Swim also suffers from ALOT of anxiety, but he has done acid 3 times now and they've been among the best drug experiances of his life. Swim thinks the reason for this though is that they've all been when he was around close friends only. There were parts in the trip where he was around alot of people who wern't very familar, and he was ok but was starting to feel a bit anxious. But then he and his friends left and everything was fine. So yeah just make sure you're with people you know/like/can have a laugh with and you'll be fine.

8. MrG

MrG Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from earth

I remember his 'cid days with fondness but he also recalls three times that he had bad trips. And trust me, 12 hours of a bad trip is an absolute fucking nightmare. All three times were because he was somewhere he wasn't entirely comfortable *and* the type of 'cid consumed was the same (Purple Om's - very heady).

SWIM's with Nature Boy on this one. If You really can't put off experimenting until he is past the anxiety stage then he really should ensure the following:

1. Take a smaller dose (1/3 of a tab - it may seem tiny but it can pack one fuck of a punch) - You can save the rest for later in the trip or another time, there is no hurry.
    2. Make sure You is somewhere comfortable and can stay there with people who make him feel comfortable for the entire duration
    3. Make sure you's buddies will let him go lie down curled up in a ball in peace and quiet if things get too much for him. (Nothing worse than mates who constantly bug You with "you ok dude?" every other fucking minute!)

Saying that, 'cid never seemed to negatively affect those types of people who have no problem with unplugging themselves completely. SWIM can *never* let himself lose total control of the situation and he found himself fighting against the trip. He lost.

Still, he soon got over it and eventually figured out the play safe rules and had some grrrrrreat fucking times with it!

9. machine_elf

machine_elf Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.

All cases are different and I amn't condoning the use of a controlled substance BUT I has had innumerable benefits from the consumption of psychedelics including greatly reduced anxiety and the obliteration of OCD. However, there is still chanced that the use of psychoactives could complicate massters so if you do lsd, stick to a small dose first to stay safe.

10. Henfer

Henfer Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    41 y/o

just don't forget.. acid can release an underlying psychic disorder, which could be the cause of your anxiety...

however, acid could be extremely helpful on the other hand, to ease your anxiety in general and show you beautiful aspects of yourself.... that would be best with good set&setting and professional assistance - but at least the last is not possible in our world...

be fond of yourself, be in a comfortable room... don't go out! going outside can be beautiful and is if you are free of anxiety, but can strengthen it due to paranoia (police... other people.. the wideness of the world you're experiencing), but is not the particulary best idea if you're tripping and anxient.

if you want to be alone, have at least someone know what you're doing, best would be having someone ready to help you out and give you support if you flip out. have some benzo's around, they can help to relief you of bad feelings (but can also "dumb" the experience) and a bad trip - however this is not an automatical thing. if you're together with someone, be aware that other persons will look dramatically different and potentially frightening to you, and behave not logical to you (actually, you won't behave logically to them, but it's all a point-of-view-thing). this can be frightening.

don't force yourself into anything during a trip. don't try to force away bad things, accept them as they're coming and they'll eventually loose a lot of their frightening appearance and can even turn out positive.

make yourself clear that nothing you will experience will be real in the usual sense - and that everything you see is just intensified and to a certain degree a creation of YOUR mind. nothing of this can hurt you really, and it WILL go away after several hours - so you can just as well enjoy it.

don't delude yourself, you WILL be in a state of insanity, technically seen, but this is not necessarily something bad as it is induced by yourself and WILL go away after a certain time.

hold the next day free, so you won't be frightened if the trip is taking longer, especially if you have to do something important the next day and the trip just won't end and you want to force it away - this can also lead to unhappiness and therefore to bad feelings, as everything including your feelings and thinking, will be greatly intensified beyond anything you've experienced yet.

and, last but not least... do it at your own will, on the time you want to do it, and have time to do it, and because you want it really and feel prepaired - a bit of anxienty is something I think everyone had before their first trip.

hope this is helpful to you and most important is really to not do it if you don't want it and are afraid of it much. at least, you're facing your own self, and that can lead to fear or to deep insights. it's your choice!

11. kareena

kareena Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Anxiety-Prone: Avoid LSD?

I have wanted to try acid for a long time but is very concerned. SWIM suffers from anxiety in certain social situations- SWIM supposes you could tag SWIM with the whole social anxiety tag (a nasty thing I will tell ya). Absolutley no psychosis though.

Anyway, dropping acid seems like a ridiculous idea for SWIM yeah? Just wondering. (BTW no 'yeah go and do it' is just gonna make SWIM drop so dont worry about responses making SWIM gung-ho, just wants to hear others opinions.)

It gets worse. I dont even enjoy maryjane anymore as it makes me too anxious.

I have heard so many excellent reports from friends and it sounds amazing if all goes well. I even imagines a good trip could sort the psyche out quite nicely. I understand a bad trip could fuck SWIM right up.

So what do you reckon? A big no-no?

n.b. I have used virtually all other drugs including other psychedelics such as shrooms generally with good results

Thanks

12. Nahbus

Nahbus Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Re: Anxiety-Prone: Avoid Acid?

Well, I have pretty severe social anxiety, and is even prone to minor bouts of psychosis (along with, what doctors tell him, bipolar disorder)
    Most of it comes and goes, though.
    Anyway, he has no problem taking LSD (never has had a bad trip, and has eatten mushrooms and taken LSD, DMT, Salvia, and I'm sure DOx RC's.
    He always makes sure, though, that his environment is absolutely to his utmost comfort zone.
    There have been times, yes, that something would go not as planned, like maybe many people showing up, or having to talk to his landlord, etc that makes the trip difficult for a little bit, but if you're an intelligent person and know your mind, and a lot about the drug itself then you can usually get out of it.
    I have witnessed people going into bad trips and it seems that usually it could have easily been avoided taken certain precautions (most of the bad trips he's seenwere inexperienced users just looking to get effed up).

Know what you're getting into, maybe try a hit at most for your first time with a very close friend or two, making sure you feel very comfortable and not stressed out. Don't go taking it if you're stessing about school or work or other social situations. It has to be the day where you wake up and smile, look outside, it's a beautiful day, and you just know it's 'the day'.

Just don't be a knucklehead with it, I'm sure You knows his social abilities and comfort zones, so just make sure everything is well and I think everything will be fine. You can even use it to try and get to the root of those problems, but that's another thread entirely.

Be safe, have fun :)

13. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands

What does You expect to get out of it? Just fun? If so, then think about this. LSD is not just fun. The experience will touch you's issues and give You the opportunity to make things better or worse.
    After reading the first part of your post, I had a strong urge to advise not to do it, but reading that You has enjoyed many psychedelics including magic mushrooms made SWIM doubt about this. It may be a good idea, but AFOAF is not certain about this. If You wants to dream about taking LSD then a trusted and experienced sitter or at least having a guide present is VERY advisable.
    Consider that the experience of LSD is much longer than magic mushrooms. After the trip sleep may not be possible for some time. AFAOF has dreamed of staring at the ceiling (with or without eyes closed) for many hours while trying to sleep after a LSD session.

Some thoughts handed to me sometime:
    Also the LSD experience may feel much edgier than magic mushrooms. Although AFOAF enjoyed this a lot, I know that many do not.

AFAOF has seen many people improve anxiety problems while facing them in a guided trip. On the other hand this has also proven to be a way to seriously freak out others.

14. tk421

tk421 Newbie

Reputation Points:

I have suffered from severe anxiety and panic attacks for most of his life.

He advises that a anxious would-be psychonaut take 1-2 milligrams of Klonopin with the acid. You probably won't even need it, but it certainly won't hurt. I find that benzos are great at countering the stimulant-like aspects of acid, too. Keep a couple extra k-pins around for later, just in case.

Pay attention to the setting and people You will be tripping with.
    Never in a million years should You take a trip in a group of strangers, or with the kind of "friends" who would find it funny to fuck with someone's head.

15. JDreaming

JDreaming R.I.P. Gold Member R.I.P.

Reputation Points:

If You has social anxiety but really wants to do LSD anyway, make sure You does it in a quiet, peaceful area without a lot of people or sudden movement... maybe a trip sitter in a natural setting and nothing else. But if You isn't sure whether a trip on a particular substance might go well or not, You might want to just hold off on it. Going into a trip experience unsure if it will really go well creates a setting where bad trips are a distinct possibility. Best not to do a powerful hallucinogen until You is really positive it's something You needs in his life.

Up to you though, it's your life... good luck, and play safe.

16. kareena

kareena Newbie

Reputation Points:

SWIM thanks all for their advice. SWIM completely understands the importance of set and setting and would pay much attention to this. Having some benzos at hand is also something I would do, just in case. In my previous psychedelic experiences they have paid attention to set and setting but as any psychedelic user knows shit happens- maybe 10% of my shroom trips have been abruptly interupted by a drunken group of knuckleheads which has not gone down well- in fact, it has been very disturbing, but swift recoveries have been made. I will wait until the right occasion occurs if its to be done anyway. SWIAlfa raises some good points: clearly it could help anxiety issues or it could mess them right up even worse, I am unsure quite how it would effect them, so will wait until the time is right: that might be next week, next month or never. The only reason I like the idea of acid is the good times I have seen by others and the potential improvement it could make in one'self. Although I have used most substances on this forum at times it is not a question of checking off the checklist, it just seems as though it could be a interesting, profound and yes, fun experience. I will play safe. Cheers.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
Tags: