Oral use - Ways to mask kratom’s taste

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by sands of time, May 14, 2005.

1. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I have been consuming kratom for awhile now, and I have learned a thing or two along the way. One of the biggest complaints that I hear about kratom is the taste. Though I rarely consume low grade kratom, which is known for its bitter taste, I like to use things to mask the taste on occasion. This is especially useful for large doses as well. Heres a list of some things I have used to hide the taste.

Milk: I have been told that the British used milk in they're green tea, as it was rather bitter and full of tanins. Milk neutralizes the tanins in kratom tea as well, and the resulting tea is much less bitter. This method may also help with nausea issues dramaticly. I add about 1/2 - 1 cup of milk to 8 ounces of kratom tea.

Sweet tea: I find that kratom strongly resembles the taste of green tea, only kratom is more bitter. When boiling the kratom, filter out the sediments and throw a few tea bags in the kratom tea, along with some sugar. The resulting brew will be much more mild in bitterness. Add till your satisfied with the taste.

Apple sauce: By combinding potent kratom powder with apple sauce, one can consume quite a bit of powder without even tasting it. This method results in a longer, but less intense buzz.

Arizona Iced Tea: This is the bottled tea that they sell at the store. Any of the sweetened teas works very well. I just add as needed, it won't ruin the taste if to much is used.

Chamomile: Throwing a few tea bags of this herb, along with sugar, works wonders. This will also add to the sedation, which is nice if you want to get the nod.

*For all the tea bags, I just make the kratom tea, than throw in the tea bags and sugar.

I don't generally use these methods, unless the dose is high, or the potency of the material is low. i have recommended these methods to kratom newbies, however, and they said they worked excellent. Some can only drink kratom tea with something to mask the taste.

2. panchovilla

panchovilla Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I think I will try the milk thing. The chamomile definetly sounds like a good idea because I like to get the nod. I never thought about it might it might be cool to take like one tylenol pm or sleep aid with kratom too. I wish I had some chamomile. I am gonna end my kratom abstanance right now.

3. panchovilla

panchovilla Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I am on my third glass of Kratom. First I tried with chocolate creamer then with milk and now plain with sugar(the third glass is from the second boil). It is all good for variety. The only thing I don't like about the chocalate creamer is that it reminds of me of kava kava when I used to add loads of chocolate syrup to mask the taste. So now due to the permanent mental scaring that kava kava's grotesque taste gave me I am still suffering. On a positive note now I have added a variety of flavors to mykratom menu. Thanks, Sandsoftime, for the inspiration to experiment more with Kratom; I had fallen into just doing the same old thing over and over again. Applesauce is very good with kratomI am going to put that on the grocerylist.

4. sands of time

Reputation Points:
    Glad to hear this worked for you. 3 glasses in one night though? Damn, that shit gives me a terrible hangover if I drink to much hehe. I'm definately gonna expirement more with mixing other things with kratom. I even though about making some kratom beer or wine! Also, I would recommend soaking some kratom in high proof alcohol for a week or so, as this method works very well.

5. William_Again

William_Again Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    ok well this is what I recenlty tired.

Chocolate Pudding: I used 2 tablespoons of super strength and boiled it
    in 1 1/4 cups of water and boiled it down till to about 1/4 a cup and
    then I made instant chocolate pudding...it did mask the taste ok but
    the pudding prolly wouldn't do so well with the nausea that accompanies
    kratom (cause it didn't for me).

I also did the same thing (2 tablespoons of super strength and 1 1/4
    cups of water, boiled till it was about 1/4 cup of liquid and strained)
    and then I added ovaltine (about 4 tablespoons) and it masked the
    initial taste of the kratom quite well, but didn't get rid of the
    alkaloid aftertaste, I would recommend this since it is quick and easy.

For me while both of these methods proved better than the normal tea or
    any other method I had tried before, I clearly cannot handle the nausea
    that comes with kratom cause both times I got sick about 30mins after
    ingestion and puked my guts out and spent the day in bed feeling like
    shit. I also now have 50grams of this stuff that I will prolly never
    use again.

6. panchovilla

panchovilla Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Damn, dude I am sorry to hear that, but I am also very thankful that opiates and kratom don't nauseate me. Do opiates give you nausea WilliamAgain? It is wierd how different things affect people in such different manner. WilliamAgain, have you ever tried Kava kava in the raw ground root form? I could not handle the taste of that stuff, but have heard many people say the exact reverse with kratom. I have also noticed that the fresher the kratom the less bitter the taste. I have never noticed anyone else mention this but I know for a fact that the freshness of kratom affects t he taste. The first kilo I got I let it go bad quicker due to improper storage. I had it up high on a shelf, but it is best to keep it down low in the dark due to the drastic temperature changes up high leading to possible condensation or moisture. The second kilo I got has stayed pretty much fresh right down to the end, but it was not as fresh to begin with as the initial one. or the first one I got initially had no bitter taste what so ever, I could pretty much just eat it straight and wash it down with water with no problem, and it induced supreme euphoria. As time elapsed though it began to take on a more bitter taste, and even at the very end, by this time the second one was on the way, it was growing mold in it and smelled very earthy. The second one, on arrival, already had a hint of bitterness in it, I suspected that perhaps fresh was mixed in with some not so fresh to stretch it out, but in the long run through proper storage the second outlasted the first in the freshness category. Well, let me know if you think I'm trippin'.

peace

7. sands of time

Reputation Points:
    New recipe:

I dug up a few herbs I had laying around and tossed them in my brew. The taste was excellent.

8 ounces water
    2 table spoons kratom
    4-8 table soons of sugar
    2 table spoons Japanese tea twigs
    3 table spoons green tea
    3 square inches of orange skin or an 1/8 of the orange meat.

After this is all boiled, add about 1/4 of milk.

This brew was excellent! It had a great tea taste, but the milk made it very creamy. I will be repeating this one many times.

8. William_Again

William_Again Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Opiates do give me some nausea, but not anywhere as bad as this stuff,
    the only opiate that ever caused me to get this sick was a morphine
    drip, otherwise opiates in pill form don't bother me.

I tried mixing kratom with kanna, blue lotus, passion flower,
    scullcap...the time that I did that I did not get sick but I noticed no
    extra effects from the kratom (I made the tea and used generous amounts
    of the other herbs).

9. Spelvin

Spelvin Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    swim mentions this whenever swim gets a chance; COFFEE!! Nothing covers up that kratom taste like coffee, mix it up between a few cups ( You can use decaf if You is looking to relax) and it will just taste like not-so-great coffee. I would also imagine that Ginger pills would cure any nausea, SWIM just drinks 7-up.

10. trptamene

trptamene Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    What about simply putting it into capsules? Anyone have experience with this?

11. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    what about using UEI and just dumping the powder directly into the mouth followed by a large drink of your choice ? I say this is the fastest way he knows and though its powder and very dry its all washed down by your fav beverage.
    :D

12. nEone

nEone Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I was NOT a fan of "Krapple Sauce" - the consitencey, plust he sheer volume kind of grossed him out.

I use high-grade leaf powder - no extracts or concentrates. He finds that 1.5 teaspoons gets him where he needs to go - and mixing into liquids is often more of a pain than just spooning the powder into his mouth and chugging a glass of grapefruit juice. If you get the powder onto the middle of the tongue, you don't taste it. You just have to be careful to not INHALE before you drink, becuase the powder up the sinuses will gag you.

Capsules - for whatever reason - seem to seriously degrade the potency - not just for SWIM, but anecdotally from many sources.

13. kratom_

kratom_

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    Re: Ways to mask kratom’s taste

try coffee only thing that works for swim

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  14. saco

saco Newbie

Reputation Points:
    The Best way to mask the taste is to add a pinch of 'Crystal Light' Peach Tea Flavored powder to it. A teaspoon of this concentrate makes 2 liters of tea. Just add a pinch and it will cover up the taste 100%. Saco says so - trust me.

15. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    cranberry juice. Hands down. The tartness and taste of the juice totally masks that unpleasant flavor. My brother and I have a joke about how things taste. If we make a face to a bad tasting food or drink we ask eachother "How bad was that on a scale from 1 to kratom?"

1. 3/5,
      "1 to kratom." I'll use that. :)
      Dec 15, 2007
  16. epiphenomenon

epiphenomenon Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Swimoi uses grapefruit juice. Or lime juice and orangejuice. The taste is all but masked so then it is only a question of texture. heh.

Of course you have to be a fan of grapefruit juice...

The one time this didn't work though was with an especially bitter batch. Nothing worked with that one. And I have been wondering why there is such a difference between that batch ('kratom super powder') and the one I favor ('bali super premium commercial blend crushed leaves'). Not sure about the freshness thing...
    There was also no noticable difference in potency. Just different.

I have been thinking about mixing it in with some good dark chocolate. Just break of a chunk and eat. It would have to be a potent type. Maybe UEI so that I would just eat a square or two. Possibly adding something else in there for crunch...grasshopper? ;)

(swim just had their first cup of Kava and I have to say I say Kratom is way better in flavor ISO)

~epi

17. radiometer

radiometer bananadine addict Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

That's really funny. :) But from what I understand, kratom is a piss in the wind compared with crude mescaline extractions and some other plant drugs in terms of flavor. Reports also indicate that poppy tea may be more bitter than kratom.

My buddy Eddie just uses lemon juice and sugar. I get the feeling that he's been using it chronically for long enough that the flavor is sort of welcome.

18. AceOvArts

AceOvArts Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    man alive kratom is a walk in the park compared to poppy tea. Makes SWIM wanna puke just thinking about it

19. imyourlittlebare

imyourlittlebare Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    are you kidding me? kratom is 100times worse. if you take out all of poppy teas pulp. One could use double the dose of ice tea mix and I has never had a more delciious mild altering beverage.... except a mojito

20. nEone

nEone Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Cactus brew, in SWIM's opinion is 100 times more revolting than Kratom. To him, Kratom is mildly unpleasant, but mostly for the process of the Toss-n-wash and getting powder stuck to the roof of his mouth. The taste isn't all that bad. Then again, he's not letting it linger, he usually aims for the middle of the tongue and washes with a highly acidic juice like grapefruit.