Weak or Nonexistent Urine Stream from Opiates

Discussion in 'Opiates & Opioids' started by umich, Nov 16, 2006.

1. umich

umich Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    When I takes oxycodone he notices that he has an extremely weak stream. Basically when SWIM urinates, I cannot get a steady stream if My life depended on it. It dribbles out and I have to stop and go several times to finish. Anyone else have this problem?

2. Abrad

Abrad R.I.P. Platinum Member & Advisor R.I.P.

Reputation Points:
    Re: Weak Urine Stream

Difficulty urinating is a very common side effect of opiate use.

3. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Swim concurs...it seems to be a side effect of quite a number of drugs actually. She's found that it occurs with stimulants, opiates, DXM, other hallucinogens, and sometimes just large amounts of alcohol. It's nothing to be terribly concerned with (she thinks, hopes) unless it lasts a very long time and it can be horribly uncomfortable if one has a full bladder and can't seem to urinate at all...this has virtually ruined a few of her drug experiences.

4. Forthesevenlakes

Forthesevenlakes Platinum Member

Reputation Points:

As far as I know, urinary retention during an opiate experience (or other drug experiences) isnt terribly harmful, and usually doesnt last much longer than the duration of the drug. With opiates, they may cause cells to retain water and inhibit smooth muscle constriction for a while after the high fades, but it should be gone after 8-12 hours. If You really tries to force it, You can usually urinate, it will just take a couple minutes to really empty the bladder. Take some solace in the fact that recent studies have decided that famous astronomer Tycho Brahe did not die of a burst bladder from drinking too much at a party and not urinating, as was first thought - indeed, such a thing is regarded as impossible by doctors.*

The condition under which it may NOT be harmless is if one is using opiates habitually. If You spends several days high and unable to urinate/defecate, then this could really mean trouble and a laxative and a break from opiates would be reccomended. Granted, if one feels the need to be constantly high on opiates to the point of ignoring bodily functions for several days, they might want to stop use for many other reasons as well...

*Google Tycho Brahe if you dont know who he is. He's an interesting character...an astronomer with a prosthetic nose and a tame elk.

5. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:

As stated above Its mostly because of smooth muscle inhibition . Its not a problem unless You notices cell water retention ie swelling of face/hands.

6. gotxp

gotxp Newbie

Reputation Points:

SWIM also noticed this while he was on the opiate. Once he stopped taking it the problem clear'd up within a day.

7. weekender2

weekender2 Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Funny enough, this only happens to SWIM when he uses codeine; nothing else bothers him in this way.

Pax,
    Weekender

8. Maximill

Maximill Newbie

Reputation Points:
    SWIM can't piss right!

I have been having troubles urinating when on ANY dosage of Oxycodone or any opiates for that matter, Is that bad?

SWIM usually has to lick thier palm and create friction on Thier member to piss at all, I think its a damn pain in the ass.

I amn't caused pain but I think its very anoying.

9. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Re: SWIM can't piss right!

Yes Opiates such as oxycodone can cause one to have difficulties urinating and or shiting. It can be common so dont worry, one might want to invest in an expectorant (I beleive that is what he name of urinary drus are called), because too much of a back up can cause a bladder infection or something worse. If You stops taking opiates for a couple of days, these symptoms should dissapear, if they dont, You might want to ask a medical professional.

10. sciencedj

sciencedj Silver Member

Reputation Points:

I have an implanted intrathecal morphine pump. Urinating was difficult at first. There is a secret: Spread your LEGS as far apart as possible.

This help's SWIM tremendously. The farther SWIM spreads his legs, the easier it is for SWIM to pee...Try It!

As far as I know..this only helps males pee on opiates, but if you are female...give it a try and let SWIM know if it works for them also.

p.s. DRMuffy - the class of drugs that cause people to urinate are called diuretics, not expectorants. ;)

11. Maximill

Maximill Newbie

Reputation Points:

Well I have already found out a way to beat this problem. SWIM just rubs the tip of his penis until enough friction is caused to urinate. SWIM can only urinate in small spurts, but after a few minutes all the piss is out. I am just tired of having to piss in the sink haha

12. Maximill

Maximill Newbie

Reputation Points:

Swim will try the "spread legs" technique next time, thanks!

13. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:

Oh, haha diuretics of course! Thanks for th helpful info SWIsciencej about this technic, SWIdr will try this next time he experiences touble in this "area" due to opiate abuse.;)

14. Klaus

Klaus Newbie

Reputation Points:

Trouble urinating due to opiate use is because of paralytic smooth muscle.
    Diuretics are not a good idea in this scenario because the stimulate the kidney to produce urine,therefore this could lead to bladder damage because of inability to empty it.

Lay of the opiates and normal function will return.

I should point out this is a professional observation.

15. upperdecker

upperdecker Newbie

Reputation Points:

I remember one day I ate 100mg Morphine at work. I didn't piss for more than 8 hours. He literally thought his bladder was going to explode.

16. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    Threads merged.

-FTSL

17. DrMuffy

DrMuffy Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    One time when SWIdr wa younger, he decided to do 60mg (oral) and 15 mg of oxycodone. Well that was one blissful experience, but the days following after, SWId couldnt piss at all. So he gets worried about his bladder and just thinks he has an infection and needed antibiotics so he went to his local doc's office. Well it was one akward visit, due to not only having another man examine my genitals, but getting his prostate checked too "just to be safe". Since SWIdr had to go thru this, he might as well see if he can get any pain meds (non needed because it didnt really hurt) out of it. SWIdr ended up getting a prescription for 20 endocets and a Z-pack.
    A couple days later he was tlkin bout the situation with his buddy, and found out the true reson behind SWIdr's urinary troubles, the opiates. Which is funny because the opiates were causing the problem in the first place but then ended up getting more of them prescibed for the solution.

18. brown_chunx

brown_chunx Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Opiates (heroin most of all) have always caused much trouble for SWIM to piss, and literally impossible to shit. I'd recommend pissing and shitting every morning before using. Of course, I was constipated up to a month and a half before, and laxatives were just giving him terrible cramps. He had to stop using for a couple days because the pain was too unbearable.

Whenever SWIM finally shit, it felt like his sphinctor was being ripped open and it was actually bloody, so I'd DEFINATLY recommend stopping and using laxatives for a couple days before you go too long.

And whenever my real f'ed up on H, he'll just stand in front of the pisser for a couple minutes, slowly feeling the piss about to come out, and when it starts coming, he has to push really hard, and it still stops and goes. I always figured it was because H makes your inside shit numb.

19. Forthesevenlakes

Reputation Points:
    That side effect, nasty as it is, is fairly common. Good suggestion about waiting to use before one has gone to the bathroom, especially if one is a habitual opiate user. I think that this occurs not so much because opiates make one's insides numb (there arent alot of nerve endings inside the body to begin with, a few, but not many), but rather that opiates constrict smooth muscles (leading to constipation and constricted pupils, for example), and also cause cells to take up more water than they normally would, which contributes to making urination difficult.

20. oxalot

oxalot Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    SWIM tends to have this problem and just makes sure to stay real hydrated.As sevenlakes reported that cellular absorbtion is a problem one must compensate for this with the extra water. It helps make the going easier once one gets a stream moving. Good hydration also helps with constipation, along with other factors, as most chronic users will already know.