weed before beer you're in the clear, beer berfore grass you're on your ass! ???

Discussion in 'Cannabis' started by geezaman, Jul 24, 2006.

1. geezaman

geezaman Gold Member Donating Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    my little group of friends have for about 6 months now been following the teachings of this rhyme after one of the group introduced it.
    "Weed before beer you're in the clear, beer before grass you're on your ass"

I am interested to know if any yous have heard it before?
    Also is it true? I have not been drunk before smoking in ages but often drinks while he smokes.
    Does "on your ass" mean that Drunk and stoned is twice as messed up in an interesting drug way- I know this to be true. Or that in the wrong order (by the teaching of the rhyme) throwing up is alot more likely?
    Is it because of the immediate effects of the two such as taste? Or there effects? if so being drunk takes longer after ingesting beer than being stoned through smoking.
    In addition is it just beer and an interaction between hops based things or any alcohol?
    Is it just saying don't drink or eat bitter things while high and giving a likely example? in this case a sweet cider would be OK.

Or is it just a big load of hairy bollocks?

Believe it or not all of these questions arose while I was high. SWIM as no idea whether his friend heard it somewhere or created it himself.
    any views?

2. tokingchicken

tokingchicken Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Yeah ive heard that before, and for me it is untrue.
    Everybody is different, some people will get sick if they use in the wrong order. Personally this doesnt effect me at all though, ive smoked before drinking shitloads, and ive smoked while already piss drunk.

3. ryanstein

ryanstein Newbie

Reputation Points:
    ive never heard that b4 and 1 of my friends, swim, says it doesnt make a difference which 1 comes first. usually when swim smokes and drinks he hardly ever throws up. mayb because he doesnt drink as much when he gets stoned because he is less "rowdy" but instead more chilled out. if swim throws up its cuz of the amount of alcohol he consumed and nothing to do wit the order of chronic and alcohol.

i would think tho that it holds true to certain ppl. i think one has to kno there own body and reactions so they understand how its goin to effect them and b able to party how their bodies are comfortable with...

just my opinion...ryan

4. geezaman

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    SWIM wonders if its more true to people with less weed experience, he reminisces that 2 of his friends when they first began to smoke would throw up almost every time this went on for almost 2 months of occasional smoking and then died out, now no one in my group of stoners ever pukes no matter how much they smoke. SWIM wonders if alot of peoples first experience with weed is while drunk and thats how it came about.
    I know that his best and most intense experiences of weed have happened when he got drunk while stoned.

5. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I've never heard that, but it makes sense in swim's experience. Usually swim smokes most nights, but drinks just once or twice a week maybe. Swim usually smokes, drinks, smokes and then is done but if she drinks a moderate amount to begin with and then smokes she feels more drunk than stoned throughout the night and is less coordinated, intoxicated, , sloppy, etc.

6. Nagognog2

Nagognog2 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    I met this critter, named Teed, who always wanted to tell you that you should never mix beer and pot - EVER! He was quite excited about making certain you knew this.

Teed was kRaZy. He would disappear from view for weeks at a time. Then he'd reappear - shuffling his feet and waving his arms around, drool frothing from his mouth. I asked Teed where he heard about the evils of mixing pot and beer. He told me his doctor told him this. This same doctor was why Teed shuffled, waved, and drooled. He had Teed on thorazine. When Teed would vanish - he was under the good doctor's care. In a mental ward. Teed had been diagnosed with having mixed beer and pot.

Most people I knew promptly tried mixing beer and pot. But they never shuffled, waved, or drooled. I guess they didn't have a wonderful doctor like Teed had.

This doctor later moved to Trinidad. He was quite wealthy. His wife had died under mysterious circumstances. The doctor had a nice, young woman waiting in the wings. She moved to Trinidad, too. Teed disappeared once and for all. The doctor's wife was buried in Massachusetts. She didn't go to Trinidad.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2006
  7. podge

podge Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    I think smoking too much before drinking is kind of annoying as its hard to get the first few beers in sometimes.drinking and smoking will kill most people at first but everyone becomes accustomed to it if they do it enough and people learn when enough is enough. alcohol and marijuana is a fun combo....but it can be deadly when overdone and the spinners kick in....or so my monkey tells me anyway.

8. ryanstein

ryanstein Newbie

Reputation Points:
    swim guesses that he's not drinking or smoking as much as swiy. he's never had a bad experience from drinking and smoking together but swim also smokes a lot of cigerettes which one would think that chain smoking cigs would make it worse. who knos!!!

ryan

9. bravo

bravo Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from bermuda
    swim back that statement 100 per cent, swim can smoke skunk all night then drink no problems, go to pub come back and have a joint or 2 brings problems often involving seeing ones dinner for a second time although swim still does it anyway

10. sterling77

sterling77 Iridium Member

Reputation Points:
    from denmark
    This is true for SWIM and is consistent with other things he's seen. Weed seems to enhance the state one is in at the time of smoking. When it's smoked before ingesting another substance it sets a chill tone for it. However, when it's smoked when peaking on another substance- especially psychedelics- it usually intensifies it a lot.

11. StigmataLectron

StigmataLectron Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o from U.S.A.
    A quick $.02,

I had afew shots of cheap whiskey (90 proof, felt a little buzz) when he smoked a joint. He did throw up that night, but was extremely fucked up as well. I'd say "On your ass" is a pretty good description.

12. Bajeda

Bajeda Super Moderator Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    I find that the order does make a difference to him personally, but the quantity of substances ingested makes the bigger difference.

I find when he smokes weed and then drinks he is usually too lazy to drink much or he will just go pass out after he starts getting a bit too tipsy.

I find when he drinks a bunch and then smokes weed he is likely to either puke or stumble around deliriously making an ass of himself before passing out in a random location. He also finds it greatly increases the chance of a black-out occurring.

I believe that the quantity is the key though. When he smokes before drinking in general the drinking isn't as enjoyable, and when he drinks a large amount and then smokes bad things happen. But when he drinks enough to get reasonable tipsy or maybe a little drunk and then smokes a little bit of marijuana it creates a nice soothing effect that prevents swim from drinking more and calms him down to prevent him from indulging in any mischiveous shennanigans that could possibly get him in trouble. :p:

13. geezaman

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I think SWIBajeda has worked out well the "on your ass" part of mixing weed and beer and that it infarct refers to blacking, whiting, and passing out;) .

SWIM only last night thought he should try out the supposed incorrect order just to see how good/bad it was (but fully expecting lots of vomit)
    The plan started with an intended 6 mouthfuls of Burbon and a bottle of Stella followed by a few bowls of the good stuff.
    It ended up as about 12 mouthfuls of Burbon a bottle of Stella and and can of strongbow cider and about 1.5 bowls (SWIM considered this mix of alcohol types would produce a drunken state more quickly and better represent a night of drinking. Or he was already feeling a bit pissed so wanted to further his state (he cannot honestly remember) anyway I did some plant trimming while waiting to feel drunk/more drunk, about 20 mins of trimming later I was 'somewhat':p inebriated and started on his bowls. 1/2 an hour following this I had not got onto his 2nd bowl but found himself repeatedly regaining consciousness lying on his bed in the candle light, after SWIM realized what was happening he forged a plan which was to put a dot on a paper every time he regained consciousness, well he forgot sometimes obviously because he was completely mashed but the next morning counted 6 dots. I did not throw up or feel sick not even once.

SWIM concludes from his little experiment that the "on your ass" part of the rhyme does infact mean You is more likely to loose consciousness. But also thinks that those who are likely to puke while drinking or smoking are allot more likely to do so when when mixing the two.

Nice to hear from Nagnog that when people SWIN knew found out a possible reason why someone was more messed up than them selfs, they all "promptly" copied it. I know a certain SWIM who certainly would have done the same on hearing:D

14. Nature Boy

Nature Boy Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    Being Irish and a regular pot smoker, SWIM almost always mixes drinking and pot. Generally, smoking weaker pot while drinking works because stronger stuff will give the head-spinning effects if one is getting drunk for the night as opposed to just having one or two casual beers. Too much beer with good smoke is a right vomit-enducer so one should be moderate but apart from that there is no considerable risk as long as you're not operating heavy machinery or driving etc.

The "weed before beer you're in the clear, beer before grass you're on your ass" saying makes sense in practice. Having a smoke before drinking beer tends to be done a lot and although the weed may slow down your drinking speed, usually it works out very nicely. Smoking the weed after drinking all night can be a disaster because one spliff is gonna do a lot more to you than one beer.

It's plain common sense really.

15. geezaman

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Seems a bit stupid now and surprise surprise what I found out last night.

last night I thought he would re-conduct his test but instead of aiming to stay cool doing the thing in the wrong order went for doing the right order and getting allot more messed up- result- SWIM succeeded, basically 4 good bowls followed by a few shots short of a 35cl hip flask of whiskey 2 cans of bitter and 2 cans of strongbow, well the feelings went like this;
    1) I am really really mashed
    2) my head is spinning but he can cope with it and calm down
    3) SWIM might throw up but sitting up will definitely avert this
    4) sitting up turned into part of the motion of getting up, running to the bathroom, and throwing up, then throwing up lots.

I am now More confident that knowing your limits and sticking to them is a bigger factor when considering ending up in a pool of sick than the order in which you consume weed and beer.

SWIM also realized that to most people vomiting is a really bad thing that means you are really unwell where as in his group of friends it has become more of a thing that just happens someone will just go to the bathroom or a tree, throw up, clean up a bit and then come back and rejoin the party.

has throwing up become more common place and less of a shocking event to everyone on here?

16. bewilderment

bewilderment Drug Geek Extraordinaire Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

Basically, I am still not very used to throwing up on alcohol and/or marijuana. She's never thrown up on marijuana by itself, but has thrown up on alcohol a few times however it's a rare occurance. But, it doesn't phase swim or anyone she hangs out with if they have to throw up. It's rather common.

It's especially common to be unphased in a group of people used to different substances which often induce vomiting such as hallucinogens and sometimes opiates (other various ones, but these seem to be the big ones). I remember once at a party there was a girl who had consumed a hallucinogen (most people had, but she was having the biggest problem) and she just chilled out in the living room vomiting into a plastic bag about every 5-15 minutes for about an hour. No one really said anything about it and it was one of the hosts that just gave her the bag because she was making so many trips to the bathroom. Swim and her partner found it sort of gross or at least disturbing the ambience to have someone throwing up right there near everyone, but if that's how it has to be then so be it. Also, for many, throwing up is sometimes a good thing because at times it means that the trip is really starting: you throw up, then feel better physically, look up from the toilet bowl and see the patterns on the shower curtains starting to swirl. It's usually a relief to throw-up (considering that I am fairly certain everything has been absorbed) because it means that you get rid of that awful feeling and then move to the next stage of the trip which is all good.

When tripping (on substances very likely to cause GI distress) it's expected. Usually if people are over at swim's house, swim and/or her partner take the time to explain to everyone their options if they get nauseous: the bathroom's here and point out the trash cans, maybe get a bag out if someone is especially prone to getting sick multiple times. It seems that most regular users just take nausea as something necessary, the price to get throught the toll.

Swim now doesn't really have any aversions to getting sick. She usually bears the nausea until she starts getting "alerts" and then if the nausea is still very present and doesn't seem to be going away then she makes the decision to go ahead and empty out her stomach so she can enjoy the rest of her time. It's not a big deal, vomit, brush your teeth, then chill and enjoy the rest of your trip. Although, for substances that cause an abnormal amount of nausea (as in swim can't hold it down long enough to be absorbed) she usually takes dramamine.

17. M3th

M3th Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    This is true for swim. He got drunk one night and then smoked a couple blunts, he then threw up.

18. jardo

jardo Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from Canada
    "Booze before hoots, and you'll puke on your boots"

A friend of mine told SWIM this once, but I didn't really think anything of it until high school graduation... (because afterall, 18 yr olds are invincible!!) It should be noted that I was by no means a stranger to the cheeba, and certaintly no lightweight drinker either.

Anywho, I was having a blast drinking his face off like any other irresponsible 18 year old, no signs of stomach troubles, nausea, or anything of the sort...

Until....

* DUN DUN DUN!!!*

I was offered to smoke a few bowls.. About 10 minutes afterward, I got extremely dizzy and felt like he needed to go lay down.. SWIM retreated to his bedroom and began tossing and turning like a fish out of the water unable to shake the feeling that the ineviteble "stomach flush" was drawing near...

Needles to say, SWIM puked his entire stomach contents on the carpet beside his bed, and thensome.

Did SWIM learn his lesson? Heck no... I have endured several identical nights, and it has always occured when a "Booze before HOOTS" combo had been consumed...

However, a HOOTS THEN BOOZE combo has never caused any problems for SWIM..

The Big Lesson: BOOZE BEFORE HOOTS AND YOU'LL PUKE ON YOUR BOOTS!

Peas!

19. prescription

prescription Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have found that it makes no difference for him or his friends and they routinely mix alcohol and beer with no ill effects. However I have found that some weed after a LOT of alcohol ( im talking about having trouble standing and nodding off everytime you sit down kinda drunk) can be a problem. I did'nt vomit that evening but felt like throwing up the rest of the night and felt like crap in the morning. This leads me to the conclusion that a little bit of alcohol before weed does nothing but keep it in moderation.
    btw- I have never heard of that expression before but its catchy and i will make sure I remember it next time he goes out

20. reeeeef

reeeeef Newbie

Reputation Points:
    30 y/o
    swim's heard that one before, and can say from personal experience that it's definately true. on your ass fer sure. problem is if you're already drunk then you're dumb and you think you can handle it. someone asked if "on your ass" is meant in an interesting drug way. no. it's meant in an extra fucked up way haha, which can be funny at least.

swim always says the best way to go is to smoke a jay or a bowl with your buddies and then kick back and sip a few beers for the rest of the night.