1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Wellbutrin - Recreational potential? Nope

Discussion in 'Antidepressants' started by OTCJ, May 19, 2017.

1. OTCJ

OTCJ Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    from Nowhere in particular
    So a friend of mine told me how he had been reading up on the alleged recreational value of snorting bupropion, (wellbutrin), and like the dumbshit he is, he decided to try it. He had taken 150mg earlier in the day orally, and figured he was eventually going to try snorting it, (now that he knew people had tried this), so he figured he'd get it out of the way now so that if it DID have recreational value he could switch meds to something that couldn't be abused, and if it DIDN'T have recreational value he could cross that off the list of possibilities.

At 10:30 am he divided another 150mg pill roughly into thirds, crushed 50mg of it up and snorted it. The burn wasn't pleasant, but not nearly as bad as he had read about online, and he started cleaning his room to pass the time, and organizing his calendar in anticipation of the onset...which never really came. It amounted to about a 5-10% uptick in the effects from the pill taken orally earlier.

He messed around on the computer and continued organizing and cleaning for about 20 minutes before concluding a more pronounced effect was not coming. At about 11:00 am he snorted the next 50mg, (which burned significantly worse), and although about 10 minutes later he felt about another 5-10% uptick in the effects, nothing really changed. He decided to give it another 20 minutes though and went to brush and floss his teeth super well for the sake of doing something productive.

It was now 11:40 and he decided to take the final 50 mg just so he couldn't later say "if i'd only done 150 I might have felt something"...because thats just how his rationalizing mind works. He snuffed it up and this time it burnt pretty bad to the point of making his right eye water. 10 minutes later he felt exactly the same except regretful of having done this experiment and decided he ought to try and clear his sinuses out, so he blew his nose, shot saline solution up his nose, and applied neosporin as far up his nose as he could reach with a Q-tip. this seemed to help a bit, but the burning continued at a low level, and his right eye continued to water for the next couple hours. He drank a coffee and took his nootropic stack, but felt no more focused or "up" than he had from just taking his initial oral dose.

He will now be taking his medication as prescribed: 150 mg orally in the mornings.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
    Bupropion definitively does NOT have recreational value via insufflation in my friends opinion. All the reports online of people getting "a mild cocaine high" from it are either written by people who are trolling or people who are very susceptible to the placebo effect as far as he's concerned. Please learn from my friend's misadventures, and DON'T try snorting this drug because unless you like sinus pain, he assures me it is a quite unpleasant experience.

2. WashedCNDL

WashedCNDL Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    21 y/o from U.S.A.
    I agree with you on that placebo front. For example, there are reports of people snorting the powder of Gabapentin (Neurontin) capsules and saying literally the same thing (mild cocaine effect). The only problems being that a) recreational gabapentin is nothing like cocaine and b) gabapentin doesn't even get absorbed through the nasal passages. That and having snorted the stuff and found no effect whatsoever.

Interesting to hear about the experience anyway, makes sense to me as it more or less seems a simple way of getting more of the drug into your bloodstream a smidge faster than oral administration. Although I believe @afriendoftina had some kind of profoundly uncomfortable experience snorting a lot of Buproprion some time ago...which I'm guessing mirrors taking too much orally anyway.

3. Scrofula

Scrofula Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from California
    I don't have bupropion experience up my nose or anywhere else, but a single anecdotal tale of warning for SSRIs and alternate ROAs.

I'd had a long-time 200mg/day sertraline(Zoloft) script, highest usually given, long ago adjusted, tolerated. Problem is when I'd have a bout of drunkeness, and skip doses. THat happened once when I quit cold and two weeks went by. Anyway, confronted by family, still a bit drunk, ate a bunch of benadryl to knock myself out, the usual. Except I redosed after that two week withdraw at 300mg. Chewed.

I often chew the benadryl, and some other things, habit from when I took it for nausea (no swallowing). I also chewed the Zoloft, but don't normally.
    Don't get too excited, because while I had open-eyed hallucinations, fairly vivid, within like twenty minutes (booze withdrawal would take another few hours, never looked as vivid as this in a bright room, and trust me, not an adequate dose of diphenhydramine for visual issues, which don't look acid-like anyway, and remember I was in withdrawal from the sertraline) . . . a few days later I lost all sense of taste. And I didn't regain it for a month. Couldn't find a single case report online, with or without the drug.

OK, you were expecting worse? Well, what happened? Had to be the SSRI straight murdered nerves in my mouth. Maybe not the worst suffering imaginable? OK, now imagine if you snorted it. Or smoked it or whatever. A whopping dose, which 300mg Zoloft is 6x the minimum, not really whopping, but a lot to a naive user. I have no idea what sort of mechanism that was. But I'd hate to think what it might do if it recurred in the back of someone's throat, and they lost a gag reflex or couldn't close their throat when they swallowed or something. Hey, it would be terrible even if you took that dose and plugged it, lost the abilty to feel farts coming for a month. So be careful.

Oh, and I could move my tongue, still smell fine, talk, feel my gums, just no taste. Or temp. A popsicle would smell like a cherry, and feel like a room temp hot dog in my mouth. For a month, and the sensations returned one after the other, not together. Feel free to speculate.

4. OTCJ

OTCJ Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    Sort of off topic there Scrofula...but still a somewhat interesting and potentially useful cautionary tale.

Just because you chewed your zoloft doesn't mean you consumed it via an alternate ROA...you still consumed it orally which is the prescribed method for Setraline. Your experience may have been contributed to by your body having been taxed by the alcohol but is most likely because of your combining diphenhydramine and setraline. 300mg of Setraline after 2 weeks off, (which is a LOT if your tolerance was back down), mixed with however much "a bunch of benedryl" is likely impacted the serotonin systems of your brain in a very pronounced way and lead to your hallucinations.

***For the record and for possible future readers, this is extremely ill advised and clearly unsafe based on the effect it had on Scrofula's sense of taste***.

Diphenhydramine has SSRI like effects and is on the list of contraindicated substances to be taken with an actual SSRI, and although you had hallucinations from it, it is a very dangerous way to get hallucinations and messing with the Serotonin systems in your brain can not only cause Serotonin syndome in the acute time frame, but can make changes in the way your neurochemistry works that take a LONG time to go back to normal, (I had a friend that went into psychosis for a while from taking a variety of SSRI's mixed with recreational drugs that act on serotonin).

@Washed CNDL

Interesting reference to the placebo effect being so strong that snorted Gabapentin could be described as cocaine-like! I wish I was susceptible to the placebo effect more, as I feel like I'd get a lot more out of bunk substances, but alas, I am skeptical. I knew a shady girl in high school that sold pure baking powder to some other girls as cocaine, and they snorted it while drinking and raved after the fact about how good it was...sigh...

Bupropion Retrospective:
    My friend told me he felt edgy, agitated and borderline sketched out for about 5 hours after trying his experiment, as if he had drank WAY too much coffee or something, but went to the gym, hit the sauna and felt very focused and alert afterwards, presumably because he burned out the majority of his excess energy and brought some endorphines into the mix. He was irritable while at the gym and time seemed to be moving rather slow while he was doing cardio as if he couldn't zone out the way he usually does. His nose was no longer in pain about 3 hours after his last consumption, but for the rest of the day he felt sinus pressure and couldn't seem to clear his nose. He felt there would be no way he could get to sleep, but took 3mg of melatonin and drank a large cup of valarian tea, (using 4 bags of it), and finally calmed down enough to sleep.

The following day his nose felt clogged and he felt a bit grogged out, but other than that no after-effects were noted. He drank a cup of tea, took his dose as it was intended to be taken and told me he felt more focused, functional and in general way better than he had the day before.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  5. Scrofula

Scrofula Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from California
    Just wanted to re-emphasize WHY I think this is appropriately cautionary:
    I had serious nerve damage from two medicines I took all the damn time since before OP was born. I have taken 2.5 grams diphenydramine at a time, chewed, all the while taking sertraline and any other number of things. Not the first withdraw from any of these meds, including booze, not the first massive dose of sertraline either (or booze).
    There was only one new variable, and that was the ROA of the sertraline--for the first time for me it was buccal, and kind of sublingual. As well as oral. Other people might call that pedantic and easy to dismiss; I would have laughed at it before this happened. But it's something you want to consider when sticking your medicines in places they aren't explicitly approved to go--things that seem totally harmless or routine aren't always so.

6. OTCJ

OTCJ Titanium Member

Reputation Points:
    I am removing this post because it is off topic and a waste of time

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  7. Scrofula

Scrofula Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    40 y/o from California
    PM'd. Cause, dude . . .

8. ConEveN

ConEveN Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from Mtn, usa
    OMG ! Whoever says snorting Wellbutrin is the poor man’s cocaine or has effects like meth has never done any of the 3. The only reason people in prison do it is because they’re desperate. My desperate loner self has tried it because I don’t want to see old connects. All it did was wake up my addiction that I call Scottie. Now he’s hungry and pissed that I tried that bullshit. I feel like a pussyfoot kid to admit it, but haven’t you ever done something stupid when you were hard up?