Health - What are the Dangers of Magic Mushrooms?

Discussion in 'Magic Mushrooms (Psilocybe & Amanita)' started by BGO2, Nov 6, 2003.

1. BGO2

BGO2 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Negative Effects from Psilocybin Mushrooms?

Ok i have been looking on the net for facts about this drug, it seems like it is not even illegal, I mean u can buy it off-line, but what i realy want to know are what are the negative affects? Besides bad trips, and taking to much and often, are there any noticable long or short term affects?

Please help i wanna know i can't find shit on this drug, thanx.

2. User

User Newbie

Reputation Points:
    After doing doses of mushrooms ranging up to 2 ounces I cannot find any mental bad effects in my mind. I hear mushrooms can be a little bad for your liver if you use them alot, but you do never know with all the lies and missconseptions in this world. If you have a positive outlook on life and a strong mind-state bad trips are few and far between. Positive effects on the other hand, I have lots of positive mind effects, it enhanced my spirtual self and I enjoy all the small things in life alot more. plus tones of other good stuff.

3. roisianna

roisianna Newbie

Reputation Points:
    From what i've read about shrooms i would say no there are no long term effects. I guess the exception would be if you have a really powerful emotional trip and it has a lasting effect in your mind, i guess especially if it was a bad trip.

I reckon it effects the muscle around the pupil in your eye, which controls the amount of light going into your eye, as this doesn't ajust (temporaraly, permanantly dialated pupils) your eye is flooded with light, so the receptor at the back of your eye, which sends a picture to your brain, is struggling to keep up, so you get freaky visuals. I am no scientist but i reckon this makes sense, to me anyway, lol.

4. honda_hustler

honda_hustler Newbie

Reputation Points:
    On the scale of drugs that are bad for you, meaning what they do to your brain and your body, what would this be rated from 1-10? 10 being the worst.

5. longdongchong

longdongchong Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Seeing as I just registered, I'll throw in my two bits.

Shrooms are so cool... It's funny staring at a lamp that grows, shrinks,grows again, then melts into the desk. One time my friend and Iwentto my car, forgot why we were there, and laughed for 10 minutes straight, to the point of tears.

Here aresome meandering thoughts that might answer your question...

I doubt that any drug can be considered GOOD for your body, since it changes things up for a bit. However, in my experience, and in the experience of all those I've tripped with, mushrooms have had no ill effects. All of us have tripped from no more than an eighth ounce of dried shrooms, with the exception of the time we tripped from 5g each made into chocolates.

The only bad possibilities that I can see are getting a bad batch of mushrooms... If there are bad microbes / fungi growing on the shrooms they can infect them, which I would think could poison you orfrig up the trip. Also, the psilocin / psilocybin in shrooms has been said to raise the level of serotonin (your "happy chemicals") in your brain, so you might feelmentally drained the next day. I guess ecstacy does this to a bigger extent, and you get pupil dilation with both drugs, so I'd bet that serotoninhas to do with your pupils dilating so darn much. For most people it's just an annoyance that is remedied with some coffee to get ya going in the morning! Oh yeah, and sleeping while tripping IS VERY HARD TO DO. Stuff is way too interesting to pass up, especially if you like to analyze things.

As a rule of thumb, especiallyyour first time,I wouldn'ttake more than 1/8 ounce (3.5g) of dry shrooms. I've never had the pleasure of fresh shrooms, so I have no idea on their potency. Living in Maine (which is basically canada with less people heh), we get limited amounts which are usually dry and crumbly, and probably not very potent.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'll place marijuana at 1 as an reference, and shrooms would probably be at 3 or 4, only because enough of them can poison you. That would take a LOT from what I've heard; I've done a bit of research on the 'web, but then again, I am a Mainer with few connections and only 4 mushroom trips under my belt. I'm sure that someone with moresci background can back up or shoot down some of my info.

Good luck if you decide to go for it, be safe and enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  6. roisianna

roisianna Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Quoting fear and loathingin las vegas a fine choice

Weird to put drugs on a scale they are all so different and stand on their own,no scale needed.You can only try then give them your own scaled number hustler one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2007
  7. tony_mac

tony_mac Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've never heard of stomach bleeding before, but psilocybin IS a poison. The maximum non-lethal dosage is believed to be 17 grams. Also, chronic use can apparently cause fluid build-up on the spine. I got that from a library book that was printed in the 70's, so it may be factually out of date.

8. hersnab

hersnab Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I keep getting flash backs. These range from intense visuals for a short while or just a tickly giggly feeling, I took mushrooms over two years ago and I still get little waves now and then. They get less and less the more time that passes but I know if I were to do them again it would be the same thing over again.

The visuals are normally just flashes or stars, as if someone just blew a load of silver glitter in your face, I once got one while driving my whole family on the motorway. The sky turned pink and I felt as if I was encapulated inside one of the droplets of water on my windscreen. If it had lasted any longer than 30 seconds I have no doubt I would have crashed.

The last time I went on an aeroplanethe take off triggered a 'wave' although this could have been co-incidence. The whole inside cabin turned pink I asked my girlfriend wether she could see it but she couldn't. Then she realised too!

The scariest experience though was when I was lying in bed (easy!)with my girlfriend talking, at this point in our relationship she had no idea I had done them, well anyway we were talking when suddenly an image of her appeared standing next to the bed, I jumped and shouted, let alone shit myself, I told her what I'd seen and she said she thought it was an omen that she was going to die or something and started to get freaked, thats when I had to come clean!

No real point to this or conclusion just wanted to share!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2009
  9. pseudologist

pseudologist Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I have never ever heard of anyone getting flashbacks. Are you/have you been on any other medication? What else did you take in your history? LSD? or any kind of other central nervous system stimulator? Do you have a history of mental illness outside of what you think is attributed to mushroom flashbacks? The point I am making is that mushrooms do not and cannot stay in your system for that long to give you flashbacks. If they do, then there is something wrong with your body in that it is incapable of completely ridding your body of poisons.....and you should get that checked out immediatly, because this could mean that if you were to get food poisoning someday, it would kill you.

10. hersnab

hersnab Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hello Pseudologist,

I've never taken LSD or any other type of hallucinogen, I've been on various medication over the years like us all for various ailments but nothing I would worry about or attribute to this but then again I wouldn't know whats in the stuff anyway. The flashbacksare extremly rare now, but I still get the occasional tickle. I'm not making any assumptions on what causes them all I know is they started after I took mushies and the feeling were the same as when I was on them, do you think I should go to a docter and tell them the whole story? I don't feel in a threatened position because of it unless they come on at a bad time, driving for instance. Thanks for the advice, do you think that perhaps they triggered something else that was always in me? I don't know but I do agree that it shouldn't last this long, maybe its just my own psychology playing tricks on me, or a yearning to take them again, like an addiction or something? I don't know, I appreciate the reply and now feel you have made me ask important questions regarding this situation and feel I need to resolve this.

Thanks for listening (reading, whatever!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2009
  11. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Tony Mac: 17 grams of psilocybin means eating 67 kg's of dry Hawaiian mushrooms, which means enough mushrooms to fill a large room with. Mushrooms are not toxic at all. There has been research on the toxicity and public health risks of mushrooms, by the CAM, a part of the United Nations INCB and Dutch government. The conclusion: Mushrooms do not pose a risk to public health, nor are they toxic. Mushrooms are anti-addictive. Therefore they should stay legal in the Netherlands. They did note that with persons which have an underlying/ non-active psychosis, the psychosis can get apperant or enhanced to visible proportions.

Hersab: did you ever smoke mushrooms? Psilocybe mushrooms are not supposed to give flashbacks if taken orally. Are you sure they where psilocybe mushrooms and not amanita mushrooms?

12. hersnab

hersnab Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I'm not sure, we went and picked them after someone showed us a handful, they were light to yellowey brown with darkened nipplesbut I cant remember what they looked like under the cap.

13. icemaster

icemaster Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Research has shown that flashbacks are not the result of traces of the substance staying in your body (for mushrooms, lsd or...) but in fact a psychological reaction to intense/dramatic events. Any dramatic event (such as a car crash) has the ability to cause flashbacks, but obviously this is largely dependant on the persons brain chemistry and psychology as well.

14. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    I doubt that your flashback episodes are a result from the mushrooms, unless they werent a mushroom with psilocybin content. There alot of mushrooms that look like magic mushrooms. This is always the risk when hunting for them and not knowing exactly. Be careful folks.

15. chronic777

chronic777 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Scientist dont actually know why shroomz do what they do, they can identify the drug but dont undertsand why it does what it does, adds a kinda mystery to them......

16. DannyP

DannyP Newbie

Reputation Points:
    I've done shrooms around 5 or 6 times now. When it comes down to it, I really enjoy shrooms over any other drug. However, everytime I trip, I get an extremely odd sensation that I can only describe as a sort of jaw tension. It is not the type of tension you get when you are on speed or x, rather it feels more like a constant muscle twitch. This alone can create much anxiety while tripping, at times causing an otherwise good trip to go bad. Does anyone else have a problem like this?

17. OneDiaDem

OneDiaDem Nefelibata Platinum Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Its a pretty common feeling. Along with other body sensations. Next time you trip, just tell yourself that this is a normal sensation, and focus on relaxing with it, telling yourself nothing is wrong. It always helps to have something to focus on to take your mind off of it also, like a candle, the flame bouncing, morphing ect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2009
  18. newfoundblazer

newfoundblazer Newbie

Reputation Points:
    What is the scientific explanation to what shrooms contain, and what they
    do to your brain to make you feel hallucinatory and great? Any heavy risks
    for doing them or long term damage?Edited by: newfoundblazer

19. Phungushead

Phungushead Twisted Depiction Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    from United States
    Pharmacology, Risks

The active contents in typical shrooms are psilocin, psilocybin (which
    gets broken down into psilocin after you eat them). Many also contain
    variable amounts of baeocysin and norbaeocysin.

Anyway, the complete mechanism on how it works isn't totally known
    yet, but basically psilocin is very similar structurally to a natural
    neurotransmitter in your brain called serotonin, and it ends up getting
    absorbed by the receptors (5-HT2 in this case) that would normally take
    in serotonin. It's unknown exactly what happens after that.

There are very little risks for shrooms if you're careful (you know, right
    setting, don't overdo it, stuff like that). The biggest risks tend to
    come from taking way too big a dose, or comboing with other drugs in
    high amounts - lots of stories of people taking a large amount,
    blacking out, thrashing around, stuff like that. Less common risks are
    the psychological ones, one of the more common being HPPD (do a
    search for that, there's a couple threads about it somewhere).

Physically, they're very safe though.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  20. lilsteve

lilsteve Newbie

Reputation Points:
    there is no physical danger that p. cubensis mushrooms causes you, but
    your behavior can become dangerous if you decide to start doing some
    dumb shit.

basically think of your brain as a huge computer processor. it sends
    electrical signals all different paths in order to do different things.
    when you consume psychadelics (or basically any substance, some foods
    included) the substances that affect your brain, those signals begin to
    travel through different paths. thats why things will get mixed up, for
    example inability to judge distances, hallucinations, colors, ego loss,
    etc.

if you're concerned, know that eating mushrooms cannot hurt you. only you can hurt yourself.