1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions - What are the effects of ativan 2mg

Discussion in 'Benzodiazepines' started by forbiddenlife5, Apr 6, 2011.

1. forbiddenlife5

forbiddenlife5 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and can't decide whether i want to get lorazepam (ativan) 2mg, because i haven't been able to find enough information on how it makes you feel. I used to take 1mg ativan, and despite of what some say, it hit me alot harder than 10mg valium, but i was, and also i have taken xanax BARS the 2mg ones, and i really like them, but they create major memory loss as a long term effect. So back to my question, how does a 2mg ativan make you feel considering it is a high dose.

2. garbage155

garbage155 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    2mg wouldn't cause memory loss for me, but hey everyone's different. Addiction-wise, I would advise to hold of on upping the dose of any GABAergic if possible, but if 1mg just isn't enough for you anymore, maybe it's time.

Why don't you try 2mg for a couple days, and if you don't like the effects, go back to 1mg.

garbage155 added 5 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

also forgot to add that i don't really find that ativan makes me "feel good" as well as other benzos (such as xanax). I just don't find it that recreational

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  3. sybau

sybau Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    Male from Canada
    The fact that 1mg Lorazepam hit you harder than 10mg of diazepam is a little surprising as they are pretty much equal in strength at that dosage, it is probably due to the fact that diazepam is absorbed more quickly than lorazepam, as lorazepam isn't as fat sol.

I'd say taking 2mg of lorazepam will be the equivalent of taking 20mg diazepam, but with a slower onset. You may want to be careful with dosage as you won't start to get the full buildup of lorazepam in your system for about three days.

There are other faster acting drugs that you could use, or maybe ask your doctor about beta-blockers if your anxiety is performance related, because if you don't have constant anxiety I doubt ativan will make you feel much different.

By you, I refer to everyone in a general sense - not any particular person or group of people.

4. kailey_elise

kailey_elise Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Female from Massachusetts, U.S.A.
    Are you sure about that? It's always been stated in my travels that lorazepam (Ativan) is faster-acting than the longer half-life properties of diazepam (Valium).

They'd give you a diazepam taper in a detox to get you off of lorazepam, because the diazepam lasts longer...

I'm a bit lost here, because what the PP says goes against everything I've heard regarding the drugs in question. Hmm.

To the OP: drugs affect people differently. Higher doses of any benzo are likely to induce memory loss (blackouts). Lorazepam at 2mg is going to feel like a slightly stronger version of what you felt taking lorazepam at 1mg. Why not just get the 2mg Ativans & break them in half if they're causing blackouts? Or, even better, just take them as the doctor prescribes? ;)

~Kailey

5. forbiddenlife5

forbiddenlife5 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Male from U.S.A.
    i used to take both, i had prescriptions for them, 1mg ativan hits you harder than 10mg valium and but it lasts shorter, as for the 10mg valium it doesn't hit you as hard, but it lasts longer, plus valium has the muscle relaxant property in it that ativan doesn't have, so in a way they give you a slight different kind of high, but all benzos relax me

6. Smeg

Smeg Opiates & Opioids Staff Member

Reputation Points:
    55 y/o Male from U.K.
    Further to other contributions, lorazepam (Ativan) IMHO is far more addictive thanks to it's short half life, and has possibly more potential for rebound anxiety than say a longer acting benzodiazepine.

If one were to chose one for a less addictive profile, then a longer acting one like diazepam or clonazepam would be much more preferable to taper from than lorazepam, if a choice is made to more comfortably withdraw eventually.