Legal - What do you think the chances are of Kratom ever being banned in the UK?

Discussion in 'Kratom' started by allme, Feb 21, 2015.

1. allme

allme Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Hi

I have been using Kratom for around 18 months. I cannot emphasise how it has turned my life around. I used to suffer from depression and other mental illness until I started Kratom. But now, I have never been happier!

My fear is that it will be banned...I have googled a bit and haven't found anything to suggest it will be in the near future but who is to say it won't be banned in yrs to come?

Would there be any way around getting it if the UK did ban it?

I am in a bit of a panic..my whole world would be turned upside down if it were ever banned :(

1. 3/5,
      Standard english is expected here, but we ask you do so people who don't speak english can follow your posts.
      Feb 21, 2015
  2. malsat

malsat Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    You shouldn't panic when there hasn't been any indication that it is about to happen. Even if it were banned, life would go on. The internet provides.

3. Openmymind

Openmymind Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Express your concerns to your local government and rally to keep it legal.

There is a chance it could get banned but Atleast you would be proactive with your anxiety .

4. ianzombie

ianzombie Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    43 y/o from ireland
    There was some talk recently about the British Government considering adopting a similar blanket ban on all psychoactive drug like how Ireland did it.
    I don't think there is too much to worry about right now but there is always a chance it will get banned eventually.
    Personally i would not recommend bringing it up with anyone until such a time as there is clear talk about it being possibly banned.

5. splish-splash

splish-splash Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    chances of it being banned are looking pretty damned high I'd say?

Unfortunately it looks like the UN classes kratom as an NPS drug (New Psychoactive Substances) and it's these NPS drugs which are to be made illegal. I certainly hope that kratom slips through the net but one would assume the UK government would go on the word of UN when it comes to classification.
    HTML:
     http://www.unodc.org/documents/scientific/NPS_2013_SMART.pdf
    Fingers crossed hey?

SS

6. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It's any psycho-active substance that is to be banned, Kratom will become illegal to import.

7. satsuma27

satsuma27 Newbie

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    It will become illegal in Great Britain,probably within a matter of weeks.

8. Calyspical

Calyspical Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    Just curious, what fits their definition of psycho-active ?
    The dictionary defines it as "a substance having a profound or significant effect on mental processes"
    Aren't the words "profound" and "significant", vague, broad, and subjective terms ?
    Caffeine can be considered psycho-active based on that, and a whole lot of other things, that society for the most part would be considered safe for public use

9. Amazing Jeans

Amazing Jeans Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Calyspical.....here is the proposed law....

Page 72... https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...INAL_NEW_2.pdf

Psychoactive Substances Bill

“New legislation will ban the new generation of psychoactive drugs”

The purpose of the Bill is to:

Protect hard working citizens from the risks posted by untested, unknown and potential harmful drugs.

Create a blanket ban which would prohibit and disrupt the production, distribution, sale and supply of new psychoactive substances (NPS) in the UK.

The main benefits of the Bill would be:

Protecting UK citizens from the risks posed by untested, unknown and potentially harmful NPS.

Complementing the existing UK drug legislative framework in the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

Providing a proportionate but robust response to the availability of NPS and the problems they cause.

The main elements of the Bill are:

The Bill would make it an offence to produce, supply, offer to supply, possess with intent to supply, import or export psychoactive substances; that is, any substance intended for human consumption that is capable of producing a psychoactive effect. The maximum sentence would be seven years imprisonment.

Substances, such as alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, food and medical products, would be excluded from the scope of the offence, as would controlled drugs, which would continue to be regulated by the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.

As recommended last year by the NPS Expert Panel, the Bill would focus on the supply of NPS and so would not include a personal possession offence.

Specific substances will continue to be controlled under the existing Misuse Drugs Act legislation (including possession) where they can be identified and their harms can be adequately assessed by the ACMD.

This legislation is supported by the Devolved Administrations and the Scottish government and the National Assembly for Wales have published their own reports calling for a blanket ban

The Bill would include provision for civil sanctions – prohibition notices and prohibition orders (breach of the latter would be a criminal offence) – to enable the police and local authorities to adopt a proportionate response to the supply of NPS in appropriate cases.

The Bill would also provide powers to seize and destroy NPS and powers to search persons, premises and vehicles, as well as to enter premises by warrant if necessary.

10. Calyspical

Calyspical Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.

More oxymorons
    They want to protect you from unknown, potentially harmful plants.
    But alcohol and tobacco, which are known and confirmed to be harmful, are perfectly acceptable

11. malsat

malsat Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from earth
    Imagine a world where every country adopts a blanket ban. You would have to go out and get your kratom off some shady guy on the street. Except there would probably be nobody selling kratom so I would end up back on heroin. Nice one, politicians!

12. kratomcalm

kratomcalm Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    Brilliant point! Isn't this world messed up and crazy!