What does ketamine in your brian

Discussion in 'Ketamine' started by Cevrix, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Cevrix

Cevrix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    Hi there!

I hope someone can help me out. I'm searching for some anwsers aboutketamine. One of the things I really can't find anyware on the web is how ketamine processes your brian. What does it do, witch kind of neurotransmitters are involved and what is the 'day after'-effect? I really would be helped!

Thanx!

2. BA

BA Palladium Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    The dissociative anaesthetics like ketamine, all block the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) neuroreceptor.

There's alot of info here on ketamine, dxm, pcp and other dissociative drugs

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/dxm_health1.shtml

3. Cevrix

Cevrix Newbie

Reputation Points:
    A lot of Thanx! Just what I was seeking for!

4. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    aparently acording to my g.p k can coures legions on the brain and holes through brain tissue with heavy use i dont if this is true as i am not a doctor he could of just been trying to get me to stop

5. Hyperreal

Hyperreal Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    That's a very controversial point at the moment.

This is your brain on dissociatives: The Bad News is Finally In was published in 1998 claiming that long term use of dissociatives (such as ketamine, DXM and PCP) caused Olney's lesions, which are little holes in the brain.

In June 2003, Cliff Anderson wrote The Bad News Isn't In in response to White's claims.

Then in December 2004, White retracted his original claims.

So no one really knows if dissociatives cause Olney's lesions. The jury is still out.

6. adzket

adzket R.I.P. Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    37 y/o from U.K.
    i wonder though as k does not have the same effect on me as when i started taking it, and even though i know you build up a tolarence to it i have stoped for vering lengths of time, still nothing like it used to be. maybe its cause i have holes in the bits k effects? hence it not working as it did. but hey who knows. i would hand myself over for reseach but i dont know if they test these out on humans whether its ethical or not?

7. Alfa

Alfa Productive Insomniac Staff Member Administrator

Reputation Points:
    117 y/o from The Netherlands
    Holes in your brain? No way. Never believe stupid claims like that.

8. Hyperreal

Hyperreal Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from ireland
    It's not a stupid claim. It definitely causes holes in the brains of rodents. Tht doesn't necessarily extrapolate to humans, but I wouldn't dismiss the claimentirely. What's stupid about it?