What drugs can a person with a heart condition / fast heart rate take?

Discussion in 'The euphoric body' started by VIKETIME, Feb 24, 2005.

1. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    well i've had a heart problem going on for the past i dunno how long and i have been completely sober. my heartrate is a constant 130 beats per minute as my resting heart rate. now i know drugs may not even be something i should consider, but im getting bored. does anyone know anythingi can try that won't increase it too bad or even decrease it? i was thinking opiates but i've had problems with them in the past. so maybe like xanax? alcohol? does anyone have suggestions?? and how much of a risk do u think pot or mushrooms are?? thanks!!

-VIKEEdited by: VIKETIME

2. William_Again

William_Again Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.S.A.
    first off if you have a problem with you heart, yeah you should stay
    away from all drugs cause of possible problems...but if it were SWIM,
    he'd probably stick to downers, or pot but he'd also read up on
    anything first before trying it!

3. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    with a heart rate like that i'd not be taking too much!! go for a bit off weed not much else! have you been to the doctors about it?

4. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yea i've been to the ER a couple times and it was up to 160bpm..i wore a heart monitor and took a few EKGs and they said it was beating normal and just dismissed me with that. im real nervous about pot because i hear u can have a heart attack easier when your high so i was wonderin if anyone else heard that? it sucks cuz i was so used to doin w/e i wanted now i can't do anything. oh well. anymore suggestions are welcomed. thanks!

-VIKE

5. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    i know that cannabis lowers blood glucose and blood pressure, i don't know that I'VE ever heard that cannabis can help cause heart attacks, who knows? i'm not that well informed. Does sound a bit like propaganda from the government or some other anti drugs group, one person has a heart attack (who was going to have one anyway) while high and they cry out that 'it was the drugs!' dunno tho. i would just go and ask your doctor, he can't report you or anything and he is there to give his 'professional' opinion.

as for something else to try, i couldn't possibly say, i wouldn't want you to have a h/a or something and have that on my conscience!Edited by: iggypoop2

6. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    Pot can definately increase your heart rate. I have not heard much about pot causing heart attacks though.

7. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    "In March 2000, researchers from the Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, MA, showed how marijuana use increases risk for heart attacks. In the first hour after smoking marijuana, that risk increases to nearly five times the normal risk level. After an hour or so, the risk level drops to twice the normal risk. Several hours later, a marijuana user's risk for having a heart attack resumes its normal level.

Many people may have never associated marijuana with heart attacks, especially with the prevailing concept of marijuana as a "mellowing" drug. The truth is that although energy levels decrease after smoking marijuana, blood pressure and heart rate actually increase. In fact, a marijuana smoker's heart rate can increase by about 40 beats per minute, double the normal rate. Blood pressure increases if the user is sedentary or lying down, but it drops drastically if the person stands up or becomes active. This fluctuating blood pressure results in dizziness."

that's what i read off a website so i don't know? does that sound like gov. bullshit or do u think its true?

8. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    what site did you get your info from? I wouldn't mind reading that article. cheers

9. sands of time

sands of time Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    I believe that information is true. I have always noticed the increase in heart rate and the dizzyness from standing. I would think that tolerance would cause these effects and risks to decrease though.

10. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yea but unfortuanately i haven't smoked for a couple months so i dont have a tolerance im sure. im debating how big of a risk it is. i wish i knew something else to keep me satisfied. i cant find anything about mushrooms and heart rate or many other drugs. its weird bcuz u never really notice those changes until it matters, i never realized how much faster stuff makes your heart beat. anyone who has ideas keep em coming lol.

-VIKE

11. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    I would be very careful with mushrooms. I have never heard that it increases the heart rate, but if you should get a bad trip(which can definetely be brought on by worrying about a heart attack) I would imagine your heart rate will increase. Or if you should have areally ecstatic experience, the same thing could happen.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you should stick todowners or opiates. Not a very good recommendation, I know. I don't know which country you're from, but if poppy pods are legal there, you could make some tea from them, just don't do it every day, save it for the weekends.

I've read that self-hypnosis and meditationusually decreases the heart rate, so that might be worth looking into for you. I never wear a heart monitor when I'm doing either of these activities so I can't sayfor sure if it's true, but I'll bet your local yoga-centre would be more than happy to provide you with detailed information and techniques.

Did you get this heart condition because of the use of any drugs? If so I would very much like to know.

I hope you'll find something thatmakes things less boring, good luck[​IMG].

12. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    it all started when i noticed my heart was beating real fast one time after taking adderall and smoking pot. but after that night it was fine for a few months, then i was on vicodin and smoked a bowl and it did it again. then everytime i smoked marijuana after that it got ridiculous and i quit but my heart rate kept getting faster after i quit all drugs for good. i was withdrawing from a long long pd. of use with opiates and a week or two later is when i was in the ER..so im not sure if any of those things had to do with the problem. but they never diagnosed me with anything just said ok its beating real fast cut down on caffeine then let me go. so whatever if something does happen ill have my parents sue the shit out of them lol. welp i guess ill have to be more careful with opiates this time, and downers wouldnt ever be a problem because i have a problem getting them to begin with. do u think if i smoked swag instead of nugs it wouldnt affect my heart so much??

-VIKE

13. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    If by swag you mean weed, then yes, with certain types of weed even more than hash. You should do some research on kava-kava. I tried to look through erowid's files to see what effect it had on heart rate, but was unable to find anything specific. It is not a stimulant and is sometimes used to treat stress and anxiety, so it may be that it is the thing for you. I'm considering using the herb for my insomnia, but in my country you need a prescription to get it. A doctor should be able to tell you which effect it has on heart rate. If you've had problems with opiates before, something like kava-kava might be a better alternative. But do research on the effect on your own, I'm only speculating here.

14. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    http://www.prevlink.org/getthefacts/facts/marijuanaheart.htm lthat is the site i found the article on for whoever wanted to read it.

by swag i meant lower grade weed versus nugs, i was thinking maybe that would be easier on my heart and its still pot. i am going to research more about kava-kava on erowid, but so far it looks interesting, something i will probably try thanks sunyata.

-VIKEEdited by: VIKETIME

15. Iggypoop

Iggypoop Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.
    lol, the site is an anti-drugs/whatever site, wouldn't take it as gospel, although they do mention a source for the information, which is unusual for that sort of site, prolly some truth in it (maybe just a little), sorry VIKETIME still can't think of anything to suggest to you, oh well [​IMG]

16. Woodman

Woodman A very strange person. Platinum Member & Advisor

Reputation Points:
    116 y/o from U.S.A.
    VIKETIME,

Your heart rate is almost twice what is considered
    normal.

You have a MAJOR problem!

Go see your MD about using drugs, but don't come
    here asking for tips; not in your condition.

17. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    I kind of agree with woodman, you should ask someone who has more extensive information on the subject, it would suck if you took kava-kava on my advice and went on and died of a heart attack. We may come up with some suggestions, but you have to consult a professional to make sure it's safe. And it would be best to avoid weed until you're sure it won't increase your heart rate, or at least have someone present who can drive you to the hospital if something should happen.

18. VIKETIME

VIKETIME Newbie

Reputation Points:
    yeah i know and understand that fully that there is a problem and that it is dangerous. im simply asking for suggestions i can research and try, it won't be anyones fault here if something does happen obviously i take full responsibility because i still have desire to take drugs. im not dumb enough to just go off and take something especially if im not familiar with it, i WILL research and ask my doctor what things will cause problems. and although it is fast, the beat is normal which is a good thing, it may not be as dangerous as it sounds, but it does bother me and freak me when i can feel my heartbeat. i dont want to be rude but i dont need people trying to be my parents or anything i am responsible for myself and i already said maybe drugs shouldn't even be considered in my situation, but they ARE going to be, so i was trying to get suggestions for safer ones..so whatever sorry for the post..

-VIKE

19. sunyata

sunyata Gold Member

Reputation Points:
    from norway
    No need to be sorry, I just wanted to add a little disclaimer to my previous resposnses. I have no desire at all to tell you what to do with your life, so don't worry about that.

peace

20. scienceman

scienceman Silver Member

Reputation Points:
    from U.K.